iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So is mush related to gritts ???

Started by RayMO, October 30, 2013, 09:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayMO

Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Y'all hold on......we are headed for the FOOD SECTION. Buckle up!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Solomon

I don't know what mush is but I do love some grits in the morning with eggs sunny side bacon and toast!!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

thecfarm

I sure can't answer that.That stuff does not get part Kittery,Maine.  ;D
My diet consist of bread,meat and cheese. And a little bit of homemade applesauce.

I don't think we are too far off for this being in the sawmill section. Sawdust is close.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bill Gaiche

Magicman

Bill hit it on the head.  Mush is cooked cornmeal normally used for baking cornbread, hushpuppies, and rolling catfish in.

Many times in my growing up years, mush was a meal.  Kinda sparse, but that was just the way it was in those days.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

My Mother said saltpork was thier staple. My Father grew up on The Farm,and plenty of wild game to eat too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 30, 2013, 09:27:24 PM
......... but that was just the way it was in those days.

We had it for breakfast when I was young. Mush really will stick to your ribs with a little fatback.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Is mush related to grits? Well if it goes with the rest of the meal, I say yea,
I say, some mush can be eaten alone, (many ingredients to mush)
Grits too can be eaten alone,(with many ingredients), ex. cheese, onion, peppers, and bout anything else.
Some family members are just more popular than others, that's all,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

5quarter

MM---I think bill was talking about grits and sawdust... ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

BobInMN

I know the southern boys will think this is crazy, but I like grits with butter, sugar and cinnamon.  It reminds me of cream of wheat, I eat that the same way.  I eat my rice like that, too.
Retired US Army, Retired Civil Engineering Technician, Retired State Employee, most of all just plain tired.

woodhick

Mush brings back some memories of my younger days (40 years ago) when I stayed on the weekends with my grandparents.  My grandfather would eat mush lots of times.   I would not eat it fixed like grits but my grandmother would make some (sometimes) that was very thick and then she would put it in a small loaf pan and put in refrigerator.  When it got cold and pretty much set up she would slice pieces about 3/8" thick and fry them in cast iron skillet with bacon grease.  Man I'm getting hungry ;D thinking about it.   
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Ron Wenrich

In our area, mush is like scrapple, except no meat.  Its made in loaves, fried, and usually you put syrup on top.  We always opted for scrapple.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

47sawdust

I'm a woodchuck from Vermont but I can make a good steamed mush that is good enough to eat anytime.Add maple syrup,melted butter,and a little milk and I'm good to go.Funny how grits don't get booted out of the sawmill section.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

Adding something good to make it taste good?? It has to be related to grits.  ;D

taylorsmissbeehaven

I had not thought of mush in years! My grandma made it the same way Woodhicks did. I may have to put the grits away and cook some up this weekend. Thanks for bringing this up, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Magicman

Quote from: 47sawdust on October 31, 2013, 07:17:32 AMFunny how grits don't get booted out of the sawmill section.
Before a long sawing day, Sawyers need a good wholesome meal that will stick to their ribs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

How right Magicman is. I like 3 eggs,3 biscuits cut up into 3 pieces each and fried in a diffeant pan. My egg pan is only used to cook eggs in. Like them nice and white and nice and runny.Meat of some sort,be it ham,steak.pepperoni,bacon. Than 8 ounces of Brenda's home made apple sauce. Maybe a little OJ too.

Seaman

I,m waiting on a breakfast invitation from Solomon!
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

schakey

Set both on a plate (along with the eggs,biscuits any meat) in front of me and I will be a happy man!
  digin_2  food1
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Magicman

Ray, slow down and 'xplain the 3 biscuits cut into 3 pieces and fried  ???  Also, what do you fry your eggs in; butter or bacon drippings?

thecfarm

Take a biscuit and I slice it 3 times.I make 3 biscuits from one.Gotta be high ones to that. But I think I've seen yours and that could be done easy. These I do fry in butter. The biscuits are kinda better on the stale side. They seem to hold together better. A fresh biscuit kinda crumbles a little bit. I got this from my other Grammie that did not have a farm.I don't mind them on the black side either.
Eggs,very,very fussy. I like them white and I do mean white. Over easy and real easy at that. Bacon,or whatever meat get cooked in one pan,my eggs in another pan, No way would I cook my eggs in bacon grease. Most times we cook the bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven with a big piece of parchment paper. No clean up this way.If I was somewheres else and they did that,that is fine. I would gopple them right up and enjoy them. But if I'm home,they come out white. I use cooking spray for lubrication.I forgot the cheese on top of them too. All the above with no salt,maybe some pepper if I want to take the time to put some on.

Magicman

Raider Bill

The diner I eat lunch at has cornmeal mush on the menu. Mostly it is the gritters that order it. I've had it and found with enough maple syrup and butter mush is almost eatable unlike grits..
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Fil-Dill

This is the first time I have found anyone else that has ever heard of scrapple. We used to boil the meat of of pork backbone and then stir in cornmeal. It would cool and set up and then you fried it. Now days we will use a cured ham and bone of some sort and leave whatever meat we want in the scrapple. I have never tried grits.
EZ boardwalk 40

Thank You Sponsors!