iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Farmer Skidder

Started by deghan2172, October 27, 2013, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deghan2172

I just bought a early 70's tree farmer i think it is a c5b. It has a ford diesel in it and a 4spd with the transfer case shifter beside the seat 16.9x30 tires it also has a 20,000 pound braden mechanical winch plus an extended frame. My plan is to extend the arch and put a half door on it for mods. If anyone could help me out i'm not sure what size the ford motor is and i don't know much about the braden winch. Any info would help thanks.
78 Franklin 132 XL-N, 92 Dodge D250, Jonsered 2172, Jonsered 2152

HiTech

I don't know about the C5's but my C4 has a Ford diesel, 4 cylinder. Some say it is a 220 cu. in. and some say it is a 254 cu.in. From what I gather it is an English made diesel. Dorsett diesel I believe. If it has 8 wheel lugs it is probably a C4. There should be numbers stamped on the block or head that a Ford dealer (New Holland) could look up.

deghan2172

So if  its a 12 bolt wheel it must be a c5. I  don't know much about the tree farmers mechanically. does anyone know about the old braden winches though

HiTech

Quote from: deghan2172 on October 28, 2013, 09:45:05 PM
So if  its a 12 bolt wheel it must be a c5. I  don't know much about the tree farmers mechanically. does anyone know about the old braden winches though
I would say a 12 bolt is indeed a C5. Can't help with the winch. You may be able to Google something on it.

mad murdock

Braden Carco (Paccar) has a good website with links to their manuals for the winch, I believe.  Tree Farmers were good machines made form a lot of common off the shelf parts (mostly).  They are straight forward and reliable, IMO.  I have an earlier version of what later turned into a C-4, mine is a Garrett Model 15A, very similar to C-4- as Garrett sold the Tree Farmer rights to Cancar.  Mine is even called a TreeFarmer.  Here is a copy of the origninal sales flyer 
Here is a link to Paccar Winch.   They own Braden, Carco and Gearmatic now.  http://www.paccarwinch.com/manualsanddocs/manualsanddocs.aspx
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

rfm7fxfox

We have a mid 80's C5 cable with gearmatic winch and Detroit 353, great little machine, 18.4 x 34 tires. We turned the wheels around widening it out, very stable little machine! We widened it because for some reason we couldn't run chains on the front without them hitting the blade cylinders. IMO I don't know how much you want to raise your arch..the front end is already very light, we actually dropped our arch down one set of bolt holes which made the front stay planted on the ground more so then when it was raised. Also I wouldn't want doors on ours. The amount you're in and out of that cab the doors would drive me nuts. Very rarely are you on level ground and getting hit or hung up on a door when getting in and out would just pith me off! >:(  I've never had anything really come thru the open doors and hit me. Its what you want though, its your machine that's just my opinion. I've even been thinking bout taking the doors off my 450 grapple!  :o  Tree farmers are great machines and fairly easy to get parts for. Hope you enjoy it and it starts making you money soon! Good luck!
Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

deghan2172

The man I bought it from said it's pretty light in the rear. It's in his shop right now because we found out that the braden won't free spool so he's gonna fix that for me and put new rear tires on. Probably i'm gonna load the rear tires to keep the rear on the ground.

ga jones

Sounds like a c4b. Short wheel base. Little ford diesel light weight axles. I have one. Mine had an engine swap to 353 detroit. The winch was a gearco. That's gone to.any technical info or hard to find parts call Davco in Farmington Maine.all parts are still available as long as its not all cobbled up.you may want to think twice about loading the tires. I've broken plenty axle parts.if its got pr52 rockwells. There light.if the roll cage is round tubing not square it's most likely 60s era.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

deghan2172

Yeah it could be a C4B but it looks a little longer. I have a model 32 Franklin  winch that i pulled off my cousins Franklin 100 but I don't think the Tree Farmers hydraulics would be able to handle it. If I don't like the Braden winch I'll  try and find a Gearmatic 9 right now I have all parts for a Gearmatic swap except for the winch. I'm 90% positive the motor is a Ford ID220 Diesel. I haven't dealt much with smaller skidders I bought a Timberjack 240A with a Deutz when I graduated high school 2 years ago then I leased a Franklin 170 single arch grapple. I  decided a smaller machine is way better so I bought the Tree Farmer.

SwampDonkey

We had a gasoline engine in ours. But, I couldn't tell ya anything about it. Dad sold it 15+ years ago. Dad bought it from mother's cousins near Houlton, Maine. They used to run a mill and dad also let them cut wood off the farm here one time. If that is what they could call cutting wood. Never there most of the time. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ga jones

The only thing the hydraulics are used for on the model 32 is to engage disengage the brake and clutch. If u have the control assembly off the Franklin it will work. The control off the Franklin has a pressure reduction valve. It's like 350 psi. Hydraulic systems are like 1500-2500 psi.the model 32 pto may spin opposite the way yours turns.thats a great winch.i have one I was going to put on my c4. Couldn't find the control assembly.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

HiTech

If you are going to run chains on the rear then I wouldn't load the tires. When you winch up your hitch it will be load enough on the back. Use the smaller machines as they were intended to be used and they will last a lifetime.

coxy

Quote from: ga jones on November 23, 2013, 09:06:46 AM
The only thing the hydraulics are used for on the model 32 is to engage disengage the brake and clutch. If u have the control assembly off the Franklin it will work. The control off the Franklin has a pressure reduction valve. It's like 350 psi. Hydraulic systems are like 1500-2500 psi.the model 32 pto may spin opposite the way yours turns.thats a great winch.i have one I was going to put on my c4. Couldn't find the control assembly.
don't know any thing about that winch but if I am reading this wright you should be able to use a jd winch to  maybe  ;D

snowstorm

where was this skidder before you got it? there was one not far from here

ga jones

I'm in the process of putting an old 3305 deere winch on my c4 right now. The deere has a hydraulic pump internally. All it needs is the pto. It's a cable control. The cable go's to the pump in the winch.the Franklin needs hydraulic pressure from the skidders hydraulics. The control is like the control for a log splitter. However it is reduced to 300psi.i couldn't find anything that would work in place of the Franklin control for the model 32 that I have. The dozer blade and grapple (if equipped) are also in the Franklin control. It's hydraulic sections.

Thank You Sponsors!