iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mt claims another 2 lives

Started by Ianab, October 28, 2013, 06:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

A young couple died over the weekend when they became trapped near the summit of the local Mt. They where experienced climbers, but it was their first time on Mt Egmont. They got caught out when the weather closed in late in the day, and had to take shelter in a snow cave. Trapped for 2 nights. SAR couldn't get climb up to them (wind and ice) and white out meant no helicopters either.

They had cellphone communications and searchers knew exactly where they where, just no way to get them down.

Women was still alive and conscious when the search crew got up to them, but died of hypothermia soon after. They had to leave them there another night as conditions where still too dangerous to recover the bodies. Air force helicopter lifted the bodies out this morning.

It has a reputation as one of the more dangerous mountains because it's so accessible and deceptively "safe" looking. But very changeable weather catches a lot of people out  :(

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9335511/Bodies-of-climbing-couple-airlifted-from-Mt-Taranaki
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

gspren

Sad to read, mountain weather changes fast. When I saw the Mt Taranaki mentioned it reminded me that I have a HMNZS Taranaki hat from back in 71 when my ship, the USS Obrien DD725, pulled into Auckland I traded hats with one of your sailors. There was some alcohol consumed and I remember when I went back on my ship with the Taranaki hat on I caught a bit of flak but I kept the hat, I wonder how the New Zealand sailor made out.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ernie

Quote from: Ianab on October 28, 2013, 06:48:25 PM
it was their first time on Mt Egmont.

Good to see someone still uses the right name for the mountain.

A very sad situation, that mountain can change a lot quicker than people realise.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Solomon

The Lord is my shepard, I shall not want, He maketh me to lie down in green pastures, He leadeth me beside the still waters, He restoreth my soul, He leadeth me in the paths of richousness for his namesake, Yea, though I walk through the vally of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me, thy rod and my staff they comfort me, Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemeys, Thou annointest my head with oil, my cup runneth over, surly goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the lord forever.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!