iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar for Stihl 090

Started by Luke63, November 04, 2013, 07:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke63

Hi newb here,

I have been milling with my brother for several years now combination of bandsaw and alaskan. I recently picked up an old sperber mill with stihl 090's. It had been sitting for several years so I took the heads to the stihl dealer to check them out and get a 42" bar for one man milling. He ordered a stilhl rollomatic but said it did not fit right hardly any adjustment. He talked to the sthil reps they are now sending a duromatic which is 60 bucks more. I would like to have a sprocket tip. Are there other manufacturers with bars available in that size. Not having much luck online getting steared toward the rollomatic or getting no results for that big of a bar.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Luke

thecfarm

Luke63,welcome to the forum. What have you got for a bandmill? What's all the lumber being used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Our sponsor Baileys Woodsmen Supply sells these big mount bars , also Cannon can make you anything ....if they still do individual orders.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sawguy21

I had a dealer call today looking for a short bar for an 090, his customer was afraid he would hurt himself with what he had. Sounds like he really should have a smaller saw. Oregon no longer offers much with the E031 mount, only found 25" and 36" in .404x.063. Cannon will make anything you want if your pockets are deep enough.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Here's a pic of the shortest bar in .063- .404 I have for my 090AV......17"

Oliver1655

Willard, I don't suppose you have a problem with that 090 bogging down with the 17" bar.  ;D
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

tlandrum

ive got several hard nose bars that I believe will fit the 090 and I think I have a 20'' sprocket nose that im not ever going to use.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

sawguy21

Quote from: Oliver1655 on November 05, 2013, 07:19:22 AM
Willard, I don't suppose you have a problem with that 090 bogging down with the 17" bar.  ;D
He best move the governor spring to keep that puppy from over revving.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 05, 2013, 02:23:12 PM
I think you already know what I did to my 090 sawguy21 ;D, so I'll tell the others........since new I disabled my 090's governor by wrapping the governor vane spring 1 full wrap around the vane's shaft and hooked it back into the adjustment dog plate. [I guess that calls for a photo :D] This mod keeps the the choke shutter taut at WOT and not being able to close which what makes the governor work.
I've milled and bucked with this mod on the 090 for years and never had the cylinder off, still close to 200 psi compression with maximum h.p..

clww

That 17" bar looks silly! :D :D :D
When I bought my 090, it came with a 21" bar/chain combo. Gathering dust since that day when I took it off.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HolmenTree

Quote from: clww on November 05, 2013, 07:37:15 PM
That 17" bar looks silly! :D :D :D
When I bought my 090, it came with a 21" bar/chain combo. Gathering dust since that day when I took it off.
To be honest with you that old Windsor 17" Stihl bar came with a Stihl 08 back in the early '70s. I used that bar in my early days of timbersports with the 090's, until I retired it and had General and Cannon make me custom competiton bars with Oregon 2 7/8" roller noses..
BTW it makes the Husky 338XPT-16"  on the carton below it look real wimpy :D

LaegersATC500R

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 05, 2013, 03:54:52 PM
I think you already know what I did to my 090 sawguy21 ;D, so I'll tell the others........since new I disabled my 090's governor by wrapping the governor vane spring 1 full wrap around the vane's shaft and hooked it back into the adjustment dog plate. [I guess that calls for a photo :D] This mod keeps the the choke shutter taut at WOT and not being able to close which what makes the governor work.
I've milled and bucked with this mod on the 090 for years and never had the cylinder off, still close to 200 psi compression with maximum h.p..

PLEASE post pictures. I just ran into a similar problem on the job site with my 090. I used a tie wrap to keep it going.
Morton Downey Jr. was a good man.

Luke63

Quote from: thecfarm on November 04, 2013, 07:41:58 PM
Luke63,welcome to the forum. What have you got for a bandmill? What's all the lumber being used for?
Hudson 30" @ MK-III C2 56" w/880 for on site. Mostly furniture, live edge, traditional and some construction material for personal projects and some resale.

Luke63

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 04, 2013, 07:42:12 PM
Our sponsor Baileys Woodsmen Supply sells these big mount bars , also Cannon can make you anything ....if they still do individual orders.
I have looked at Baileys they list the rollomatic and a cannon not sure if the stihl bar will have the same problem or the tech ordered the wrong bar. Trying to support the local dealer but leaning toward the cannon its not much more than the duromatic he quoted.

qbilder

Tech ordered wrong bar. AFAIK Any bar beginning with 3002 in the part number should fit.
God bless our troops

HolmenTree

Quote from: LaegersATC500R on November 06, 2013, 05:46:21 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on November 05, 2013, 03:54:52 PM

PLEASE post pictures. I just ran into a similar problem on the job site with my 090. I used a tie wrap to keep it going.
Ok here is how I disabled my 090AV's governor to get maximum h.p. Like any saw keep the Hi speed adjustment "safe".

In the 1st pic you'll see where the factory marked the adjustment teeth with a red mark where the pretensioned spring was set at, when I bought this saw new it had a varnish seal drop on the spring and tooth notch to seal it in place to  [to help dealer to judge warranty issues if the governor was tampered with]
The 2nd pic shows where I wrapped the spring one extra revolution around the wind vane shaft. This extra spring tension prevents the flywheel from moving the wind vane which is connected to the choke's butterfly shutter linkage.
With the factory spring tension setting at WOT the wind off the flywheel would close the choke shutter about 1/3 which keeps the rpm at a pre judged level.
With this modification the manual choke control still works perfectly.

mmartone

How bout this one? ebay item Windsor 36" Bar 404 .063 Gauge NOS Bar Chainsaw 360763STB
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Thank You Sponsors!