Sponsors:

Canker or Burl?

Started by RCBS, October 28, 2013, 04:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCBS

She's a big un.

I'm terrible at eyeballing diameter...so here's a hat for reference

From a distance

Sorry pics are horrible.  Bad camera phone plus heavy overcast that day.

What do I have here?  Hopefully something decent as this should have been a nearly defect-free tree!  I can remeber this thing from when I was a kid and it was basketball sized back then.
Echo CS-3400, 550xp, Jonsered 2166, L3130 Kubota, '78 JD 300 backhoe, Kubota RTV900, JD2305, lots of sharp stuff and several firearms

thecfarm

I have no idea,But do agree on the big un part. Interesting you been keeping your eye on it all these years too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Definitely looks like a burl to me, not a canker. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

coxy

I here they pay big money for white oak burls

RCBS

Thanks for the input everyone.  It is a white oak.  I have seen where burlwood is desirable, but have little knowledge about such.  It has been interesting watching it grow.  Every couple of years when I stop and look it suprises me how large its gotten.  This is on my fathers land and I've been running around those woods since the early eighties.  Have watched some nice logs grow over that time as well.  There are some other burls/cankers around the property, but none near as impressive.

So is there a market for such wood?   
Echo CS-3400, 550xp, Jonsered 2166, L3130 Kubota, '78 JD 300 backhoe, Kubota RTV900, JD2305, lots of sharp stuff and several firearms

WDH

The bowl turners like it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cedgo

OH Boy

From Ehow search
Tree Cankers

Tree cankers are areas of dead wood. Symptoms of tree cankers include branch dieback, wilting foliage and defoliation. The canker itself may appear discolored compared to the surrounding bark, swollen or deformed. When cankers appear on conifer trees, the trees may leak clear resin that dries white. If there are tiny bumps around the canker, there is a good chance that the tree has a fungal disease, according to Iowa State University.

Fungal Cankers

Fungal diseases cause both target-shaped and diffuse cankers, according to Cornell University. Target-shaped cankers are typically caused on deciduous trees. Fungi invade living or dead branches and grow in the fall and winter months. When the tree comes out of dormancy, it responds to the infection by growing layers of tissue around the infected areas, which causes the target shape. Diffuse cankers are the most deadly canker types. The fungal diseases that cause these cankers grow rapidly beneath the bark area. The tree has little chance to bounce back from the infection.

From FF glossary
Burl       A swirl or twist in the grain of wood, usually occurring near a knot, but which itself does not contain a knot.  Valued as the source of highly-figured burl veneers used for ornamental purposes.
Additional or regional comments :

Based on the definitions and that it seems to be growing, I would guess Canker. sure looks funny. I;ve seen some like this in Ohio also, but not that big.

RCBS

Will most likely be a while before this mystery unfolds.  It'll be on the ground once the log under it is ready, or it falls over trying to hold that big tumor up!   :)

RynSmith

Is it just me, or is there some sort of defect going on maybe 10-12 feet below the burl, just below the branch with the three yellow leaves?  Seems like the diameter narrows all of a sudden there.  Again, it may just be me...   :-\

SwampDonkey

Looks like a black knot burl on a cherry to me. I seem to see cherry leaves on some lower limbs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

RCBS

Well...looks like more/better photos are needed.  Not going tobhappen today in the rain, but will try to get a good shot next weekend.  Will try to get a ladder up there for a close-up picture.   

Autocar

A burl for sure a canker would hve fungus and dead wood showing.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!