iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 362 no bar oil

Started by JC360, October 31, 2013, 07:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC360

Hey All, I have a 362 that quit oiling half way thru a big hard maple tree. I cleaned the bar and everything else in that area, emptied the oil reservoir and cleaned that out too. No joy, I get a little bit out every now and then but it pretty much does not oil. Has anyone had an oil pump fail on one of these before? Thanks!

AdkStihl

Try running mineral spirits, kerosene or fuel oil through the oil system. Flush it out.
J.Miller Photography

Roundhead

like the other post stated, use something thin and see if it sends that through. could be the filter, plastic worm gear, check your clutch drum and make sure it is catching on the worm gear shaft and turning the worm gear behind the clutch. if none of those work, then remove the clutch, worm gear, and oil pump. look at the teeth where the gears meet and make sure they are good. turn the metal gear on the oil pump and make sure it moves freely and is not worn. then make sure the tubes are not clogged. its a process of elimination that starts with the easiest and moves to the most difficult. hope that helps you

Andyshine77

Check and make sure the metal rod or worm shaft end isn't broken. Most don't know you have to line up the clutch drum with the shaft, and end up braking the end of the rod clean off, when they force the drum back on. I see this on nearly every used saw I repair.
Andre.

angelo c

Hey Andre...

Have ya seen Nik and brad ?
wife,kids,dog,t-shirts to prove it

Andyshine77

Not much on the net, but I do speak with and see them regularly.
Andre.

lone wolf

If all the above mentioned things check out take the pump apart it may be clogged with wood dust.
7900                                                               461
200T

JC360

Thanks All!! I believe I have it fixed. I had taken the clutch drum off when I switched chains, just to see if that needed cleaning out. I was not familiar with that rod fitting into the drum.
Amazing how well things work when you put them back together properly.  I flushed the lines with mineral spirits too, the tank was a bit dirty. Is that drive system exclusive to that saw? Or do others use it too?

JC360

Correction. It oils a bit with the bar off. It slings oil around inside of the clutch cover,  but not enough getting to the bar.maybe the end of the bar is worn or bent so as not to engage the drum properly?sorry about all the newbie questions :(

Andyshine77

With bar off the saw look at the drum and slowly spin it and see if the rod spins with the drum. The oiler will only pump enough oil when the saw is ran at full throttle. With the bar and chain on the saw, start the saw and place the bar tip 6" away from a piece of light colored wood or cardboard and run it at full throttle for a few seconds, you should see a line of oil. Also make sure the pump is set to max output.
Andre.

JC360

Thanks Andre,I already have the oiler maxed out. Ill check the drum again tomorrow . The end of the rod,  where it engages the drum looked a bit worn. If I have to replace it,  do I need a piston stop and remove the clutch? Thanks!

sharkey

If you need a piston stop, use a length of old starter rope or clothesline.   

Andyshine77

Quote from: JC360 on November 02, 2013, 09:27:48 PM
Thanks Andre,I already have the oiler maxed out. Ill check the drum again tomorrow . The end of the rod,  where it engages the drum looked a bit worn. If I have to replace it,  do I need a piston stop and remove the clutch? Thanks!

yes you'd need a piston stop, I suggest using a proper plastic stop, your dealer should have them, they're really inexpensive.
Andre.

AKDoug

Pretty much all modern Stihls use the same style plastic worm gear with the metal arm attached to drive various styles of oil pumps. The oil pump on your saw is used on it and the 361.

sharkey

>>yes you'd need a piston stop, I suggest using a proper plastic stop, your dealer should have them, they're really inexpensive.<<

Too many cracked pistons from hard plastic and metal piston stops. 

JohnG28

Just stuff some starter rope through the spark plug hole as a piston stop. Just take care not to use too much and keep it from going through to the exhaust side.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Andyshine77

Quote from: sharkey on November 04, 2013, 04:36:04 AM
>>yes you'd need a piston stop, I suggest using a proper plastic stop, your dealer should have them, they're really inexpensive.<<

Too many cracked pistons from hard plastic and metal piston stops.

The metal or plastic screw in stops are a big no no. The plastic stop that cross the pin and sit against the cylinder wall, will not hurt a thing. In fact if you use rope that's not the right size, in some saws with weak rods "like the ms170" you can bend the rod. Rope is not a proper piston stop.....
Andre.

Andyshine77

Andre.

Thank You Sponsors!