iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS661

Started by sweetjetskier, October 27, 2013, 04:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetjetskier

A promo video I came across for the new Stihl © MS661 saw:

http://youtu.be/4bMRJv13-Mc
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

HolmenTree

It looks like Stihl now has a leg up on Husky with the new  micro processor control technology. From 261CM all the way up to 661CM, now we need a 201CM.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 27, 2013, 07:44:44 PM
It looks like Stihl now has a leg up on Husky with the new  micro processor control technology. From 261CM all the way up to 661CM, now we need a 201CM.

As far as I know, they have to pay Husky to use slightly outdated Husky AT technology. The EU made Husky sell rights (or something like that), to avoid a "monopoly" situation. 
Information collector.

Scoter

The 661 is a big disappointment to me. A lot of what I liked about the 660 has been stripped. (there are more videos of the 661 on the big video site)

It may run great, but so did my little sisters bike...for me the total package is lacking. Judging by the Husqvarna Autotune offerings I would guess they will not make the same mistakes when they go North of 74cc's. I can hope anyways.

SPIKER

hey guys:

I'm looking at a MS 660 Magnum saw that is a year or so old, light use looks new with 36" bar, asking $1000 is this a good price?   Not sure but I have at least 4 trees that I need something like this for and COULD rent one but may be able to get cheaper and use/sell after I've dropped what I need it for?   Good Bad or other?

thanks

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

angelo c

Call me old fashioned but i like to actually "run" a saw before i comment on how well it "runs"...must be an innernet thing. Last time i checked we don't have them here in the states yet. :(
wife,kids,dog,t-shirts to prove it

Scoter

By "may," I wasn't referring to the month... It's a verb expressing possibility...

AdkStihl

Flippy caps..........  :'(
J.Miller Photography

beenthere

I like them "flippy" caps...  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Full Chisel

Quote from: SPIKER on October 27, 2013, 10:25:05 PM
hey guys:

I'm looking at a MS 660 Magnum saw that is a year or so old, light use looks new with 36" bar, asking $1000 is this a good price?   Not sure but I have at least 4 trees that I need something like this for and COULD rent one but may be able to get cheaper and use/sell after I've dropped what I need it for?   Good Bad or other?

thanks

Mark

Mark, that is more than likely a good deal. Depend on how many chains was with that factory Stihl 36" bar and what type of chains. You could get your trees down and probably recover most of the money and be having owned a great saw. If that is a Possum in your avatar, though, I am done talking to you unless you change it.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

Full Chisel

(Besides if they ever discontinue the 660 Magnum, the price will appreciate on 'like new' ones on the used market for awhile.) It will also be decried as an outrage in the forums until Stihl reluctantly brings it back at a higher price.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

SPIKER

Quote from: Full Chisel on October 28, 2013, 08:57:22 PM
Quote from: SPIKER on October 27, 2013, 10:25:05 PM
hey guys:

thanks

Mark

Mark, that is more than likely a good deal. Depend on how many chains was with that factory Stihl 36" bar and what type of chains. You could get your trees down and probably recover most of the money and be having owned a great saw. If that is a Possum in your avatar, though, I am done talking to you unless you change it.
Full Chisel that is a Pic of old Possum for sure, he was in the back woods and wasn't sure which one was more tired that day...   COLD and not sure either one of us was up to moving out of the others way...  lol :D :D

I'm thinking about the saw but spoke to my neighbor saw mill owners today, they have semi load of pine logs, (pretty big ones at that) on way in with 2 barns to put up.    The Oak ones they had were getting whittled down but Hunting season is on lol

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on October 27, 2013, 08:04:18 PM

As far as I know, they have to pay Husky to use slightly outdated Husky AT technology. The EU made Husky sell rights (or something like that), to avoid a "monopoly" situation.
Well Niko it may appear Stihl got a better deal if that's the case on this technology sharing scheme. Because the newest 562XP and [3] 550XP's  I run all have unreliable starting issues with their AutoTune technology.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Scoter on October 27, 2013, 08:42:44 PM
The 661 is a big disappointment to me. A lot of what I liked about the 660 has been stripped. (there are more videos of the 661 on the big video site)

