iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new saw!

Started by Dieselsteve, November 01, 2013, 01:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselsteve

well I was given a Husqvarna 61 (orange top) for free from my uncle, he picked it up for 25 bucks (didn't run). well I got it home tore into it a bit found the cylinder is mint everything is new no scratches no nothing. well I rebuilt the carb on it and fired right up, tuned the carb and it screams now.
I guess the point of this post is: I don't know much about the model, and was wondering what a few of you could tell me about it.

ladylake

If you tune it too scream too high you'll be screaming after it burns up, saws will cut faster with a little more gas.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

AdkStihl

Quote from: ladylake on November 01, 2013, 01:47:19 PM

If you tune it too scream too high you'll be screaming after it burns up, saws will cut faster with a little more gas.  Steve

My thoughts exactly  ;)
J.Miller Photography

sharkey

Listen to what these guys are telling you.  A saw engine needs to have a strong burble that cleans up under load.

lone wolf

7900                                                               461
200T

Dieselsteve

I meant that it screams more less as a figure of speech its tuned properly.

lone wolf

What RPM did you set the H to?
200T

Dieselsteve

don't have a tach but I tuned it to "4 stroke" a bit then backed it down just a touch to where it would quit when I sent it into a log. I guess what I wanted to know is info about  the saw is it pro or homeowner, is it a good saw, do people like them etc

lone wolf

I think the odd numbers back then were not pro models and the even ones were. Now i think it has changed.
200T

sablatnic

It was a home owner's saw, but a very good one. Most of the parts were taken from the 162 - 266 - 272 series.

Dieselsteve

ok, thanks for the info the saw looks brand new. im happy to have it as a back up saw.

Spike60

Sounds like a great saw Steve. Especially at $25.  :)

The homeowner/pro definitions were quite different then, and I wouldn't call this saw "homeowner" at all. It shares nearly every part with it's XP family members. But rather than a closed port jug as on a 268XP of Jonny 670, it has an open port cylinder. People on these forums can be a bit biased against open port saws, but they are fine runners for sure.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SAnVA

I had a 65 Husky that I bought new in 1979, I don't cut timber for a living, but I cut a bunch of firewood , a few loads of logs & pulpwood , cleared land and what not , cut the logs to saw lumber for a 16X24 cabin and then made almost every cut on the cabin with that old Husky! Finally retired it around 2005 when my wife surprised me with a new Husky 359! I gave the 65 to a friend and I think he is still cutting firewood with it! I think the 61 and 65 were from the same time period and both were very good saws at that time, I paid $ 343.00 for the 65 and that was the best $ 343.00 I ever spent! The 65 was a lot better saw for me than this 359 that I have now. For $25.00 I'd say you did very well!

Dieselsteve

Thanks guys, I tracked the serial and I believe it is a 93 model but with not even a scratch on it, and the cylinder and piston have no scoring, I basically have a brand new 61 it runs really good, and im happy to have it. again thanks for the info.

Thank You Sponsors!