iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting ready for Spring……WHAT?????

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 04, 2013, 06:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The corn has been picked and nothings left in the fields except Collard Greens.
The frost has took it's toll on the weeds......now its time to burn the fields and disk for next Spring.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Holmes

How are you involved in this? Do you do the permitting, oversee or start these fires?
  Around here this type of burning is not allowed.
Think like a farmer.

MrPete

We do this IN the Spring! When the ground is still wet.:o

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Holmes on November 04, 2013, 06:16:08 PM
How are you involved in this? Do you do the permitting, oversee or start these fires?
  Around here this type of burning is not allowed.

This is my real job Holmes. I'm with the Forest Service. We burn 100's of acres a year to prepare land for new Pine trees.
Every year I burn the farm off. After the frost kills everything, I wait on the right wind direction, the right humidity and the correct weather numbers where the smoke is going straight up.
I have to call my dispatch center like everyone else and get a number and also notify our 911 center where I will be burning and what I am burning.
If I don't......somebody will call a WildFire in,  and here come the Fire Trucks and Forest Service....ME.

This burn was 46 acres. I put my fire breaks around it with my Dozer/Plow and fired it up.  :)

thecfarm

We use to burn the fields here.Long before anyone needed to be called to let them know what we was doing. Than I got a job that I had to work 12 hours,just about 1 hour compute too. That just about put an end to burning the field. Only have a little time to do it,conditions have to be just right. When it was just right,I was working. Our fires was just small ones too. I don't think the flames got 10 feet high. And that would be out of the norm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moosehunter

Do that kind of burning in NY and someone will be in hand cuffs :o
I used to see it often when I was a much younger lad. Not any more.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

sandhills

I think I need you to come over and help out with some excess erc, the more I think about it you could take some home with you.....hmm....who knows what you could build!

:D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sandhills....I believe I could make Deer Blinds out of those tops.  :)

sandhills

We do, they work good   ;).  Those are actually the full tree (mauled down by cattle) and that picture was taken from a tree stand about 15' up.  Erc makes a really nice windbreak but in pastures around here they're more of a weed than anything else.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

They do sorta look like TUMBLE WEEDS in an Old West Town.  :)

sandhills

Yeah they actually blow like them too once you cut them off  :D, isn't much fun cleaning them out of the fenclines though!

m wood

last burn I "helped with" like that was 30 years ago in Oregon.  It's a thrill!  I'm with Moosehunter, here in NY thats a big no no.  Between you and me (and now the WWW) I bootleg a good 'ol slash fire now and then anyway :D
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: m wood on November 05, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
I bootleg a good 'ol slash fire now and then anyway :D
mark

Ya DanG Bootlegger!  :D :D :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!