iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

441 vs 461

Started by spinner, October 28, 2013, 08:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinner

I currently own a 362, wondering about switching up to a little more power. Should I go with the 441 with mtronic or go to the 461. Gonna run a 24/25" bar. Ive researched a lot lately and read about every post/thread involving each saw and I still cant decide. Thanks for any tips guys.

HotRail

I can't give any real good reasons to go with a 441 or 461 other than the 461 has a little more grunt and is about the same price.  The m tronic would be nice to have on any saw though IMO.

JohnG28

Go with the 461. Its a little bigger step from the 362, the 441 is too close IMO.  If you're going bigger might as well have something with a little more power and grunt. I keep my 460 for the rare time I need a 24" bar and it serves well for those tasks.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Den69RS96

I was in the same position as you are except I had a ms250 and ms361.  I ended getting a used ms 046 on ebay and fixed it up.  I don't really need the 046 except for couple times a year at best, but I wanted a bigger saw to play with.  The 3 saw plan works for me.  You can definitely notice a difference in power from the 361 to the 046.  I'd got with the 460 or 461 your looking at.
Stihl ms250, ms361, ms046

HolmenTree

The only trouble with the 461 is it doesn't have the 441's spring anti vibe mounts. I have heard a few complaints from new 461 owners who claim they feel rough compared to their smaller spring AV Stihls.
The 441 CM -Tronic should have a more consistent strong powerband also, in any conditions.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

spinner

I wonder if the 461 will have the mtronic next year. When do the new saws get released ? Like is it February every year or what. Thanks for the info too guys, appreciate it.

HolmenTree

Quote from: spinner on October 29, 2013, 08:31:37 PM
I wonder if the 461 will have the mtronic next year. When do the new saws get released ? Like is it February every year or what. Thanks for the info too guys, appreciate it.
Hard to say, you think it would be a good marketing ploy.....with or without. But from looking at their brochure on the new 661CM they left no rock over turned.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

beenthere

Quotethey left no rock over turned.

:D  That gives one food for thought.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!