iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Poulan is a goner & my chainsaw budget is $425?

Started by ReggieT, October 29, 2013, 08:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Hey guys,
This is my first post here...thanks for having me. Last Nov 29th...I purchased a Poulan Pro 5020 from Lowes for about $200.
It was my first saw, I had the safety chain swapped for Stihl full chisel and dropped down to a 16 Oregon bar.

I probably cut through about 3 cords of wood tops: Osage Orange, White Ash, and Oak...and the saw did well.
I had some back and shoulder injuries and it began to get a tad heavy, yet not too bad.
I parked the saw last around March of this year and did not drain the the fluids...and  few days ago it would not stay running...took it back to Lowes for an exchange or warranty work...and instead they gave me a 100% refund!!! 8)

Now I'm without a saw. I want to go with a nicer & more reliable saw this time. I've been looking at a Stihl 290 Farm Boss...I can get one local for $400 OTD, but the older models 260, 290, 310, 311 and 028 are also catching my eye. I like a couple of the Echo saws & I've read great things about the Makita 64 CC saw....

I only cut about 3-5 cords a year, but about 50% of it is rather beastly like in my avatar (Osage Orange & Black Locust).
Saw only needs to last me about 10 years...lol
What are some good choices based on a budget $425-450 MAX??

Thanks & God Bless You,
Reggie

thecfarm

ReggieT,welcome to the forum. I sure don't know. I would have to go to a good dealer and tell them what you just posted and see what they had.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ReggieT

ChopperDan

I just purchased 6 makita 6421's  several weeks ago. I paid between 200-250 each used. 1 was purchased new when baileys had them on sale for 566$.(a week before I found the use ones) I cleaned out 3 Home Depot rental centers. Parts are reasonable and they only need minor work. Toss the Home Depot chain and replaced it with full chisel non safety chain.

The 6421 runs good as is but I would replace the muffler (100$)

I did upgrade 2 of them with heavy duty air filters, 6400 series mufflers and 7900 cylinders and pistons. ( there smoking hot)

Now it's heavy for a 64cc saw but light for a 79cc  saw.

If you do your own work and don't care about local support then I would highly recommend it.

Parts are a phone call away. You'll want to talk to Kyle, he's first class.(I don't know if they are a sponsor so I won't name them here. I can tell you where in a pm)

Saw 250-300$
Muffler 100$
Chains 15$ x 2

No more than 430$ and I'm sure it will put a smile on you face.

Dan
550xpg
562xp
Makita 6421 converted to 7900 X2
Hd SuperSpitter

jpdocdave

Hey fellow new guy to the forum.  The 290 is going to be a great choice.  In my opinion you can't go wrong with any hi end saw of any brand.  Husky, Stihl, Jonsered, Makita/ Sachs Dolmar, and so on.  If it were me I'd choose whatever brand has the best support in my area. 
Stihl MS250
Poulan Pro 505
Poulan Pro 295
Poulan Pro 190 Top Handle
Homelite XL

Roundhead

Farm boss is the best selling saw for a reason. if you have a good local dealer then go for it. or if you like to learn and are handy then look for a good used saw like an 036 or 361.

sawguy21

Welcome aboard. Pour a coffee and have a seat. A good dealer is more important than brand, you learned your lesson with the box store unit. With old back and shoulder injuries you might find the MS 290 a little heavy for prolonged use and it is overkill for a 16" bar. What about the MS250? Light reliable and in your price range. An Echo CS-450P would be a good choice too but buy from a dealer who knows how to set it up, they are overly lean and underpowered out of the box thanks to our friends at the EPA.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gfadvm

My big Husky finally got too heavy for me to use comfortably so I shopped around and wound up with an Echo with an 18" bar. I love it! It is now 3 years old, has never failed to start easily (even when really cold out), and cuts like a much bigger saw. We heat a 3500 square foot house with wood so it gets a lot of use!

ReggieT

Ianab

Lots of options  :D

If you like your local Stihl dealer then a 290 / 291 will do what you want just fine. A lot of folks put them down as "non-pro" saws, which is true. But you aren't a "pro" user, so that's fine. If you just want a saw that you can pull out the shed after 12 months, fuel it up and have it start on the 6th pull, then it's going to suit you just fine.

Sure you can buy better saws, but they cost more, and in your situation, no real advantage.

