iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar Cookies

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 24, 2013, 07:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I sawed a few Cedar cookies from an old dried log yesterday. MC in the center of the cookies are 11%.
I sanded a cookie down last night and added 3 legs for a foot stole.

In the picture, you see Poly that has just been brushed on the cookie.

Problem to me.....this wood is sucking up Poly F A S T ! I have put on 8 coats and it keeps soaking in.
How long will this go on before I can get a shiny finish? Is there something I can apply to seal the wood and THEN add more Poly.

Here is are pics just before I applied the first coat of Poly.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

goose63

don't know what you can put on it but I think it would look mighty good in front of my recliner  8) :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

jueston

Axe Handle Hound

Glue size.  Mix ordinary white glue with water at about a 1:10 ratio, maybe a bit higher for something as porous as that cedar you're working on.  Brush it on, let it dry, and then sand lightly to smooth the surface.  If you sand aggressively you'll end up sanding off all your sealer and you'll likely melt the glue from the heat generated by the friction and clog up your sandpaper.   If you prefer stinky, smelly epoxy (I have a thing about epoxy) you could try smearing some across the face and then sand in a similar fashion when it cures, but it's likely going to require a lot of elbow grease to smooth out.

Magicman

Sanding Sealer.  It should have gone on first, but I think that you will be OK between coats.   Next time, Sanding Sealer first.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

If you sand it very fine, going thru the grits from 80 to 150 to 220, then buff with 0000 steel wool, that should do it.  More work, though.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

downsouth

That cookie sure would have made a nice looking clock!
The stool looks good also.

Wick

That poly cookie stool looks great. But I'm in the market for some wide devil wood mantles.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Lud

You might have used CA but I think the white glue wash was the most economical option. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Wick on October 25, 2013, 04:11:50 PM
...... But I'm in the market for some wide devil wood mantles.

I hear ya Wick. I picked up on ya. You been doing some reading.  smiley_thumbsup

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 24, 2013, 10:30:31 PM
Sanding Sealer.  It should have gone on first, but I think that you will be OK between coats.   Next time, Sanding Sealer first.

Took your advice Magic.
I finished up ANOTHER stool this afternoon.
After completing the sanding on the Cedar cookie, I applied 2 coats in 2 hours of "CABOT" sanding sealer. I'm applying Poly now without any problems.
That sanding sealer cured the problem of that thirsty, Poly drinking Cookie.  smiley_thumbsup

lowpolyjoe

Wow... beautiful color  :o

Wick

:D Can't get nothing by you  whiteflag_smiley
Timber Harvester 30HT25

grweldon

In case you might want to try it, shellac is also a sealer and any topcoat can be sprayed over it.  The nice thing about it is that you can thin it to almost any consistance (with denatured alcohol) and it will still work!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Axe Handle Hound

Very true provided it's dewaxed shellac.  The amber shellac typically found at home centers is not dewaxed and topcoats won't bond properly to it. 

grweldon

Yep... forgot about that...  I usually use blonde...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

m wood

Oh David, seems we got the poly thirst solved.  Any chance of a closer look at the legs and under side?  I see tenons coming clear through.  They look like some "cool" crookedy sticks under there.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

epiphoneprs

Would you mind telling me how you attach those legs?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: epiphoneprs on January 08, 2014, 12:05:45 AM
Would you mind telling me how you attach those legs?

Be glad to.
I first turn the seat upside down.
I then use GORILLA GLUE (the gooey stuff) to glue each leg in place.
Later after the glue dries......I will angle 2 small wood screws (about 3 inches long) through the side of each leg in to the bottom of the seat. This just firmly holds each leg in place and gives more stability.
I then turn the stool up right and pre-drill holes over each leg through the seat only. I want to counter sink the bolt heads.
Then I just screw the lag bolts through the seat down into each leg.

I make sure the pre-drilled hole through the seat is a little larger that the lag bolt so it won't crack the Cedar Cookie.
When this is done, just plug each hole where the bolt went in and sand it down flush.

If need be, you can also pre-drill down into the leg also if you think your leg may split also.

Then take the stool to the mill.....turn it upside down and clamp it.....then saw the legs off flush.
The stool will set true then.

grweldon

Those legs aren't going ANYWHERE!  Very nice!

Andy White

David
That is some really good looking Cedar Cookies!! I gotta find me some of that to attack! I also like your freestyle methods. I have trouble envisioning anything that is not square and flat. Outstanding job!    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WDH

For a man who has broomsedge growing on his fireplace mantle, he does pretty good. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 08, 2014, 09:16:43 PM
For a man who has broomsedge growing on his fireplace mantle, he does pretty good.

The wife said I used to have broom sedge on my face too.  :D

WDH

I have some stuff that will kill it.  I could send you some.

Thank You Sponsors!