iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

msg sawmill

Started by Bruce_A, May 17, 2004, 01:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce_A

Does anyone here have a msg sawmill in use and if so what are its good and bad points.  Looks very interesting on their website.

Tom

I think ADFields has one.

ADfields

I had a MSG and it was a great starter mill! 8)   I had the minny mill with a 13 horse Honda on it.   Bad points was the up/down was a hand full when cranking it all the way up to cut a new log, got to walk with it all the time, the lack of a good setworks and log handling equipment.   The good list is long!   You can cut top to bottom and never off bear till it's time to edge because it cuts both ways.   You can adjust the guides at an angle and cut both ways and get lap siding and shingles from it with no other attachments.   It's a very well made mill and I think the best you will find for the money!   I sold mine over a year back and got a bit more for it then I had in it so it holds it's value well, I sold it to build a bigger mill.   If you are looking for a mill for your use it's great but if you will be cutting for a living they are lacking even with all the bells and whistles.  They just don't hold a candle to an LT-40 but I feel they are a better value then an LT-15 for the money
Andy

Bruce_A

Andy Can you tell me how accurate they are?  And have you seen the new bigger mill in action? Thanks

ADfields

They are dead on as long as you have it set up good, it will cut paper for you. ;)   I was worried that when you turn it around it would cut bad but in fact it makes it faster to set it up and keep it tuned.   You can make a cut mark on a log, turn the head around and see if the back of the band hits the same mark and adjust as needed. ;)   You get good with it and you will have it dead, flat on, like a 1/32" or so, or around 1/16" with little effort at all!

Yes, I have ran a 550P and it's a good mill,   But for that kind of money I would look at Woodmizer for grade sawing or for building lumber out west hear look at the D&L Doublecut, you can find links to the left on this page.    You can get a mill with dragback so you don't even need to walk at all in that price range. ;)   Also look at the sawmill exchange < http://www.sawmill-exchange.com/ > for good used mills.   I see a Mobile Dimension for $7500 in Washington right now <  http://www.sawmill-exchange.com/circular.htm >   MSG is right there in Washington, it's good to go and play with them and see for your self what they are.
Andy

Fla._Deadheader

Just in case yer interested, Frank Pender still has a Mobile Dimension for sale. He's in Oregon and can teach you how to use it. ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ADfields

Frank's parting with a mill. :o :o
Andy

Thank You Sponsors!