iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a firewood trailer

Started by ryguy777, November 04, 2013, 06:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryguy777

im gonna be pulling a firewood trailer out of the weeds that my great grandpa built and getting it usable again cause my current trailer cant even handle a full face chord of wood too well. its got some front spindles and hubs off some old car. for starters it will prolly need new tires and rims and I dought I can find ones that'll fit it since there so old. I have an old rear axle from a ford ranger im considering putting under it, and I was just curious what you guys have done...... I will prolly remove the ring and pinion gears and yoke to gain clearance. any other suggestions? what ever input you guys  have id appreciate :)

Holmes

Put some air in the tires and see what it can handle.  It might surprise you. :)
Think like a farmer.

DaleK

You can probably sell it for scrap and buy something more reliable on CL with the money
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Hilltop366

I don't think you can gut the rear end from a ford ranger, it has to be the type of rear end that you can remove the axle without taking off the wheel, usually found on 3/4 or one ton and up, if it is a 1/2 ton or less the inner side of the axle need to be held in place by the crown.

I suppose you could be talking about the old full size ranger?

Larro Darro

I have an old one roll hay trailer that uses a truck axle. It still rolls, but I haven't used it in years though. Once I borrowed a firewood trailer like you are talking about. The axle froze up as I was going down the highway with a load of wood. I had to borrow a bigger trailer to move the wood, then the trailer.

Larro
Make good money. Five dollars a day.
Made anymore, I might move away.

thecfarm

I have no idea what you have for a welder,maybe none?f so,you could weld some new ones onto the old ones. As long as it's not going down the road,it will work fine. I have some of those old axles around. The old straight axle,just flip them over and I have plenty of clearance to go over the rocks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ryguy777

no its just a regular semi floater/ c clip axle from a little ranger. my plan was to leave the carrier just without the ring gear and input shaft, the yoke spinning will grab a bunch of junk. I kind of would like to cut the housing for the input shaft down as far as I can then weld a plate over it. the trailer is one heck of a trailer I prolly wouldn't mess with it cause its build pretty well, I just don't think id rims with that bolt pattern, with tires still on them... I may be able to patch up the rims if I can find tires.... this old trailer never will need to go down the road faster then my ford 8n's road gear, its gonna go up in the woods then a mile down the road to the house behind a slow tractor

ryguy777

that's an excellent idea cfarm! and I have a trusty tombstone Lincoln buzzbox

thecfarm

I also would put tubes in the tires too. Or I do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Alexanderthelate

Is there an advantage to tubes over tubeless? I'm more favorable to tubeless, myself, they're easier to fix.  ???

thecfarm

Ever have about a half cord of wood on a trailer and come up against a rock or a stump and the tire flexes and you lose the air in the tire? I just had that happen to my front tractor tire last night. I was carrying a BIG rock and came up against another rock and that was it. I took it this morning to have a tube put in it. Now both fronts are done.

ryguy777

my trailer I use for wood now might handle a face chord of wood now, which still isn't much. I prolly had that much on it the other week pulling a load down off the hill and the tires were squatting pretty good but I thought it'd make it home.... well nope... im not sure what I hit but one tire went flat the tire rolled right off the bead, the other tire did this already and got a tube. the trailer still cant handle anymore that a face chord of firewood though

thecfarm

I go to the guy that I buy tires from,small town,but he has a steady stream of customers and I get my trailers tires from him.Just cost me to have them put on.The tires dry rot and time to get some diffeant ones. If running pickup tires,might be able to get some 8 plys.

Alexanderthelate

I have never had a large load on a trailer, so thank you for telling me that Cfarm . Still hate fooling around with tubes though...  :)

thecfarm

In all the times I had a tube in a tire,I never had problems with it loosing air all at once.,unless the tire just rotted out. But no tube,I have problems with it losing air. So in my case I hate fooling with a tubeless tire.  ;D

Dave Shepard

If you've got a Lincoln Tombstone, you've got something better than a buzzbox. ;)

There are tons of trailers out there made from car and truck axles. If you can bolt that Ranger axle under there, it should work fine. I don't think I'd bother with the innards. If you are really worried, you could torch most of the yoke off so it's smooth, but it's not likely to bother much either.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Alexanderthelate

I just worry about nails and broken glass, tubed or tubeless, it's the devil.  :'(

Dave Shepard

My Kubota backhoe has one tubed and one tubeless on the front. I used to have to fuss all the time with adding air, but only add a few pounds a year to the tubed tire. The other one is a constant problem. Just this morning I had to take it apart and put a new valve stem in, and a couple of days ago I Slimed it. It's got a few plugs, too. :D I should get a tube and patch the holes and be done with it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ryguy777

I may just stick the axle under, I'm not sure yet. the more I think about it I think I may be better off trying to weld in the wheel ceneters into different wheels... the trailer was a real brute back in the day from what ive heard so that might be the best way... I really just need to get into the project to figure out which way I need to go with it

beenthere

Would you post a pic of the trailer you found in the bush? Sounds interesting, to say the least.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ryguy777

i'll see if I can I think im going after it tomorrow, if the tires hold any air then im prolly gonna haul wood with it back to the house, gotta clean a tree up at my aunt and uncles house up the road... looks like it might have been an old manure spreader but im not sure my uncle says my great grandpa built it

mrcaptainbob

Check the bolt spacing. Dollarstodoughnuts you can match up some Chrysler truck rims or maybe something from Jeep..... After that, tires are a cinch.

thecfarm

I made a trailer from a ½ ton Ford pick up axle. I have to think about where I am going with it. Most of my wood roads there are rocks,stumps sticking up in the middle of the road. That pumpkin would hit on that.

ryguy777

im thinking these are some old weird rims measurement from the 50's but im not sure... a big part of this project is trying to spend as little money as possible haha. im gonna see if I can pull it out today and look it over and see whats gotta get done, hopefully will have pictures

thecfarm

Quote from: ryguy777 on November 05, 2013, 08:39:41 AM
a big part of this project is trying to spend as little money as possible haha.

I know how that is.

Thank You Sponsors!