iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Clamp just QUIT.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 24, 2013, 08:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

S T R A N G E........I thought.

I had sawn a few Cedar logs this morning. All of a sudden the HD Clamp just quit. It would move up and down but it would not move toward the log or back away.
The HD cylinder was trying its best to push and pull but it would not budge.

I checked for ANYTHING that might be restricting the movement.....nothing.

I got the pipe wrench and took the nut off the bottom bolt that connects 2 arms. You can see where I took the nut off in the pic if you look close. I took a smaller bolt to use as a punch to tap the bolt out.

As I was tapping, there was so much CRUDE falling out from between the 2 arms and bolt threads. All I did was clean the threads with a wire brush, clean out the crude and put some grease on it. Put it back together and she works like a brand new one.

To me, I just thought this was a little strange this would happen. But it sure was a relief it wasn't something more serious.

I have to admit, when the HD clamp quit, in my mind, I over reacted. I thought the worst. My mind was racing from the HD handles through the HD pump, all the way to the log.  :D
Sometimes its just good to take a deep breath and think simple.  smiley_thumbsup

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

I would think some clamping functions have limited pressure so as not to mangle cants and boards.Seems there was just enough crud to bind its movement.Good info mate, others can check and perhaps lube theirs. When I built my bandmill I purposely limited the clamping force and the carriage travel so if something is in the way it will just stop. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Good thinking on isolating the problem.  If what you found was the actual problem, then it is fixed.  If it was not, then it will quit again.   :-\  Hopefully    :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 24, 2013, 08:27:59 PM
Good thinking on isolating the problem.  If what you found was the actual problem, then it is fixed.  If it was not, then it will quit again.   :-\  Hopefully    :D

It worked the rest of the day.  smiley_nananana  :)

thecfarm

I have a blower on my OWB that way. It died,I tried to turn it by hand,real hard to turn. Got a new one and it's fine now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

It's easy to over think right off the bat, and as you found, KISS,  a periodic dose of ATF on the guide shaft and pivot points is not a bad idea,  glad you got it going, without a full tear down,      david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

I put ATF on all moven parts evey day. some times 2 times a day.  ;D

I'm glad you fix it
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Peter,

(I think that the ATF would be hard to get off in the shower.  You must have some great soap.)

No, wait...  He was not talking about those kind of moving parts  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Doesn't Peter ride in a comfortable chair while he's milling? I bet the swivel and tilt back get plenty of TLC... ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Brucer

I find that both the horizontal and the vertical movement will get very slow and sticky if I don't spray the shafts with dry teflon lube every 50 hours or so.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Jim H

The horizontal movement on mine got sticky around 2500hrs. I tried lubing it, but had to do this a couple of times a day. I ended up putting a new bushing in the clamp assembly. Problem solved.  ;)
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

AnthonyW

Sound like a rubber curtain held on by a simple hose clamp would be in order to minimize the crud collection in that area. Easy on, easy off, and simple to lift and lube under.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

dboyt

Is the ATF good about not accumulating sawdust?  I've always used teflon or silicon on sliding parts and threads.  Sawdust slides right off.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Nomad

WM recommends ATF.  And it's not bad.  I prefer dry teflon, silicone, or graphite lube myself.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

terrifictimbersllc

I dip the whole mill in ATF once a month.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 25, 2013, 07:15:02 PM

I used to do the same but my mill will never see another drop of ATF since april when i was told by my woodmizer dealer to give my mill a very thorough steam clean To ensure COMPLETE removal of ALL ATF residue and then switch to dry graphite on the mast and AmsOil metal protector or some other such dry non sticky lubricant or teflon spray. Performance and maintenance it is a top notch alternative. I wont switch back any time soon. I spray the the clap shafts 2 or 3 times a week depending on usage. no more stuttering or sticking since I made that change.       
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

POSTON WIDEHEAD

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Peter Drouin

:D :D :D Good one  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

barbender

I have a squir t bottle I keep around the mill with a 50/50 diesel/atf mix, it's a little thinner and easier to spray it where I want it. I've been thinking about getting a flask I could fill with the mixture and take a little shot myself every now and again :D
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!