iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bow saw

Started by aNDI, October 31, 2013, 03:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aNDI

Hi

I hope this is the right thread for my question. I have been trying to find a decent saw for lopping branches from trees. some of them have grown quite large, maybe 10 inches in diameter. I am just not confident to use a chainsaw up a tree but I can not find a decent hand saw to do the job. I have tried a bow saw but it gets stuck. Looking down the blade the does not seem to be set and are all straight. Is that right.
Any suggestions welcome
Chop wood, cart wood

terry f

If you have the extra money, a good gas pole saw.

Axe Handle Hound

You're correct that bow saws don't have set in the blade and could bind pretty easily while making the type of cuts you're looking at.  I've had good luck with the shorter (18" or less) versions. 

For another inexpensive option you could try an arborist pruning saw.  They typically cut on the pull stroke, the teeth have set to keep the blade from binding, and they cut very aggressively. 

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

aNDI

I have looked at the silky and they look fantastic but expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. Would a pruning saw tackle the larger branches.
Is there a reason why bow saws do not have a set? I used a pair of pliers and put a slight set on a 18inch saw and it does not bind so much but it is still hard work to cut anything over about 6 inches.

Chop wood, cart wood

WDH

10" branches will be tough on any saw unless it is a chainsaw.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!