iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick Mill , It Needs Me.

Started by Solomon, October 29, 2013, 08:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon

I have had a line on a Frick Mill since last Thanksgiving when  I  scored all that walnut.
I think I posted a couple pictures of it back then.    It has an old straight 8 buick fireball  motor for a power plant that just needs a minor tune up.  You Know....  Rings, Rods, New Main Babbit bearings, turn the Crank, Valve Guides Ect...  Nothing too involved.
The Mill itself looks really clean and is complete.  It has not been run 25 years or more but it has been under cover inside a a good sized sawing shed.   
  I understand that Frick made 3 or 4 sizes of Circle Mills.  I don't think it's one of the larger one's.   Can anyone tell me how to identify it?   How much trouble is it going to be moving it?    What are the expected costs involved?  Where to get parts, will I have to make some parts?   I have access to a machine shop and lots of different kinds of equipment.   Anyway, thy guy want's two grand for the whole set up.   I will take all the advise I can get. I'm all ears!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Solomon

smiley_swinging_board smiley_swinging_board smiley_swinging_board smiley_swinging_board smiley_swinging_board It needs me.

Buddyw

Hi Solomon, Go to you-tube and type in ( Frick Sawmill ) their is a guy on their that identifies all Frick mill sizes... Good luck with the Frick.

Solomon

Thanks. I need it like a bad cold but It just keeps calling my name.  I cant help my self.

york

Solomon,just tell me where it is,i have the money.....
thank`s albert
Albert

thecfarm

You have a bandsawmill,forgot what kind,Baker,Logmaster. I do remember all steel bandwheels. That will pair up nice with your mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Solomon

Yup, I have a Logmaster  LM4  Cfarm.   I may even be able to  do some milling for the mill.
The guy is my best friends farther inlaw.   
I will have to move it about 275 miles to get it home.   As I said it's calling my name, it needs me.   Sorry York,  this is gonna be my headache.   The man said I can get it if I really want it, but he's not  interested in letting it go to anyone else.
He knows if I take it he will see it running again.  He visits here about 5 or 6 times a year.
Plus my friend has more land  than my little half acere so I will be set up on his son inlaw's property.    I guess we better ge started building a sawing shed before we do anything else.

beenthere

Sure would like to see some good pictures of the mill... and maybe could help with the ??'s about moving and what it might need to get it running. 

Sounds like a great opportunity knocking...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Solomon

Quote from: beenthere on October 29, 2013, 10:11:09 AM
Sure would like to see some good pictures of the mill... and maybe could help with the ??'s about moving and what it might need to get it running. 

Sounds like a great opportunity knocking...
I think I posted some pic on a thread I started about the same time you were helping me learn how to post pictures.  The name of the thread is  "Walnut"   You may be able to find it.  I will see if I can find it and pist a comment to bring it to the front page for you again.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

york

Hi,this Frick looks to be a double aught,right hand mill and the wood looks very good too-you need to move on this mill asap...
albert
Albert

Solomon

That's great Beenthere,  I didn't realize that I posted them to my  gallery.   I have more pic I will post when I get home.  This droid phone is limited as to what it allows me to do.
I think you're right York. I don't really know anything at all about a circle mill but it looked really clean to me also.
  Do you guys think its worth two thousand bucks?   I'm thinking that straight 8 motor has got to be worth something for a core. 
I expect the mill is going to need some work and maybe have to fabricate some parts.

Finn1903

I think you should pass on it and let me pick it up!
I don't know a thing about those mills, but I was at the NC State fair last week and stopped at my favorite working display, the sawmill, edger, and planner that looks an awful lot like a Frick mill.  That just looks like fun to play with and put it to use.   
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

york

is it worth 2000.00???yes-i just sold my old Meadows with out a power unit for 3500.00 and this Frick is a much better mill..

But,i am not sure i would rebuild the straight eight...

albert
Albert

Solomon

Yea, I was just being sarcastic about the motor there York.  It's a ways down the road but I am thinking
about a diesel with slightly more HP than I really need.    Maybe A cummings.  I know where I can buy and old Yard Hustler truck with a good one in it.
Sorry Finn. The old man want me to have it, restore it keep it and  use it.  Thats the offer he's made.   If I don't aggree to that, he's not going to let it go at all.  He wants to see it restored to its former glory.   I am certian I am looking at a two or three project to get it back to new condition.
  We are gonna have to pick a site, build a saw shed and create a lot for logs in proximity to the shed.  Figure out how we are going to deal with saw dust and slabs and then transportt the mill
275 miles to get it here.  And then start the process of restoring it.   I have to be crazy!  But there's something in my heart compelling me to do it.    I'm sick,  I just can't help myself.

