iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started by Warfarin, November 03, 2013, 09:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warfarin

Hey everybody I'm Robert.  Looking forward to becoming a part of this comunity.

Couple of questions for ya.  I was given a Solo 647.  Didn't run well.  Had a friend fix it and now runs awesome.  Just need to get a quality chain for it.  So question is, does anybody know the specs for this saw or know where I can get them?  I did a search on here for it and found nothing.  Mainly just want to know how many cc's (guessing 47) and max bar length.

Next question.  What is the best type of chain for dirty wood (Juniper).  I used a anti-kick back semi-chisel and it dulled out pretty fast (Oregon).  Neighbor used a semi-chisel skip chain (Sthil) and it didn't last and better.  Guessing it is the semi-chisel but heard full-chisel dulls even faster.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Solo 647
McCullough Eager Beaver 2.0
HomelitePro 4620

7sleeper

1. Do you have a bar for your saw? If yes there should be engraved what is needed. If not buy a new setup. As far as I know you need a 095 bar type.

2. Dirty wood! Don't expect any type of chain to last more than a few cuts! You can do a few things to prolong the life.
a) usually semi chisel lasts longer than full chisel
b) clean the surface the best you can
c) change your cutting technique

I clean the surface by using an ax to cut a narrow grouve on very dirty wood. Then I use a plunge cut technique into the tree trunk and from there on only try to cut "outwards". So that the chain only has minimal contact with the dirty bark/wood. Of course this takes more time than normal cutting, but still is faster than constant filling or chainswaping.  ;D

Now I have a question. Why do you name yourself after a antikoagulant? Especially an outdated one if you go by the newest research data.

Good luck,

Warfarin

Saw does have a bar but it is an aftermarket one

Got the name from the 80's playing D&D.  I heard it and thought it would be a great name for a Ranger character.

Thanks for the tip
Solo 647
McCullough Eager Beaver 2.0
HomelitePro 4620

Thank You Sponsors!