iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Converting an LT40 Super to an LT50.

Started by Dave Shepard, November 02, 2013, 07:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Will the vertical backstops and chain turner bolt onto an LT40 Super frame? I want to make my BX24 into a hydraulic, and I'm wondering if I can move the claw turner and swinging backstops to the bed extension and buy the chain turner and vertical backstops for the mill. Not necessarily as worried about the backstops as I am about the turner. The claw turner can be a real pain sometimes, and I think I'd be much happier with the chain turner.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fishpharmer

Dave, I really don't know the answer.  Although, I am confident that an lt50 frame is essentially an lt70 frame with a lt40 super saw head.  That being said the lt40 and lt50-70 frames appear to be substantially different.   

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

drobertson

Dave, I'm not sure either, I ran a chain turner bout a year ago, I kinda like my claw a lil better, it may have been that particular mill, the turner seemed to be off a lil bit on the angle of the bar. And it could be me,  all said I hope you get it like you want it,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

Dave,
I told a WM rep that I thought the chain turner would be better than the claw, he disagreed.  I have problems sometimes with the claw getting stuck in a log or not  being  able to grip a log because of its shape. He gave me the impression that I would not be any happier with the cahin turner.  Maybe some 50 or 70 owners could add to the discusssion.
John Snyder
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Dave Shepard

Interesting. I like the claw, most of the time. Sometimes it gets on the wrong side of a log, or it gets stuck in the bottom of a cant, and if it's a timber, it can ruin it. I'm trying to speed up my log handling, as I think that is the best way to improve sawing time. I have a big hydraulic power pack that I want to hook to the mill and that will speed up the functions over stock as well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

backwoods sawyer

I have the very first LT-70 that was built, dec 2000,
Being the prototype mill they took an LT-40 frame and stuck an LT-70 head on as well as adding the chain turner. Found that out when I started rebuilding it when I brought it home in 06. Whether there was some modification to the frame to accommodate the log turner is a question for woodmizer, but can it be done? It was done on my mill.

I like the chain log turner, but it does spin out on logs with thick bark. I would like to add a second chain turner and spread them out to the two holes on each side of the one it is in and add a second clamp and still call it an LT-70.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

AdamT

When I picked up my new 40 in Indy, I'm 99% sure they told me the frames were all the same from the 40 on up to the 70, it's the power options, cutting head, and hydraulics that are different. He said when they build the mills, the frames are all the same, but different pieces are mounted to it to make the different models.

Maybe I heard wrong, and someone from WM will confirm or deny that.

I too at times wish I had the chain turner, that and the diesel.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

JFarmer

Dave I owned a LT70 and I loved the chain turner. If I could put a chain turner on my 40 I would do it in a heartbeat! The claw turner is a joke!
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: JFarmer on November 05, 2013, 06:32:45 PM
The claw turner is a joke!

I've never had or used the chain turner but I've seen Custom Sawyer use his. He can operate his chain turner on his lT70 to put the log in position where he needs it quick.

But I have to disagree with the claw turner being a JOKE. I have the claw turner on my LT 40 HD and can do anything I need to to position a log for my best cut.

If one thinks the claw turner is a joke.......you probably need a little more practice to master it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Yes the frame is the same on the mills from the LT28 up to the LT70. But, ( you knew this was coming) The frame is different in areas where attachments are needed. Some are bolted and some are welded. There is not a kit I know of that you can get all the parts and weld them on.
Wood Mizer would be liable if they made such a kit and you welded it on your mill. That is why they do not offer it.  There is also more to it than just the weld on parts to think about. You need to also think about axle weight and the extra valves hoses etc.
I like the chain turner and I like the claw turner. Each have advantages and disadvantages. I would not call the turner a joke but each to their own opinion.

I have seen customers add hydraulics to the bed extensions from parts purchased from WM and they work well. This would be special order parts or parts from a mill that was damaged beyond repair.

Yes if you are not portable operation a aux hydraulic system works well. Please make sure you think safely before adding parts to an existing system.

We just heard of a sawmill operator falling into a circle saw a couple of weeks ago. It was not a good outcome for him or his family. I am not real sure of the exact details.
Please be safe.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bibbyman

I wonder how well the chain turner would work without the 15" vertical rod back supports that come on the LT50 and LT70.   I understand there are a couple of chain designs.  Maybe one would work better on logs with deep, soft bark.

