iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loggers are Tough guys

Started by Peter Drouin, October 29, 2013, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

loggah,I must ask why did challenge the torque convertor to an arm wrestling contest?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: loggah on November 02, 2013, 07:40:07 AM
I never got cut !!!! knock on wood, but i been bent,and twisted a few times, like getting my arm caught up in my Franklin winch driveshaft, and arm wrestling the torque convertor for a hour and 40 minutes ,before a neighbor showed up and shut down my machine. I'm real lucky it had a convertor and wasn't direct drive or i would have no arm or be dead!!!! still got a lot of nerve damage in my left hand and forearm along with frostbite  from my arm being jammed against the skidder frame in 0 degree weather. Don

smiley_wavy smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Oregon_Grown

You guys that log are tough.  My father and my husband were both loggers.  The hours were bad enough, I only saw them on weekends if even then or when they got shut out of the woods, but when you start thinking of the conditions like the terrain packing in and out all that equipment, the heat, the cold, the mud and just the plain dangers of working in the woods, you got to go.. *DanG I got it easy.  As a kid I knew my father was busy and worked hard, but I had no idea until I met my husband how tough it was to work in the woods.  My hats off to all you guys and how tough you have to be do the work you do.   
Life is what you make of it!  Better half is Gologit.

GATreeGrower

Fire ants and chiggers arent fun either  :D

clww

I haven't gotten cut, YET, but I have had a finger cut off (wood splitter accident), broken back, broken ribs, crushed toes, broken neck, cracked sternum, dislocated shoulders, etc. I did go to the doctor about six weeks ago after I got my first case of poison ivy that would not go away. Even after I gave some of it to my wife. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

barbender

Man oh man, some of you guys are hard on yourselves :o About the toughest thing I've had to deal with is the aforementioned poison ivy. It's a real bummer when you get that on your "unspeakable" parts :(
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

Quote from: clww on November 04, 2013, 06:53:58 PM
I haven't gotten cut, YET, but I have had a finger cut off (wood splitter accident), broken back, broken ribs, crushed toes, broken neck, cracked sternum, dislocated shoulders, etc. I did go to the doctor about six weeks ago after I got my first case of poison ivy that would not go away. Even after I gave some of it to my wife. :D

Are you sure you should be leaving the house? :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sandhills

clww, the only thing I can think of that you should have followed that post up with is "so I've been pretty lucky".  :D

redprospector

This thread brings me to mind of a Bobby Bare song from the 70's. It's called "The Winner".
The chorus went something like this.
I've got arthritic elbows boy, I've got dislocated knee's
from pickin' fights with thunder storms, and chargin' into tree's.
Why my nose been broke so often I might loose it if I sneeze........

Personally, I'm a wimp.  :D

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Okrafarmer

Wimp here.  :-\ To quote the affable Daffy Duck, "I'm not like other people. I can't stand pain. It hurts me!"  ::)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

gologit

Quote from: redprospector on November 04, 2013, 10:35:36 PM
This thread brings me to mind of a Bobby Bare song from the 70's. It's called "The Winner".
The chorus went something like this.
I've got arthritic elbows boy, I've got dislocated knee's
from pickin' fights with thunder storms, and chargin' into tree's.
Why my nose been broke so often I might loose it if I sneeze........

Personally, I'm a wimp.  :D

Andy

Yup.  I'm on one of those aluminum walker thingies for awhile.  Tried to fly a step-ladder last week and crashed on take-off.  ::)
Semi-retired...life is good.

ely

my boss, years ago when he just started a job for an electric co-op, cut his leg above the knee with a chainsaw. it was the first week on  the job and he was worried about getting fired so he toughed it out and went home that evening sewed it up himself. the company heard about it a day later and made him go to the doctor to get checked out..... the PA told him he was not going to touch it, it was a better sewing job than he could do.

clww

There's some members on here that have been hurt worse than me, so I have been lucky. One thing I will not do is run a saw/mess with any wood on the 9th of each month. After three separate visits to the ER on that day each time, I figured why tempt fate anymore?
During my military career, I got arthritis in both knees and was "awarded" the Purple Heart twice.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

redprospector

Quote from: gologit on November 05, 2013, 08:39:05 AM
Yup.  I'm on one of those aluminum walker thingies for awhile.  Tried to fly a step-ladder last week and crashed on take-off.  ::)

