Do they look ripe  :D
Some maple and cherry

been there 2 years
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Are we going to get to see some photos of the lumber?    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

I did one in the spring and there spalted but the one I cut had to work more. I hate to cut them and don;t have enough spalt yet  :D :D
And do you or other members think they're full of powder post beetles ?  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 30, 2013, 08:27:30 PM

And do you or other members think they're full of powder post beetles ?  :D :D

DANNY?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

What? 

(The wood is probably too wet inside to have powderpost beetles yet  :).  Ambrosia beetles?  For sure).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

The ambrosia beetles leave once the lumber is cut and the boards begin to dry.  They are harmless except for leaving the little black-lined holes.  They only infest dying or recently felled timber.  They are not so prevalent in cherry and maple like they are in oak and hickory.  But, there are probably some.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rimshot

Just tonight I cut a nice mature hard Maple that had died in the last few years.  The tree was back on my property.  I knew it was dead but the top was dry and losing bark but not the trunk.  It looked pretty stout and when I began the chain saw cut I noted it's chain saw chips were dry and hard as a rock.  The tree hit the ground after the saw cut and the top exploded because it was punky.

I measured 100 " from the felling cut and cut my first log from this old but straight trunked beauty  The wood was sound, moist and hard as a rock with no apparent punkyness. I grabbed the butt log and hauled it over to my little woodmizer.  Once I got the cant squared I did notice thse boards around the outside showed some of those old little black highlighted holes from what I believe has been described as Ambrosia beetles.  But the rest of the log was some of the prettiest maple grain and sound lumber I have ever seen.

I was glad I rescued the trunk from that poor dead Maple.

Rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Peter Drouin

Well where's the pic  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

5quarter

Peter...Probably too much exposure for good spalt. get big John over to the pile and cover them up some with the wood chips and let go til next summer. Also wouldn't hurt to zing a few inches off the ends to expose some wetter wood. don't know about the cherry, but the maple should be showing some good stuff by then.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Peter Drouin

Thanks 5quarter I'll try that.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Seaman

I find lots of ambrosia in the recently felled large maples that I slab. One fella told me they are there due to branch injuries and trimming. Sounds logical.
Peter, you should cut a thin cookie off the butt, you will be able to see the spalting and Ambrosia.   
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

terrifictimbersllc

I have a lot of thoughts when I see customers logs but slowly learning to keep them to myself.  Usually works out better than I thought.  But thinking those maple and cherry logs aren't going to be getting any better.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!