Maybe the best way to upgrade to chain turner would be to upgrade to an LT50 or LT70?  ;D  Maybe need to spend some money to have new capital credit deductions on taxes? 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

drobertson

I have to say in regards to my personal experience with the chain roller, it was a remote lt-70, 06' model that had the electric flipper switches rather than the straight hydraulic, which removed any feathering of the hydraulic controls.  I'm not sure if this was this particular mill or typical of all electrics.  I just know how important feathering hydraulics are to my and my way of doing things.  It's kinda like a passing gear, you only need the speed at certain times, the rest of the time controlled power.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

stavebuyer

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 05, 2013, 12:48:46 PM
Interesting. I like the claw, most of the time. Sometimes it gets on the wrong side of a log, or it gets stuck in the bottom of a cant, and if it's a timber, it can ruin it. I'm trying to speed up my log handling, as I think that is the best way to improve sawing time. I have a big hydraulic power pack that I want to hook to the mill and that will speed up the functions over stock as well.
Power pack is a big improvement. In addition to speeding things up you also eliminate power strip/contact button maintenance and can use the bed functions at any time. We are getting close to making the sawing rate of our LT70DCS our bottleneck at around 1000' per hour in 4/4 oak. I rank the upgrades we have done as to how they improved our production in the following order. Your circumstances may differ;

1. edger
2. chipper
3. live deck with stop-n-load
4. green chain
5. hydraulic pack
6. sawdust blower
7. out-feed conveyor
7. transfer table

WoodenHead

Quote from: stavebuyer on November 06, 2013, 05:22:56 AM
... I rank the upgrades we have done as to how they improved our production in the following order. Your circumstances may differ;

1. edger
2. chipper
3. live deck with stop-n-load
4. green chain
5. hydraulic pack
6. sawdust blower
7. out-feed conveyor
7. transfer table

Would you be willing to share your layout?   ;D  Sometimes your layout is as important as the equipment you've added. 

customsawyer

The chain turner can damage a timber quicker than the claw. When I am cutting timbers that need to be nice I use the clamp to do the turning.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

I don't turn timbers with the claw, but sometimes it gets caught on the bottom of a timber. The claw has a tendency to bounce when it goes all the way down.

Bibbyman

The vast majority of the beams, ties, cants we saw, turner marks are not a problem. In the case of the cants and beams,  our customer runs them through a big Pendu shaper anyway. Ties, never damaged one to any extent it would cause a problem.

We have sawn a number of timber frame parts that we take care to keep damage to a minimum.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

wormy

The only time I have trouble with the claw is with can't  it wants to push the can't up over the stops but usually I bring the clamp in under the can't when the claw lifts it  and catch it again with the claw and it flips the cant

scully

I like the vertical stops on the 50 ,however I see no need for the chain turnner unless you are high production sawing on a 70 with suport equipment . I often use the claw and clamp together and find I can flop most things prety well . I welded the top edges of my stainless backstop covers because the edges always catch . I tryed out a 50 one time and right away loved the vertical roller backstops . I looked into what it would take to put them on my 40 super ,but don't think I will .  I weld and fabricate but don't think I want to go through all the crap it would take to make that mod.
I bleed orange  .

Bandmill Bandit

I have run mills with the chain turner and while i do like it, it would not be a deal breaker on a mill for me. With the claw and clamp i can handle any log I have run into in 2000 Ish hours of milling time on my mill and have not experienced quicker log placement on the 2 mills I have operated  with the chain turner in about 40 of 50 hours on those 2 mills. The vertical side supports are something I have been thinking of doing to my mill this spring. A bit of research so far tells me it should not be real difficult or time consuming. We'll see. I am looking for a wore out or wreaked mill for parts right now
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bluejay27

We have a 40 and 70, I run the 40. I prefer the claw although I agree the 70 back stops are better. I use the claw and clamp together a lot to rotate huge logs. And especially with cants, the clamp will flip faster than the claw and without marks.

As for the claw gouging underneath, bump the cant up with the clamp or toe board just a hair and then retract the claw so it won't bounce into it.

Sometimes the claw wants to go under the log so I put a block of wood or cant hook on the claw end enough to weigh it down. You can then run it all the way out, set it back against the log, and back it down until it will grab. Not perfect but gets the job done on ugly logs. The only thing to watch for is those are often the kind of logs the turner likes to throw back at the arms, so have them up as well as the clamp to hopefully keep it under control.

As for modify the hydraulics, you'd need to add a 6th function on the valve. The chain turner angle is sequenced with the backstops, but chain rotation is separate.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

Magicman

I use a rope e/w a hook on the end to hold my claw out.  I can set it down on the exact spot on the log that I want.  It works very well for irregularly shaped logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Magicman on January 20, 2022, 08:22:14 AM

I use a rope e/w a hook on the end to hold my claw out.  I can set it down on the exact spot on the log that I want.  It works very well for irregularly shaped logs.
I've done something similar, but I use a bungy cord hooked to the claw and the little chain on the center of the log loader. Then using the log loader, I can pull on the bungy in or out to position the claw where I want to go touch the log.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Crossroads

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 20, 2022, 12:16:23 PM
Quote from: Magicman on January 20, 2022, 08:22:14 AM

I use a rope e/w a hook on the end to hold my claw out.  I can set it down on the exact spot on the log that I want.  It works very well for irregularly shaped logs.
I've done something similar, but I use a bungy cord hooked to the claw and the little chain on the center of the log loader. Then using the log loader, I can pull on the bungy in or out to position the claw where I want to go touch the log.
Jim Rogers
I've used the rope trick quite a few times, I think I'll be trying your bungee cord trick. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!