Hate to hear that Bob, I thought you knew that step-ladders are very unstable in flight.
I'm fighting being the human weather station pretty bad this year. My knees told me the weather was going to change today.....last week.
I hope you weren't hurt bad in the crash.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

barbender

I remember reading Autocar's injury history somewhere, it was quite extensive.
Too many irons in the fire

gologit

Quote from: redprospector on November 06, 2013, 12:26:43 AM
Quote from: gologit on November 05, 2013, 08:39:05 AM

Hate to hear that Bob, I thought you knew that step-ladders are very unstable in flight.
I'm fighting being the human weather station pretty bad this year. My knees told me the weather was going to change today.....last week.
I hope you weren't hurt bad in the crash.

Andy

Not too bad.  Torn muscles, no breaks. I've had both and the torn muscles always seem to take longer to heal. The worst thing about it was that I missed the NorCal GTG at Calistoga.  Slowp, Paccity, Madhatte, Spotted Owl and some others made it down from the far north but I couldn't even get out of the house.  I tried to figure a way to rig the aluminum walker to my suspenders but the whole thing made the wife very nervous. 
There's another GTG the first week in June in Oregon...c'mon out.

The only good thing about all that is I finished my last job for the year a couple of weeks ago so I'll have time to heal up.
Semi-retired...life is good.

tlandrum

i don't know whether i would say im tough or go with the wifes theory and say im stupid. several years ago i cut a big white oak and broke the top out of a 12'' dbh hickory. not wanting to waste the wood in the broken hickory i walked up to the hickory scoped it out bent over to start my cut and was crushed in the blink of an eye. it broke  three ribs,cracked collar bone a couple of fingers and my back.  that was at 9am. being a family man i told my partner at the time i think ill be ok and at 11am went back into the woods and fell timber the rest of the day. i went to the er the next day and got x rays they didn't mention the cracked vertebrae at the time. so i wrapped up and went back to work. i kept having back troubles later on and got a doctor to check it out and was told that i had ,had a compression fracture. i guess im lucky it didn't paralize me.  here it is 10 yrs later and i do good to walk now let alone log anymore. i guess my wife is the one that is correct. 
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

g_man

Loggers are tough. There is no question, They have to be.
But being tough and not going to the doctor are two different things I have found out.
I had not seen a doctor for anything for more than 25 years. They were just out to get my money and were a general hassle. I always managed to fix myself up or gut it out. Then last spring I hurt my back and could not stand or walk w/o crumbling. The wife hauled me to the ER. They helped a little and told me I needed to see my primary care physician. I said what is that? They said you better find out.
I had trouble finding a dr who would take me. They were all full up with patients. Finally I found one but he said I needed a complete physical before he would help me with the back. Long story short he found prostate cancer that had progressed quite a bit farther than it should have. He told me it was a *DanG good thing I hurt my back so bad because if I went two more years it would be to late.
I don't need sympathy. I am getting treatments and I will survive. I am a happy man, it is taking a long time with my back but I can now run my saw, tractor and dozer. Just not all day.
My point is that in my case not going to a doctor was more stupidity than toughness. Don't do this to yourself and family like I did.
BTW - all the med people I have met, and there are an awful lot of them, are genuinely caring people with my problem at heart. I have no sense they are out to fleese me. If anything it is just the opposite.

Draco

Quote from: g_man on November 06, 2013, 12:33:22 PM
BTW - all the med people I have met, and there are an awful lot of them, are genuinely caring people with my problem at heart. I have no sense they are out to fleese me. If anything it is just the opposite.

You are very lucky!  I have not had the same experience with the medical professionals.

I'm not a logger.  I just cut enough to heat my Michigan home every year with my OWB.  I'm on propane this year.

