iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New ball and chain, eerrr bar

Started by mmartone, November 07, 2013, 05:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

Got my new 32" bar and chains (2 skip, 2 ripping) from loggerchain.com today for my 372xp, put a new plug in her too. I ordered the husky pieces for that neat little muffler mod ED did a while back, for a little more power, should be here next week. Stuck in a little pine log and made a cut, much nicer with new sharp parts! Does this bar make my saw look small?  :D

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

sharkey

Very nice.  We have one that has the reduced weight bar on it. 
http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_lightweightbar.htm

mmartone

Interesting, why not just plasma or water jet some big holes in the bar, save all that machining and aluminum inserts. There would still be ties from top to bottom and with them you couldnt get the bar cattywhompass after the bottom cut through, keeping the bar straight in the wood.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Ianab

Limbing... You are going to get stubs and loose branches going through the bar all the time. Would drive you nuts.  >:(
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HolmenTree

Quote from: Ianab on November 07, 2013, 07:32:28 PM
Limbing... You are going to get stubs and loose branches going through the bar all the time. Would drive you nuts.  >:(
Not only that but your bar will jam up solid stuck in the first big log you cut. Been there done that :D
Back in the early 1980s when I built a motorcycle engine chainsaw for competiton I thought of a big idea from seeing old McCullach advertisements from the 1950s where some of the old saws had large holes in their bars to reduce weight. So I had a machinist mill out 4 holes in my beautiful machined General bar.
Well on my bikesaw it seemed to work ok cutting through a dry cant at warp speed, but when I got to a local competiton with a wet green log my saw got stuck solid in the first cut. Lesson well learned so I ended  up with one of the first aluminum weight reduced bars , it took me a lot of JB Weld and aluminum cutouts but 30 yrs later the bar is still good :laugh:

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!