iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry ceiling

Started by hackberry jake, October 25, 2013, 05:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I cut a few good sized cherry logs into paneling for a friend of mine. The lumber is just now dry enough to start hanging. Here are some pics of the progress.

I cut dropped 3/4" on each cut leaving a little over a 5/8" board each time. This was enough to skip plane one side and clean the other side up completely at 1/2" thick. We installed them with 2" finish nails. Still have a lot of runs to install.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Lud

Looks good!  Are they dry?  Are you shiplapping or T&G?  Is there a vapor barrier in there somewhere?

Is your new wife complaining about sawdust yet?  She will...........someday!! :D :D 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

hackberry jake

Quote from: Lud on October 25, 2013, 05:22:52 PM
Looks good!  Are they dry?  Are you shiplapping or T&G?  Is there a vapor barrier in there somewhere?

Is your new wife complaining about sawdust yet?  She will...........someday!! :D :D 8)
They are at about 14-16 % mc. They are just straight lined and butted up against each other. We are going to give it a few months and then put 1/2" wide battons over the gaps. Shes not complaining too aweful much. Hope it stays that way.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

red oaks lumber

my opinion on the battens, its going to look way to busy. :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

hackberry jake

Quote from: red oaks lumber on October 25, 2013, 06:30:59 PM
my opinion on the battens, its going to look way to busy. :)
If the gaps dont open too far, he may forgo putting battons up. I kind of thought the same thing.

WDH

A cherry ceiling  ???.  Wow. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warbird

That's going to look amazing.  I'd put up a vapor barrier of some kind, though.  Something to keep the dust and fiber glass out.

Magicman

It will shrink very little.  I would have used "faced" insulation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

downsouth

Looks good!
But, what's skip planing?

beenthere

Planing lightly to knock off the high spots, but not enough to clean up all the low spots.
Sometimes done to the backside of a paneling board where the rough sawn side is the face.

Sometimes done (and called hit and miss) to even out drying degrade due to warp.
And sometimes done to rough sawn green lumber to make a better stickered drying stack.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

downsouth

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Magicman

That is what I did on all of the wall paneling and flooring in my Cabin Addition.  One planer pass on the back side and then brought it down to 7/8" on the clean/finish side.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!