iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

solvents for U/S cleaners

Started by angelo c, November 01, 2013, 03:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelo c

guys what are you using for solvents in your Ultra Sound cleaners. I have used Acetone/ paint thinner and others. just wanting to see what others are using and why...mostly carb cleaning work that is.
wife,kids,dog,t-shirts to prove it

sharkey

I heard others talking about 'Pine Sol' so I bought a jug and have been happy with it.   Watch the acetone as it will go right through your skin and is hard on your liver.  Wear gloves. 

7sleeper

I use simple hot faucet water plus simple green dishwater cleaner. I run it three times 8min. 2x with fresh water/soap mix, once with clear hot water to get it soap free clean again. A quick blowdown with compessed air. A once over with WD40 finished for me.

Fatcougar

Hey Angelo,
I would really recommend not using acetone... it has a very high vapor pressure ( to the point of acting like it is almost boiling at room temperature) and could result in a condition where you could reach the lower explosive limit in an enclosed area. Very very flammable!  Mineral spirits (solvent) would be fine or another water based cleaner that the others have recommended would be better. Take care, FC.
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

bandmiller2

I have a nice ultrasound cleaner [gov. surplus] and was warned to not use anything flammable in it.I would say soak the carb in your solvent, then in the ultrasound with simple green or equivalent. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

angelo c

mad murdock

We use water in ours at work, and use a glass container to put all parts in within the water, the ultrasonic waves transmit directly through the glass into the degreaser(water soluble), or solvent(sometimes).  The solvent is a high flash solvent rated for 141deg c. Not th standard 105 solvent. The degreaser is Brulin 815. Superclean works well also.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Fatcougar

Good morning Angelo
Toluene and Xylene are both extremely flammable also, not to mention very hazardous to your health if inhaled or absorbed through your skin.
     ( I know I am getting boring with this repeat message, but I am a Hazmat tech and we get pummeled with this stuff all the time) Lol.
       Varsol with a high flash point should be fine..... as a side note though, if you have access to good amounts of Toluene, it is one of the best octane boosters out there!  20% percent Toluene mixed with 80% gasoline will raise the RON octane number around 2.5 full numbers !!! (Not points, which is one tenth of a full number).   
    So 92 octane would end up at 94.5 or so.  :laugh:
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

Windy_Acres

Depends on what Im cleaning in it. Greasy, Castrol Purple Power, or Zep Purple Industrial Cleaner (better than the castrol). It will etch aluminum, as a warning.

Brass gets RCBSs, or Hornadys One Shot, U/S cleaner concentrate.

If its anodized or blued, I dont use either of the purple cleaners (too much alkaline or the chemical equivalent, not sure of the name), I will use something along the lines of the old "409", Zep makes something similar to the old "409" general purpose cleaner.

redfin

This comes straight from the mouth of a man that has written many instruction manuals on ultrasonic cleaning methods. 

He first recommends the cleaner that they manufacture specifiacally for the purpose of carb cleaning. Second is simple green in a 1:10 solution. 

Philbert

If I am not cleaning with a water based solution, I place the cleaning solvent in a glass jar with the item(s) to be cleaned and fill the rest of the tank with water.  I leave the lid on the jar loose to prevent splashing, but to allow any vapor to vent.

By the time anything has gotten to the USC it usually has been pre-cleaned to get the heavy stuff off first.

I have used paint thinner for mechanical stuff, and vinegar for rusty stuff (leaves a black coating). As noted, check the label on any cleaning solutions to see if it reacts with aluminum, brass, chrome, etc.  I noticed in the instructions for my unit that certain types of jewelry (e.g. opals) can also be damaged by the USC.

Philbert

7sleeper

Quote from: Philbert on November 03, 2013, 08:50:18 PM
If I am not cleaning with a water based solution, I place the cleaning solvent in a glass jar with the item(s) to be cleaned and fill the rest of the tank with water.  I leave the lid on the jar loose to prevent splashing, but to allow any vapor to vent.

By the time anything has gotten to the USC it usually has been pre-cleaned to get the heavy stuff off first.

I have used paint thinner for mechanical stuff, and vinegar for rusty stuff (leaves a black coating). As noted, check the label on any cleaning solutions to see if it reacts with aluminum, brass, chrome, etc.  I noticed in the instructions for my unit that certain types of jewelry (e.g. opals) can also be damaged by the USC.

Philbert

We always new that jewelry was your second hobby!  :D

Philbert

Well, it's hard to convince your spouse that a new chain grinder is something 'you both can use'. But a USC can be used to clean jewelry . . .

So it's a good thing to check out before any surprises!

Philbert

angelo c

Quote from: redfin on November 03, 2013, 08:34:29 PM
This comes straight from the mouth of a man that has written many instruction manuals on ultrasonic cleaning methods. 

He first recommends the cleaner that they manufacture specifiacally for the purpose of carb cleaning. Second is simple green in a 1:10 solution.

Redfin, i know for certain SG is no good for AL( says so right on the label)
They do make an "aircraft simple green" that is specifically used on aluminum.
Back in the day (before obama) i used to spend a lot of time at the airport...now i can only afford to talk about flying.... :)

angelo c

Quote from: Fatcougar on November 03, 2013, 10:08:40 AM
Good morning Angelo
Toluene and Xylene are both extremely flammable also, not to mention very hazardous to your health if inhaled or absorbed through your skin.
     ( I know I am getting boring with this repeat message, but I am a Hazmat tech and we get pummeled with this stuff all the time) Lol.
       Varsol with a high flash point should be fine..... as a side note though, if you have access to good amounts of Toluene, it is one of the best octane boosters out there!  20% percent Toluene mixed with 80% gasoline will raise the RON octane number around 2.5 full numbers !!! (Not points, which is one tenth of a full number).   
    So 92 octane would end up at 94.5 or so.  :laugh:

Thanks FC.
I always put the part to be cleaned in the solution in a zip lock bag then plunk it in the US cleaner in a water bath. I guess i accepted any solution to be a petro based fire hazzard. Good ventilation , gloves ect..

Good thread guys.

Fatcougar

Wow... never thought of that.... carry on the good work! That's pretty darn ingenious - learn something every day.
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

Thank You Sponsors!