iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large red oak

Started by Birchwood Logging, October 24, 2013, 06:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birchwood Logging

We cut a nice red oak today it had around 1800 feet in the old red

John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

EricR

did you load that with your skid steer

Birchwood Logging

Yep loaded it with my 232 cat skid steer it's a strong little loader I load the big ones one end at a time hear is another pic

John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

thecfarm

As I say,I can hear it groaning from here. I make my NH tractor groan a lot too. That is a big oak. I had ALOT of white pine that size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Birchwood Logging

Hear is another pic it was 30 inches at the tip

beenthere

A lotta firewood in that one...  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Birchwood Logging

I do split all my end pieces up in to firewood but that big boy went to the mill :-)

ga jones

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Birchwood Logging

Around 52 inches it was pretty consistent from the but to the log

Birchwood Logging

That truck load was a little over 2200 feet and could have hauled a little more lol

ga jones

I cut a lot of 40 you don't see many 50 plus 

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

ga jones

Birchwood Logging

ga jones

ga jones

Nice dozer. I'd like to have one like that. Easier on steep slopes than a skidder. Be nice to put skid roads in also.

mesquite buckeye

Those all look pretty nice. ;D

Looks like they grew really fast too.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

CX3

That is a dandy. I probably cut my largest red oak today. It was 32 at 8'  and had 6 logs in it. Dont really know the footage of it. Pretty big for around here though. Nice trees keep the pics comin I enjoy them
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

shortlogger

That's some nice timber , is it coming out of the ridges around here you only find hardwood that big in the creek bottoms
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

barbender

Wow! You guys grow some huge hardwood :o
Too many irons in the fire

terry f

Is there a reason that most hardwoods seem to be cut backwards, where the wedge is taken out of the log instead of the stump.

Kemper

Might be cutting the stump so low the notch has to go there. I prefer my notch to be on the log side, but since we got our feller buncher I don't do much notching anymore.

Quote from: terry f on October 25, 2013, 05:12:27 AM
   Is there a reason that most hardwoods seem to be cut backwards, where the wedge is taken out of the log instead of the stump.

ga jones

Yes low stumps to maximize footage. And the veneer. .I never saw a humbolt cut until ax men came on tv.

ga jones

You also don't need to lug around a big bar. We cut everything with 20 inch bar.open face bore cut is all that's used around here.they grow like that in all different terrain .theres little mechanized logging here.

beenthere

QuoteIs there a reason that most hardwoods seem to be cut backwards, where the wedge is taken out of the log instead of the stump.

Likely has to do with softwood cutting in the West, and the fact that lumber lengths were in 2' increments. Mills were not happy having a 16' log (16'6") that because of a notch had to knock off 2' at the lumber trimmer. So it was passed on down the line that butts couldn't have a felling notch removed or the log would be scaled back 2' at the scaling station (used to be done by scaler before weight scaling happened). That quickly meant the loggers would get penalized so the fellers were instructed to use the humboldt notch so the 2' scale deduction couldn't apply for that reason.

Whereas in the East, most logs were hardwood converted lumber sold random length. More length on the log butt end meant more wood, so to speak.

Many variations and reasons likely spin off from some generalizations of the two customs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed_K

That was a real nice tree  8) .Any red oak 40" plus up here will be all spider cracked.
One thing I was wondering about is your truck,is it pointing towards home?I always set my truck pointing out,just in case.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!