iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EAB Timeline for tree use

Started by OH Boy, October 31, 2013, 10:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH Boy

Kind of curious and maybe some from Michigan or northwest Ohio can answer on the progression from when EAB hits an area, to generally most trees dead, to when trees may not be usable any more. I am familiar with the bug and it's cycle, and understand it probably takes 2-4 yrs to completely kill a big Ash. I'm wondering if those in the areas first hit maybe 10-15 yrs ago and where most of the Ash are dead, are you still getting any usable lumber from any standing dead trees? or even fallen trees, they seem to weaken quickly and seems to be a tendency to fall from the stump rather than breaking apart like Elm seems to do. Ash can be a hazard because of that but I'd think some usable wood from fallen trees/ trunks.

I'm curious because it just got recognized as being in my county, though has been here for some time already I'm sure, as there's always a lag between infestation and discovery. I have a few trees actually in my woods showing signs of the exit holes, bark "marks" or chipping away as it seems to, etc. I'll see in the spring if the tops start to die back.  Though my woods was logged before we bought the property, My neighbor has a very mature woods he has always selectively managed and will probably have a bunch of Ash to deal with.

any comments on the timeline?

Draco

You should probably start taking anything that you want for lumber now.  I understand that you can use it later, if nothing else got to it.  It will take a few years for the weakest trees to completely go.  Some areas get hit sooner than others and some trees die before others.  You get a rotation for firewood.  The lot next to me is almost all dead, but the one across the street isn't half dead.  A buddy has been cutting from a dead lot for years.

Thank You Sponsors!