iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new chapter for me in the U.P.

Started by Jeff, October 28, 2013, 09:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I just typed out a very long post, then lost it while trying to add the photos. Well, here are the photos. Story to come.  :D

The gist of it is, I made a property swap and now have new land in the U.P. my next door neighbor to my west got my property, I got some of Lou's property, and Lou get's my neighbor's money. :)  So, a new chapter, new dreams, and hopefully a few of them will some day come true.  The land had mature hardwoods, large white pine, hemlock and yellow birch and enough maple to probably tap trees if I ever wanted too. it still has plenty of wild cedar land and boreal type forest in the back and is backed by thousands of acres of wildland. There is stories of buried loot that go along with the property and its old now gone homestead. And best of all? PUDDING STONES! :D

Only have a few pictures of the road frontage and a few pictures of some old iron on the property mother nature is trying to absorb.  Any idea what the axle might be out of?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Beautiful property with a history.  I am happy for you.  I definitely want to see it one day.  I know that you cannot wait to get up there.  Just being on the property has to soothe your soul. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Love that Old Iron. Good for you. I am happy for you. Now get up there and start to make some memories. How far away is the land? My family always called this place The Farm. There is nothing like working your own land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

A paved road too? Nice! 8)

If you come across a treasure map, I've got a shovel!   ;D ;D ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Jeff

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

Nice score on the property, Jeff 8) I think Ford Model T's had an axle like that, with the transverse spring and the worm gear drive.
Too many irons in the fire

Jeff

I was thinking model t, but not sure.

Here is the layout. I go down an acre due to the power transfer station in the corner, but thats okay with me. I still have the same power line running through this property.  The grouse love that power station. Must be the hum or something.

sandhills

Jeff

If you zoom out on that map and start looking north, it's scary how far you can go in my back yard and see nothing but untamed U.P. Nothing there  until you hit the saint Mary's River going up to meet Lake Superior. 8)

Fla._Deadheader

Yes, that's a ruckstell rear end, worm gear drive, but,not sure what truck might have used it.  Could have been a Model "T" or other heavy duty truck. I believe they were made until 1929 or so.

Nice spread.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

WmFritz

Quote from: barbender on October 28, 2013, 10:32:07 PM
I think Ford Model T's had an axle like that, with the transverse spring and the worm gear drive.

Don't they still use that axle on the F-150?   ;D

Jeff, you hi-tech guys know all the cool computer links. I love that corner of the State.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Wick

Looks nice and sounds like you made a good deal. How much land is that?
I have a set of metal wheels just like that. Was planning to restore them and hang them on a post on each side of the driveway at the entrance.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Magicman

Wow Jeff, that is totally awesome.  I remember that you had "building issues" with the drainage situation on your other property.  I'll bet that you now have "plans".  Maybe Pat and I can see it sometime.   ;D

Where is it in relation to the cabin?

I feel for you on loosing the post because I did the same thing with my "Elk" post.  The second writing is never the same.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

loggah

Wow!!! great piece of land Jeff,needs a cabin on it tho !!! ;D ;D Model "T" ford truck rear axle. looks like a hunting paradise!!
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

fishpharmer

Nice property!  Congrats on the new land.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

OneWithWood

Oh, yeah!

Great bit of wheelin' and dealin'  8) 8) 8) 8)

Is the land on the north side of the road a bit higher and drier? 

Really cool that it worked out the way it did.  You're a good son.  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Shotgun

Good move, Jeff.  It looks as though you really made out well.  I'm sure that you'll like that property.  Good old Lou.  He's a good friend for you guys.  Glad that you're closer to him.

It's 85° here.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jeff

The new property is about a quarter mile to the west and of the old property and now on the north side of the road with and connected to Daddy Lou. :D ;) :) 

mad murdock

congratulations on the new stompin' grounds 8) 8) even better with hidden treasure(s).  With all the "open" ground to your north, there will surely be plenty of "free range" critters to see, and maybe invite one or two to stay in your freezer ;) I bet you maybe see a meese or two, and some large long legged wild dogs too.  Winter's coming on, did you have to leave your firewood stash at the old place? or you got plenty of good seasoned wood stacked at the new place?  Wow! I zoomed out a bit to get a reference to your locale, you are really close to the border there, how far is the border from where your northern line is?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jeff

I'm afraid firewood is a bit irrelevant when I have no building anywhere.  :D    The cabin is still on my sisters land and I still have squatters rights there as I always have. :)  It is also, a quarter mile farther away from the new land.

We have coyotes, we have wolves, we have cougars, we have anything that will eat a deer fawn. We also have Canadians. :)   Not sure how far the border is, but the cell phone always is asking me if I want to connect to the Canadian Tower.  As the crow flies, it aint far.

mad murdock

Wow, you got big cats there?!  Growing up a bit west of you, in Vilas Co, Wisc, and also living in Dickinson Co, U.P., (Iron Mtn area), I knew there was bobcat, and Lynx, but did not know that there were bigger cats there, very interesting!  I am sure you will turn it into a very nice retreat.  Cant wait to see what you do with it 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jeff

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/535795.html?nav=5006

This was not very far at all from my property. There had been plenty of sitings before this, and since, Lou saw a cat leap his driveway and ditches in a bound, and it had a long tail...

mad murdock

Wow, that is kind of cool to see they are coming back on their own.  Would be great to see a herd of Wood Bison come back in the region again.  That would be something!

Thank You Sponsors!