I've got a MS310, bigger brother to the 290, that's about 12 years old. Still starts and runs like it did new. It's not been heavily used, but it's taken down some big trees over the years. I've also got a 79cc Dolmar like Dan is talking about (original PS7900), and to be fair there is no comparison.  :D But that's comparing a 60cc firewood saw with a ~80cc professional saw. it SHOULD be better  :D

Lots of decent saws out there, once you get away from the "disposable" ones sold in the chain stores. If you have a good dealer that's selling Echo, Husky, Dolmar etc then they will all have something decent.

The wood you are cutting is bit harder than average, but that comes down to keeping the chain sharp, not so much about saw power  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

z71mike

MS250 is fine for you and within budget. And lighter than a 290.

WmFritz

I love my MS250 too. Its been very reliable. I use it mostly for bucking firewood logs.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ladylake

A Echo CS500p for around $450 at a dealer , built way better then the Stihl homeowner saws, lightest 50cc made,  more power, handles great , starts great. If you had to get a Stihl the 290 or 291 is heavy, a MS250 tuned right will cut real close to those and is way lighter.   The Dolmar 6000 series is way heavy.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

gspren

Why does it only need to run for 10 more years? Some of us older dudes plan to be cutting for way longer than that! 8)
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

acrosteve

Is the Stihl full chisel a well regarded chain for the types/sizes of saws the OP is considering?
Timberking B-20

jdub

I second the comments about a Stihl MS250. It has great weight to power ratio and as long as you are not cutting large logs it will get through anything you need without being a burden to lug around and use. They come with a 18" bar, but you can trade to a 16" when buying new for more power and slightly less weight if you are cutting mostly limbs, etc. I have a Stihl MS 310 and only use it for the biggest cuts I get into (25" - 30" hardwood trunks).

jpdocdave

Quote from: Seaman on October 30, 2013, 06:04:34 AM
Welcome Reggie and DocDave!

Thanks for the welcome.

And I give a x4 or x5 on the ms250.  I love it, fantastic for bucking, great power to weight.  Looks like its replaced by the ms251, I just saw that one yesterday at the local dealer, nice looking saw for almost an extra hundo.   They also had a leftover ms250, maybe one could haggle on the older ms250 model  ;D
Stihl MS250
Poulan Pro 505
Poulan Pro 295
Poulan Pro 190 Top Handle
Homelite XL

AdkStihl

Who in the right mind would choose an MS250 over a 357XP and pay more doing it......I just don't understand   :D

Help me out here nmurph  ;)
J.Miller Photography

gfadvm

Reggie, My Echo is the CS-400. Paid around $300 new with 3 chains and the 18" bar. Just replaced the first bar.

Nolan

RCBS

Quote from: AdkStihl on October 30, 2013, 08:43:36 AM
I gotta low hour 357XP for $390 shipped to your door!

This.

I would probably jump on it myself if I hadn't just bought a 2166 that obliterated my forest equipment budget.   :)
Echo CS-3400, 550xp, Jonsered 2166, L3130 Kubota, '78 JD 300 backhoe, Kubota RTV900, JD2305, lots of sharp stuff and several firearms

nmurph

OK, Jero, you asked for it.

OP, buy ADK's 357. They are a heck of a lot more saw than anything you have mentioned the Makita/Dolmar notwithstanding, and the 357 is over a pound lighter than it.
That is a great price for that saw in that condition....how's that???? The only other one I would consider is the Makita. It's only drawback is the weight though it is a bit stronger, pulling a 24" without a problem.
Another nice saw would be a stout 346...

Seriously, it is a much nicer saw than all except the

AdkStihl

Quote from: nmurph on October 31, 2013, 07:51:51 AM

OP, buy ADK's 357. They are a heck of a lot more saw than anything you have mentioned the Makita/Dolmar notwithstanding, and the 357 is over a pound lighter than it.
That is a great price for that saw in that condition....how's that???? The only other one I would consider is the Makita. It's only drawback is the weight though it is a bit stronger, pulling a 24" without a problem.

smiley_clapping
J.Miller Photography

nmurph

Quote from: nmurph on October 31, 2013, 07:51:51 AM

I think I need some coffee...and I don't even drink it.

OP, buy the 357, you won't regret it.

Thank You Sponsors!