iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tall Trees and Blue Skies: The Central Carolina Sawyers Get-together

Started by NCDiesel, October 28, 2013, 04:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

Mikey, we can slab your walnut, will take a while. A lot of my time is spent handling between cuts, so if there are a few stout young men around it will go a lot quicker! 
Bring it, we will make a big pile of  dust.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

mrector

Sounds good Frank.  I will post a couple pics coming up. It has a large crotch linb about half way up. I will be more than generous with thw slabs.
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

scsmith42

I noticed that there is only two mills.  Would you guys like for me to bring Tom?  The main drawback is that there is usually 2 hour setup time.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

NCDiesel

Quote from: scsmith42 on April 11, 2014, 07:05:25 AM
I noticed that there is only two mills.  Would you guys like for me to bring Tom?  The main drawback is that there is usually 2 hour setup time.

Yes!   I have heard a lot about that mill, so I would love to see it.  I'll have my mill setup the day before, so I can help with set-up.

NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

mrector

Scott I can also assist with your set up of your mill!

And I also checked actual deminsions of log.. (seller told me the dimensions)
It is 36"-30" oval shaped at butt,  crotch section 32" wide. 8'8" long. I will throw a couple nice wild cherry crotches on the lil trailer as well. They're around 28" and up 4' long.
Mikey

Homemade logging arch

NCDiesel

Quote from: mrector on April 11, 2014, 05:21:00 PM

And I also checked actual deminsions of log.. (seller told me the dimensions)
It is 36"-30" oval shaped at butt,  crotch section 32" wide. 8'8" long. I will throw a couple nice wild cherry crotches on the lil trailer as well. They're around 28" and up 4' long.
Mikey

Thanks for the assistance in set-up.  I am sure Scott will appreciate it and I certainly do too.

As for all the people attending - don't be spooked by all the logs I have and mrector is bringing.  We'll work at a "fellowship pace" and whatever doesn't get cut - just doesn't get cut.  ;D 
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

mrector

Thanks for the assistance in set-up.  I am sure Scott will appreciate it and I certainly do too.

As for all the people attending - don't be spooked by all the logs I have and mrector is bringing.  We'll work at a "fellowship pace" and whatever doesn't get cut - just doesn't get cut.  ;D
[/quote]

Exactly!  Well said.
Homemade logging arch

scsmith42

Quote from: NCDiesel on April 11, 2014, 07:03:39 PM
Quote from: mrector on April 11, 2014, 05:21:00 PM

Thanks for the offer to assist!  RE the log sizes.... trust me... I am not spooked.....   ;D

scsmith42

I will plan on bringing Tom up, so that will give us two mills and a slabber to play with!

NCDiesel

I must be getting excited - I have done my clean, grease, and blade guide adjust getting ready.  More importantly, I got the third squaring arm I bought from Cooks late last year installed.  It required one weld to install - the rest of it was bolt on.   The weld attaches the fetch to the squaring arms' way runner(wrong words I am sure but that is what I call them):

Remember - just 11 days from now!

NCDiesel

scsmith42

NCDiesel

Quote from: scsmith42 on April 15, 2014, 09:26:40 PM
So what do we have in way of logs to mill and slab?

I have three walnut logs, three pecan logs and two pecan crotches.  The pecan is 5, 6 and 8' long and mid 20s in diameter.   The walnut is 8-10 feet and are in the mid to upper 20s in diameter.   The two pecan crotches are way wider than my 27" mill throat can handle - they would be great for Seaman's slabber. 

mrector is bringing a nice walnut(low 30s in diameter) and some cherry crotches too I think.

So no big monsters but some definite nice lumber.   Well over 1000 bd ft if we get ambitious.  So Tom might not get maxed out, but he'll get worked for sure.....
NCDiesel

NCDiesel

Updated list:

Member   Definite/Maybe?   No. folks   Sawmill
------------------------------------------------
kelLog               D                   2   
Fat Ole Elf          D                   1   
NCDiesel            D                   2               Y
Seaman             D                   1               Y
Okrafarmer        M                   1
scsmith42          D                   1(maybe2)  Y(Tom)
ddcuning           D                   1(maybe4)
mrector             D                   2
local help           D                   2
taylorsmissbehaven D              2
NCDiesel

scsmith42

Put me down for two. I am bringing a fellow miller with me.

mrector

I mapquested your address. Looks like I'm pretty familiar with that area. I used to work for BECO inc at the winston office right off reynolda rd.

I am still planning on being there. And bringing logs, and a side dish.
Mikey
Homemade logging arch

kelLOGg

I may be bringing a third friend. Will know toward end of week. In any event, I'll bring BBQs for 3 + a dessert.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

scsmith42

Bret and I will bring a complete BBQ brisket that will serve several.

NCDiesel

mrector - yea BECO is not that far from me - so you've been near my place before most definitely.

kelLog - the more the merrier - looking forward to it

scsmith42:   Mmmmmm.   I think I can smell the brisket already!

I think I have one more friend showing up to help too.   He has the kind of job that can occasionally pull him out of a commitment at the last minute, but he'll be here otherwise.

I think my wife plans on some BBQ, homemade soup, and sloppy Joe in case there are some folks don't like BBQ.  Also some other odds in ends in addition to the buns, fixings and drinks and whatnot.

Sounds like a great time!  Here is the updated list:

PS:  Fat Old Elf - I will have some dull blades for you to carry back and sharpen

kelLog               D                   3   
NCDiesel            D                   3               Y
scsmith42          D                   2               Y(Tom)
ddcuning           D                   1(maybe4)
NCDiesel

mrector

I went last night to load the cherry crotch and the excavator was not available to load. So I did some rigging up back at the house and loaded a nice 30"-ish maple trunk I been "spalting" it splits into 3 limbs bout 6' long. Should be nice inside, when I removed the tree trunk remains bout 2 years ago there was spalting alreadh occuring.
See ya Saturday
Mikey
Homemade logging arch

scsmith42

If it's ok Bret and I will arrive between 8 - 9 in order to have time to set up Tom by 10.

NCDiesel

Quote from: scsmith42 on April 24, 2014, 01:24:35 PM
If it's ok Bret and I will arrive between 8 - 9 in order to have time to set up Tom by 10.

No problem at all.  I'll be ready!
NCDiesel

NCDiesel

Latest - and last - count.   See everyone tomorrow !

kelLog               D                   3   
NCDiesel            D                   3               Y
scsmith42          D                   2               Y(Tom)
ddcuning           D                   3

Total 19(maybe 18)

NCDiesel

Seaman

I am bringing THE MUSCLE with me ( 8 year old son).
I am ashamed to say I have not had time to put together any food. I will rely on SCSmith's good nature for a little brisket I guess.
See ya in the morn!
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

scsmith42

Quote from: Seaman on April 25, 2014, 07:31:40 PM
I am bringing THE MUSCLE with me ( 8 year old son).
I am ashamed to say I have not had time to put together any food. I will rely on SCSmith's good nature for a little brisket I guess.
See ya in the morn!
Frank

Bret is planning to cook the brisket all night so it should still be warm tomorrow morning!  Unfortunately the largest one that we could find was only 8 lbs, but that ought to be enough to share.

I also picked up a bottle of Dickey's dipping sauce so that we will have some authentic Texas taste!

Am almost finished hitching up Tom.  He was treated to some new shoes (tires) this week in preparation for the trip. 

Thank You Sponsors!