iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brand new mill, need help selecting blades

Started by TennesseeFarmerJohn, October 24, 2013, 03:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TennesseeFarmerJohn

I have just purchased a Norwood LM29, it has been in my barn for almost 3 months still boxed up, but this weekend the construction begins.

I need help choosing a blade.  I plan on using lenox blades, but I don't know about pitch or set. 90% of my sawing will be eastern red cedar.

My blade length is 144".

thanks, john

Larry

Welcome to the FF John. :)

ERC saws easy and fast with any style of blade.  I think I would go with either 9 or 10 degree.

You need to really watch as the band dulls.  Those hard little knots can cause waves when the band dulls.  It's hard to tell when the band is dull, because it will still be sawing easy.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

TennesseeFarmerJohn,welcome to the forum. good luck with the build. I think there area few posts on here about what you are about to do this weekend.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hamish

John,

Welcome to the Norwood family.  If you are new to milling you will have a few whoops and a bit of a learning curve to get things running.  Right now any band will do.  Consider the cheapest available till you have things sorted out initially.  Then the sky is the limit.

Points to consider:
1: one time use or re-sharpening
2:actual cost, shipping varies more than women
3:forget about set and different degrees of bands till you have a baseline to compare it to, 10deg was all that was available for years and it did the job

I have a ML26 and have tried a great number of band, with only 13hp, the degree of the band has little importance, however the set does.

Laugh the first time you cut into or cut off a log post, you'll get it figured out.......then one day cut it off again.

Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, TennesseeFarmerJohn.   :)

What blade does the Manufacturer recommend?  I use 10° blades for almost everything, including ERC.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

welcome, I would try the 10's for sure,  not sure on the length, as to where you can get them, other than Norwood, not sure about this, but 10's will do just fine,   have fun, glad you got it going!     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

I only saw for myself. I use the 10's and they work fine. I have sawed some of the cedar on my land and did fine with it.But I did try to saw some spruce,just once. The 10's did not work good,not at all. I don't have much spruce.very little really. Good thing too.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

FarmerJohn, good to see you here.  Lots of good advice from a lot of perspectives.  You've got to be itching to get started!  Ten degrees is good for ERC.  I have been quite pleased with Norwood's blades, and use them for most of my cutting, but there are other options out there.  When ordering from another manufacturer, you should match the thickness, width, hook angle, pitch, and length (count the teeth & multiply by 7/8).  You pretty much get what you pay for, so don't be driven by price alone.  When I was sending blades out for sharpening, I kept at least 20 on hand.  You don't want to be cut short on a nice day witha pile of logs decked up ready to mill!  I'd add that your first milling job should be cutting blockng and stickers to dry the good stuff.  We love pictures! 
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Solomon

I can't offer much advise on blades because all I have ever used is Munkfor blades, 229 inches    7/8 ,10 degree. I think they are .055 thick  , not absolutely sure about that.
I cut a lot of ERC,  Pressure treated Pilings,  red oak,  a small amount of cherry,  White and yellow pine, popalar and  my favorite  , Cyprus.  The Munkfor blades have cut everything with great results.  Even Hickory and Pecan.   ( I have had the blade rise or dive in the cut with pecan).
I have had very good luck with Munkfor so I have no bothered to try anything else.   I have that "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality.
  I am sure other blades out there
will do as well also.
Pete.  Chesapeake, Virginia
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!