iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log arch idea

Started by OH Boy, October 25, 2013, 10:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH Boy

I have a trailer frame that I'd like to turn into a type of log arch. If the pdf attaches, the brown pipe frame is what I have, and the red is what I'm thinking of attaching. My idea is to have the A frame mounted on hinges so it may swing back to allow the cable to wrap around the log, then as the log is lifted up onto the "T" frame, the A would swing forward pulling the log onto the trailer. if it works, the log should end up laying on top of the T frame, with maybe some plates mounted across the main beam for the front of the log to rest on. Does this sound like it might work? definitely different than a log arch that holds the log under the inverted U frame, but trying to work with what I have. I'm mostly dealing with 8 ft logs for now.

The cable would run through a swiveling pulley under the apex of the A frame, so theoretically it would end up laying forward on top of the log for transport. Maybe some chains welded on as stops to keep it from falling backwards while hoisting the log upward.  Ideas? comments?

SPIKER

Hey Fellow OH Boy, could work well, I would use a hunk of "I" Beam or "H" beam running from the front to the back.   hook the Pulley to a Trolly (or sliding Block) that can be hand moved to the "Far End" away from the tong.   stick a bolt or spring loaded snap pin that keeps it held there at that end.   When the log is up almost tight pop the pin/pull the bolt and keep cranking to pull it to the front.   Have to watch out as the pulley will zip forward and the log will fall as the angle changes.   with a 2nd boat winch you can mount on TOP of the rail and a pulley on the very end to retract slowly and use it to PULL the logs back off the back.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

nk14zp

Some chains to keep it from going back too far and it should be fine.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

OH Boy

Good Thanks, glad to hear this doesn't seem too crazy an idea. I think I can make it work, and am still noodling the ideas to get the logs Off this thing if it works. I can see that's the benefit of a log arch where you back it over the mill cradle. If I'm understanding Spiker right I like the idea of a sliding beam,maybe something like a tilt trailer on a boat, and be able to winch it back off. something else to design up. I do have a2000 lb atv winch to maybe work into it too, with a battery box and hooked up might make it easier.

Sixacresand

This is the one I stuck together with my limited engineering and welding skills.  I use it to move logs, set and turn logs on my LT10 manual mill.   

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

And I like the tractor.  ;D  If it works and safe,what more can you ask for.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

My little 30 year old Craftsman tractor is my handy sawmill tug.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

John Mc

OH Boy -

What you are describing is almost exactly what some members have posted here as a rig for loading logs on the back of a trailer.  It was an arch or inverted Y mounted on the back of a trailer.  They used a trailer mounted winch to drag the log to the trailer. As it got close, the end of the choker tied around the log caught in the pully at the top of the arch and pivoted the arch, lifting the log up and over onto the trailer

I can't remember the name they called it, so have not been able to find it on a search, but there are proven designs out there.  Hopefully, someone here who remembers the name (or someone with better search skills) will post a link.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Fla._Deadheader

This one, maybe ?   

Or maybe this one ?

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

thecfarm

I always have to laugh about that no flat tire in the last picture.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OH Boy

Thanks for the pictures Deadheader, I knew I saw those somewhere and couldn't find them again, so I'm glad the idea is a proven system. Since I posted this question I've looked at what I have, ( trailer T frame, made of 3 in pipe) and all the pictures of typical log arches. I think I can cut up what I have and make a more common log arch and it might end up making it easier to back the logs onto my mill setup and move them around. I like this idea though for moving logs on the road, which I don't think I'd try on a log arch. I do have an old 18 ft camper I've been looking at, for taking off the camper and scrapping, then use the heavy frame as a log trailer like the ones shown. This setup would be good for that and have a licensed trailer. The more I think about it and see pictures, the size of what I have might not handle much of a log doing this setup, but should be okay for moving around the yard. I can always buy more bed frames and brace it up, right? Thanks for the input.

John Mc

That's some of the pictures I was thinking of, Fla._Deadheader. Do you remember what folks were calling that?

Somewhere on here I thought I saw a link to a video of one in action.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

trapper

I think dang deadheader was the name of the orginal system
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

mikeb1079

QuoteSomewhere on here I thought I saw a link to a video of one in action.

i believe tom the sawyer has posted some nice vids about his version, i think in the milling section.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

Make a forum "Search" and check the "Topic" box. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

Fla._Deadheader

Dan made a few changes to my design, so, it's gathered the DanG -Deadheader log lifter name.

Sometimes, the person trying to build an arch, just don't seem to be aware of the weight of logs, and, how building a narrow arch will be very unsteady on any incline or hill sides, because of the weight hanging from above the log.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!