iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tall Trees and Blue Skies: The Central Carolina Sawyers Get-together

Started by NCDiesel, October 28, 2013, 04:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

How about a phone number so WHEN I get lost someone can vector me in?

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

MinglewoodNC

Looks like I will be able to make it. I'll bring some of Pilot Mtn's best bbq and possibly one more set of good hands and his son.
  Bill

Chuck White

Hope all of you have a great time, eating, sawing, visiting, eating again ;D this weekend.

Have fun guys!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

kelLOGg

and it was a fantastic event thanks to the hospitality of Spencer and Melissa and all the sawyers who brought their mill.

Here's Seaman slabbing a walnut log

Spenser resawing one of the slabs with fat Ole Elf supervising

Scott using "Tom" to saw another walnut

Most of the gang

Note the alpaca in the background. Melissa has just sheared them for wool.

More pics to come from others...
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

thecfarm

I like that last picture. Sawyers looking on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Or looking under.  I'm afraid to ask??

Congrats guys on what looked to be a nice get together.   smiley_gossip
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ocklawahaboy

Great looking day.  I failed to take pics but I headed up the road a half hour to a local mill that was being christened as a new WM location.  Ran into Nomad and others and met some of the WM GA and IN folks.  I headed from there to our fledgling sheep, wool and herding dog festival to eat some food and hang out with my wife.  Glad to see I'm not the only one to combine sawdust and wool in one day.

fat olde elf

Great Day !  Kudos to Spencer and Denise for hosting.  Seaman and S.C. Smith hauled
mills in for the event. That blue Baker, now named "Tom" used to belong to Tom Cadenhead. Baker had rebuilt it for Tom as a gift. S.C. could really handle it well. Both Seaman and S.C. did excellent tutorials on cutting slabs.  Seaman says we should do another day in the fall at his place in Old Fort. I was proud to wear my Forestry Forum ball cap all day.
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on April 26, 2014, 09:19:09 PM
Or looking under.  I'm afraid to ask?? 

Looks to be the uncovering of the food table ;D

Look forward to hearing and seeing more of this gathering smiley_gossip
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

kelLOGg

Quote from: fat olde elf on April 27, 2014, 12:19:06 AM
Great Day !  Kudos to Spencer and Denise for hosting.  Seaman and S.C. Smith hauled
mills in for the event. That blue Baker, now named "Tom" used to belong to Tom Cadenhead. Baker had rebuilt it for Tom as a gift. S.C. could really handle it well. Both Seaman and S.C. did excellent tutorials on cutting slabs.  Seaman says we should do another day in the fall at his place in Old Fort. I was proud to wear my Forestry Forum ball cap all day.

oops - I got her name confused :embarassed:  Sorry.
Bob

ddcuning

Really enjoyed meeting folks yesterday and getting to see the sawmills. Thanks so much to Spencer (NCDiesel), Denise and friends for hosting us. Anyone who did not attend missed out on some god food!

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

taylorsmissbeehaven

I would like to say thanks to all as well. What a perfect day! Good weather, mills,great food and friends. I look forward to going to Old Fort in the fall. Thanks NCdiesel.  Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

NCDiesel

It was a great day!  Thanks to everyone for coming - we probably topped out at about 20+ souls at peak attendance.  Thanks to everyone for helping with the food - lots of great eats!  Lots of great sawing and sawing information from Frank and Scott.  It also was a beautiful day - it definitely lived up to the "BlueSkies" part of the gathering name   Special thanks to my friend Sam who brought his loader over.   I put some pics on my album.   I don't have many yet but Shana is getting me some more.   Here is the gallery.

It also includes a food picture  8)

I have a video was to big too upload to the forum.   It is very short but hi-definition so you can see details of Frank's mill.  I tried to put the link here, but it always tried to upload the movie when viewing the topic.   I thought that would bother folks so I have left it out.  PM me if you want a link.   

Thanks again to Jeff and all the other forum admins and helpers for making this possible!  I'll be sure to post more as I am able.
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

Jeff

Upload the video to youtube and then place the link here. We do not have the resources to host videos, so that's how we do it.  :)

I edited your post to include the photos within the post as it is a no-no to upload to a gallery then simply direct people to the gallery. Photos uploaded must be used in a post. The soul purpose of the gallery is to house the forum post photos. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

kelLOGg

Thanks for posting a food shot. Without that no one will think the event ever happened :D
Bob

mrector

Thanks to Spencer and his wife for hosting a fun event!  I had a lot of fun and learned a some things! Looking forward to another event in the fall.
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

mrector

Meeting a lot of great people was the highlight of the get together.  Another was the food!

Here's a snapshot Of the walnut slabs I brought home. Thanks Frank for sawing this up for me.
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

Seaman

Mike, I see a beautiful table top with those two on the right bookended!

I had a ball, and was happy to slab for you guys.
Thanks so much to our wonderful host and especially HOSTESS! What a fine lunch!
I also learned a bunch from Scott, and loved watching Tom work. What a MILL!

We will have to do it again in October, so you folks start looking at your calendars.

Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

kelLOGg

More pics taken by George.
This slab looks like it is ready to be sanded.

Another food shot.

scsmith42

Bret and I really enjoyed our time at the event.  Many thanks to Spencer and Denise for hosting the event; it takes a special kind of folks to open up their home and farm to a bunch of strangers!

Frank, thanks also for sharing your info re chain grind angles, etc.  Bret and I will be experimenting with these in the near future.

Also, thanks to the other FF members who attended.  It was great to put some faces with some handles, and I could feel Tom was smiling down on us from heaven during the event!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!