beenthere

Solomon
For that kinda money, he should throw the shed in too.   ;D
south central Wisconsin

Solomon

If you move the shed for me I will let you use the frick whenever you are in Town!!     
But seriously, I may be able to get this thing by diong some sawing for him

sealark37

You have three loads for a 16' trailer.  The track unbolts to three pieces.  the two end pieces will make one load.  The center section, with the carriage securely chained down, will make your second load.  The power unit is the heaviest component, and the most top-heavy and awkward.  It will make the third load.  You can do this alone, if you have a decent winch, but it is a lot more fun with some good help.  By good help, I mean someone who is capable of getting the mill off of you if you have an unplanned event.  Remove the head saw from the mandrel, and secure the carriage cable before you start disassembly.  Especially with the engine, remove or secure any small pieces or sheet metal that might fly off when you are going own the road.  When you get it all home, find a saw doctor to check out the headsaw, and an old circle sawyer to help you fine tune the mill after you put it back together.  Good Luck, and Regards,  Clark

bandmiller2

Solomon,what comes with the mill any spare saws,bits ,shanks ,tools est.The site work and foundation under a circular mill requires considerable work and planning to work out well.Personally I would be a little leary about setting it up  on a permanent foundation on someone elses land,you know what they say possession is 9/10 of the law.Its a fair deal but not a great one.You'd be wise to find a diesel that old straight eight will eat you out of house and home.Good luck mate keep us in the loop. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SPD748

Solomon,

I learned the hard way so you don't have to. Install or design in a pit underneath the saw. A minimum of 24" below the bottom of the saw. More if there's room. It will make the WHOLE process much smoother and safer, believe me. Good luck on your project and don't hesitate to pm if you have any questions.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

ddcuning

Solomon,
The setworks do not look like an 00 to me but I am no expert. My 00 setworks are shown below:

Note, it too me about 3 years to build my shed, restore the saw and start sawing and we are still not finished but very close. Closing in on getting the RPM gauge correct, setting lead, sharpening, etc. A very rewarding project but a long one.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Solomon

Clark,   Thanks for that insight.  I have a friend with a road tractor and lowboy trailer , it may be feasible to go that route and get it in one load.   Three trips would be over a hundred gallons of diesel in my dually pulling the 16 ft dump trailer  maybe 150 gal.   plus the time Im not making money some where else.   
  Still not sure about this.
Bandmiller,  That is something I hadn't thought about but knowing this man, he is the type to have a lot of spare parts laying around.  If so He will take care of me.  Theese folks are long time close friends of mine.   I will definatly inquire about that.   Thanks for bringing that up.    I am going to start a note book and write all this stuff down so I can review it all.  You guys have a lot of things in mind that I would never have thought of.
Lee,  I had not thought of that either. A pit sounds like a pretty good idea.   I'd like to talk with you on the phone about that and pick your brain some more about that.   My cell is 757.438.6298  when you have a chance.  No hurry, this whole thing is a ways off yet.  All of you folks are welcome to give me a call any time , I always enjoy talking to fellow sawyers.   Thanks again everybody and  P.S.  Lee,  I have a special place in my heart for Cops, many of them here in Chesapeake are good friends of mine.  I went to high school with them and watched them move up through the ranks.   You guy do a thankless job enforcing the law, but know that there are those of us who understand and really appreciate what you do for us.   You're tops in my eyes!
  ddcunning,   I guess me figuring two years is a little optimistic.   It looks like you have done a total restoration on your mill,  I am turning green with envy here.  As I said a few posts ago, I don't know anything about a circle mill so I will be investigating and learning some hard lessons I'm sure.   It should be quite an educational journey.
  How far is Pittsburo from Norfolk?   I may ride out and take a look at your mill and operation if that's ok with you.   I see you're in North Carolina.   Chesapeake,  Boarders NC with  Moyock NC.    Thanks again all of you for all the great info.  I am learning a lot here.

ddcuning

Solomon,
Yes, I have done...err...in process of completing a complete restoration of the mill. When I started it was a mess up under a shed in the woods. I had worked a circular mill for 5 years that wasn't mine so I went out on my own, purchased and rebuilt this one. The two years also included the 60x40 shed that I built before starting the mill restoration. The thread below details the restoration.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,49640.0.html

Anyone is welcome to come see the mill anytime. Just need to call me to set up a time as sometimes my day job has me traveling. Cell is 919-949-5812. Looking at googlemaps, you are about three and a half to four hours from Pittsboro, so not that far of a drive. You are welcome anytime.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Solomon

Thanks Dave, I programed you number in my cell phone.   I took vacation from Nov 26 through the 4th of Dec.   I will touch base with you between now and then.     Pete Conlogue   757-438-6298    mastermason167@yahoo.com.

Thank You Sponsors!