Last November a lump showed up on my throat when I went to shave before work.  I went straight to my PCP and was sent for a biopsy of the lymph node that swelled overnight, immediately.  Squamous cell carcinoma and it got to the lymph node from somewhere else.  That made me stage 3 - T1N1.  The radiology oncologist said that I might make it to this Christmas with 7 - 9 weeks of radiation and two types of chemo.  The next day the chemo oncologist said that I was too thin for the treatments without a feeding tube inserted directly into my stomach.  Apparently I would not be able to swallow because my throat would be burned from the radiation too badly, but somehow, I'd be able to vomit (from the chemo treatments) food pumped into my stomach.  They biopsied, removed a lymph node and screwed around until late February, when they found the primary tumor in my tonsil.  The team of three doctors never changed their treatment strategy, so I told them that I was just going on Hospice.  They asked me to see another doctor at a major university.  I agreed and he said that we should do some major surgery, send everything to pathology and see what they said.  That sounded better.  They found a small tumor in my tonsil in March.  It had not spread anywhere, other than the single node and was contained within the tonsil margins.  They declared me cancer free and don't want me back for tests.  I should have a good stack of firewood for next season.  I'm almost healed and have done some work with a small saw.  I am going to send the radiology oncologist a BIG Christmas card!  Some health care professionals are not professionals, even in a "team".  My PCP insisted that I file a case with their medical review board for the whole team of doctors that wanted to poison me for no reason, other than chemo is 5 - 10K per dose and I have good insurance.  This was my second life threatening condition that this hospital botched.  I won't go back to that place for stitches!  Never assume that a medical professional is doing what is in your best interest.  It isn't always the case.  In my experience, it is usually the opposite.  I saved my quality of life, if not my life, by refusing the initial treatment program.

redprospector

Quote from: gologit on November 06, 2013, 09:58:27 AM
Not too bad.  Torn muscles, no breaks. I've had both and the torn muscles always seem to take longer to heal. The worst thing about it was that I missed the NorCal GTG at Calistoga.  Slowp, Paccity, Madhatte, Spotted Owl and some others made it down from the far north but I couldn't even get out of the house.  I tried to figure a way to rig the aluminum walker to my suspenders but the whole thing made the wife very nervous. 
There's another GTG the first week in June in Oregon...c'mon out.

The only good thing about all that is I finished my last job for the year a couple of weeks ago so I'll have time to heal up.

Sounds like a blast. A trip west doesn't sound too bad. Never know, I might surprise you guy's.
I'm glad you're going to have time to let it heal up good.

Andy

redprospector

Quote from: tlandrum on November 06, 2013, 11:31:54 AM
i don't know whether i would say im tough or go with the wifes theory and say im stupid. several years ago i cut a big white oak and broke the top out of a 12'' dbh hickory. not wanting to waste the wood in the broken hickory i walked up to the hickory scoped it out bent over to start my cut and was crushed in the blink of an eye. it broke  three ribs,cracked collar bone a couple of fingers and my back.  that was at 9am. being a family man i told my partner at the time i think ill be ok and at 11am went back into the woods and fell timber the rest of the day. i went to the er the next day and got x rays they didn't mention the cracked vertebrae at the time. so i wrapped up and went back to work. i kept having back troubles later on and got a doctor to check it out and was told that i had ,had a compression fracture. i guess im lucky it didn't paralize me.  here it is 10 yrs later and i do good to walk now let alone log anymore. i guess my wife is the one that is correct.

I figure that your wife may be right, may be wrong. Hard to tell from here.  :D
My Dad used to say that there is a fine line between tough, and stupid. He said that I walked astraddle of it most of the time.  :D

Andy

Cedar Savage

I used to think i was tough untill..
I was working on a Sunday, because a cabin weekender wanted six pulp cord firewood delivered, when he was up. I was in a hurry & trimming up the load, before chaining it down. I was alone, heck I logged by my self all the time when I was tough.
It was an old tandem Ford, flat bed dump, with a double stick shift.
  Anyway after I loaded it,  I was going down the side of the load, nipping long ones off  & the saw kicked back.  I caught the bar with my left hand, fubarring my fingers!

I was alone, an couldn't drive that dam truck no matter how I tried, with my fingers dangling & bleeding all over the dash. This was before cell phones...
So I climbed out & sat down on a log an gathered my wits, & decided the only way out, was walking the 2 miles to the nearest house. It was a long walk out, looking at those saw chain tracks all over my hand. I had stop the blood flow by squeezing my left wrist with right hand.

I made it to the house, I had covered my hand with my tee shirt by then, so it wouldn't freak them out. They gave me a ride to the hospital, all calm like. I sat in the back seat wondering how many fingers I was gonna loose.

The surgeons were able to put everything back together, & I couldn't run a saw for awhile. Now I got all my fingers & I'm not so tough. Nor will I run a chainsaw way back in the woods all by myself.
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

treeslayer2003

hey Andy. Bob, i'm so sorry to hear about the ladder thing. hopefully you will be out n about in no time.

Thank You Sponsors!