iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roughing out a tool handle.

Started by hackberry jake, October 25, 2013, 07:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

A guy I work with wanted a new tool handle for an old cant hook his grandpa gave him. I decided bodark would be the perfect choice. This is my router lathe in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bQAn5Jgrt0
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

m wood

wow, nice.  is there anything you cant/wont do/make by yourself?
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

hackberry jake

I love building things, this is actually the first time I have used the router lathe in about 3 years. Most things are small enough to fit on my normal high speed lathe but this was about 4" too long. I figured it would be a good chance to make a video of it in action as well.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

It does a quick job. Did it start out as a square piece of wood? Or was it a small tree?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

Started out as a 2"thick board. I cut it down to a 2x2 then cut the corners off of it on the table saw to get an octagon.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You're a pretty smart guy, Hack. I seriously mean that my friend.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

justallan1

Great job Jake.
You could be half rich making wheel barrow handles and post hole digger handles. It seems the last one I bought was more than $10.00.

Allan

thecfarm

I think that handle is about $40? I brought one years ago. I bet 20 years now. Probably more like 70 now.  :o The handle was fine,but the peavey point kept falling out. The end was starting to fall apart where the peavey point went in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Well it is faster than my draw knife. Good job.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Jake, you never cease to amaze me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Soon Jake will have a controller hooked to the router as it moves the length of the handle to control depth of cut, and then the contour will emerge with thick and thin parts showing up...  just know it is happening soon. 

Then will come the double bit axe handle and after that the single bit axe handles... no end in sight.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

The final product.

The friend I made the handle for said this was his dads cant hook and he had it setting on his mantle for years as a display (the handle was in very bad shape). He asked me about making a handle for it so his son could use cutting firewood. After he saw it, he said it is going right back on the mantle. He is going to buy a cheap cant hook for his son. (I told him about LogRite, he said he would look into them.)

WDH

A work of art.  He made the right decision. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

Quote from: WDH on November 26, 2013, 10:49:32 PM
A work of art.  He made the right decision.

I agree. Too nice to be put back to work. smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Nice job, Jake.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

I cant can't watch the video on dial-up, but can look at pictures. That's a fine handle Jake.  ;D

Was always hard on wooden handles around the farm. Hammers and peaveys never seemed to hold a handle long.  ::) Bought a steel handled hammer 20 years ago and have two Logrite peaveys. ;D Still have my hard maple axe handle in tact in my axe since '84 though. Has taken on a red petina from tree blazing paint though. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Nice work and a nice handle Jake.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

thecfarm

Swampdonkey,you guys must of been hard on those handles.  :o  I can still hear my Father say to me,in a raised voice,Don't jerk that handle,or you will break it clean off. We used a wooden handle peavey quite a bit around here. My Father could not cut wood without one. I have no idea how old the handles are with the ones I have in the farm house. The one I have now is not all that old,20-25 years. I replaced it myself. Nothing a matter with the handle,but the point kept falling out of the end.

mesquite buckeye

Slick!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Now if you just added an eccentric to make ovals like pick and axe handles......

I wouldn't mind having a bird's eye maple axe handle. It would be purty. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Farmerjw

Mesquite, he can turn an ax handle on the equipment he has now.  All he has to do is offset the turning.  So he finds center then both sides of center at a determined distance.  Turn off center on one side then move it to turn the other side, will give you a slab sided handle.  Bet Jake knows what I am talking about.  Great piece of equipment there Jake.  smiley_clapping
Premier Bovine Scatologist

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Burlkraft

Quote from: mesquite buckeye link=topic=69864.msg1063043#msg1063043 date=138556654

I wouldn't mind having a bird's eye maple axe handle. It would be purty. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
/quote

I've made some turning tool handles out of birdseye. They don't last long. Purdy but not so structurally sound
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ron barnes

Putting it back on the mantle is the right place.  Beautiful work.  Love the lathe.

Thank You Sponsors!