It may run great, but so did my little sisters bike...for me the total package is lacking. Judging by the Husqvarna Autotune offerings I would guess they will not make the same mistakes when they go North of 74cc's. I can hope anyways.
I looked at the Stihl sites brochure on the 661CM and it looks impressive ,some features like it's new spring antivibe would be what the new 461 needs.
Yes when I fire up my old strong running 066 Mag red lite it doesn't take me long to put it away because it make me want to grab my smooth spring anti vibe mount Husky 372, 395 saws. The old 066 just seems just like that.......old and outdated, and the 394/395 design is just as old as the 066. It's about time Stihl has finally introduced a good spring AV, air injection and micro processor big cube saw.
As I said Husky has a lot of catching up to do now, the 661CM finishes up the Stihl lineup nicely from 241CM -661CM. 

White Ash

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 29, 2013, 11:49:08 AM

Well Niko it may appear Stihl got a better deal if that's the case on this technology sharing scheme. Because the newest 562XP and [3] 550XP's  I run all have unreliable starting issues with their AutoTune technology.

I have a 441 cm and a 550 and as far as starting goes the 441 is by far easier to start.  And yes I am following the correct procedures for starting the 550.

Lets face it some saws, autotune or not, are easer to start than others.  My 441 is easier to start than the 550.

Saw Dr.

I just came back today from a couple days in VA beach at the factory.  I was able to talk to a guy who works with field testing new designs.  The 661 will be M-Tronic for the US market, and apparently the M-Tronic on it will have more control authority than previous versions.  There is also a vertical spring on the front of the A/V system to support when long bars are used.  They would not let me play with one   :-[

Big changes also in the works for the 201, and it sounds like the new stuff for it will be "backwards compatible"
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

Andyshine77

Should be a real nice saw, much smoother and more powerful than the latest anemic 660's. So far she looks well thought out in design, with the engine resembling the 461, which is a big improvement over the 441 IMHO.   
Andre.

JohnG28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XDb9Jp0OqA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This video really makes the 661 look impressive, especially compared to the 660, even though the 660 did have a longer bar.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Andyshine77

The handle placement and angle looks better as well, can't wait to run one!! 8)
Andre.

john_bud

I soooooooo wish you guys would stop talking about all the latest and greatest saws... I'm getting a bad case of saw envy :(

Not that a saw that big is NEEDED... I still want!
280 acres of tree farm

STIHLFULLSKIP

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 29, 2013, 11:49:08 AM

they do have the better deal, and are extremely reliable.

IndianSprings

I would never pay $1000.00 for a used 660, we sell them for 1089.00 off the shelf every day with a 25" and always throw in a couple of chains with the deal, the only difference you should have to pay is that of the cost difference of the 25" and 36" bar. The 660 really suffers from the restrictive muffler they have to wear due to EPA regs, imho this has kept them anemic, you really need to MM these saws to get any performance out of them.
The 661 should be a big improvement over the 660, as the 461 has over the 460.Our oak and walnut loggers
have been super pleased with the 461, several have traded in their 650's for the 461's and say after they are broke in cut right with the 650. The 660 was long overdue for a overhaul, with the CM and Gilardoni cylinder and piston it should show decent gains over the 660. I'm sure we'll see Husky use Stihl's fuel injection technology as that is the direction Stihl is headed in with the launch of the "I" series next year.
Indian Springs Farm
Firewood Purveyor
Orchard Grass & Alfalfa Hay
Stihl 660,460,441,440,038,361,261x2,028,200T,032,030
Homelite Super EZ, Dolmar 133,143
JD Farm Equipment
Buy made in the USA

Thank You Sponsors!