iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a tie and lumber buyer in n. Arkansas or s. Missouri

Started by JB Griffin, October 28, 2013, 08:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Griffin

Hi Ya'll  Im new to FF and I am trying to nail down markets for lumber and ties to see if I can make a go of milling or
not. Im looking at used Keener Built hyd mill a old man has for sale comes with aprox. 100 blades and an industrial
table saw for a edger for $9000. Just trying to tie up loose ends before I bite the bullet. Thanks in advance.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Magicman

JB, I am out of your market area but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Howdy JB, just about where are you? and give me a day or so and I will let you know what I find out, several tie buyers around here, and the flooring is up as well.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

dboyt

JB, welcome to the forum!  The Keener is the one with the overhead track?  Interesting mill.  You need to make sure the mill is in good condition.  There have been several threads (or more) on used equipment.  Was the mill under cover?  Is the owner able to start it and demonstrate it, or are you expected to take his word that it ran when he parked it?  $9K for a working hydraulic mill, edger & table saw isn't too bad.  Don't forget the support equipment.  You'll need a loader capable of moving bundles of 10 ties at a time, plus a trailer & truck that can haul them.

I think Koppers has a tie plant down your way.

Good luck!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

KonaKustoms

I sell my ties to Koppers in West Plains, Mo. weekly and Lumber to a Broker/Invester who sends a truck to get it and Small ties / Cutoffs to Timberland here in town also.
There are several hardwood flooring places around here but they have been acting silly on there price and grading of our lumber latly so I ditched them as buyers until they get there game back together.
Full time Portable Band-Milling & Logging.

JB Griffin

Thanks guys the owner demoed the mill for us and all worked worked fine. He replaced the motor after he bought put on a new 25 hp koler also he reworked the wheel bearings to the newer style. Yes it is the over head carrage design, all tho a bit odd it seems well supported and cuts true. West Plains is a 3+ hour drive for me let a lone pulling a loaded trailer. thanks

drobertson

JB, it looks like you will have to ship to Hollister or even Springfield, or have a t/l ready to load at your mill through Sommerville tie co.  7x9 pine is going for 18,  7x9 oak, hickory for 23.50.  Not sure of Koppers, a few around here sell to them as well,  your 1", you will have to ask around and find the highest buyer I reckon.
david,  be ready for some hard grading,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JB Griffin

Thanks, Hollister is doable prob. be cutting gum, elm, hickory, and oak ties. Also heard of a new pallet mill in Berryville
a local mill sent 2 loads of cants today not paying much but they take culls.
waiting the bank to finish the paperwork and the mill is mine (or the banks for now). Got 3 leads for custom jobs just wondering what the going rate is, I was thinking .25 Bft.

Thanks again all.

Thank You Sponsors!