iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Game of Logging PTH

Started by CX3, October 23, 2013, 11:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Just finished my professional timber harvester certification.  On my way to Missouri Master Logger! Took the classes with a bunch of good guys.  Learned a ton of great stuff.  Made some new friends even if they dont have the right kind of chainsaws!  And yes Hursh if you and Rick are reading this you need to learn to post so we can talk about how slow your huskys are LOL

Had a super good time.  I recommend these classes to any level of timber cutter.  Anyone can learn a bunch of great info

Paul
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

shortlogger

Slow and Husky are two words rarely seen in the same sentence .....
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

billporterfield

Your right shortlogger, if you say my chainsaw is really slow, Husky would come to mind.

thecfarm

CX3,good for you. I have heard alot of good things about the classes. You need to re certified every few years?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CX3

LOL theyre real slow right after running it through a steel wedge LOL its an inside joke

I have to take an 8 hour training class once a year to stay certified.  If you dont take a class, you have to take the whole thing over again.
You Better Believe It!

thecfarm

The joke is those putting on classes and inspections make more money than a guy with a chainsaw and a skidder.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Quote from: thecfarm on October 24, 2013, 06:09:04 PM
The joke is those putting on classes and inspections make more money than a guy with a chainsaw and a skidder.  :D
Ain't that the truth! So CX3, it looks like you are back to logging instead of sawmilling? Didn't you have a TJ grapple skidder before?
Too many irons in the fire

Decked

I went thru all 4 phases with Soren Erikkson himself instructing back in the early 90's..I really enjoyed it.
In fact..I'm still running the Stihl saw I purchased from Soren himself.. :)

CX3

Yes back to logging. I sold my 380tj to a guy and the deal was we would both buy timber . He'd log and I'd buy them. Well long story short he never planned to sell me his logs. So....back to logging and still dreaming of a mill.
You Better Believe It!

barbender

Well, I hope the mill comes together for you eventually. A guy can go so many different directions, I got a mill but between work and our house project I don't have enough time to saw and market any lumber. One of these days ::)

Nemologger

I think the PTH classes are good for guys wanting to work safe and responsible . I have been Missouri certified since 2001, back when Soren was the instructor.  Now Joe is the instructor and is a really good guy with lots of knowledge.
Clean and Sober

barbender

We have Logsafe, which is a MN department of labor OSHA safety course, and MLEP courses, which are an Industry/Government collaborative training. You have to take an 8 hour Logsafe every other year and 4 hours of MLEP every year, if I remember right. I hate the safety classes, I do fine in real emergencies, just do what needs done, but sitting around looking at pictures of someone else's emergency doesn't work for me. "This is what it looks like when you get ran over by a skidder" :-X No thanks. Some of the MLEP stuff is informative, and we have got to do some mill tours, which I enjoyed. I would really like to see a course like you guys are talking about, safe effecient work with a chainsaw. The problem is up here the logging is 99.9% mechanized, so the courses are catered to that.

CCC4

How far North in Missouri are you? We have no classes like that available here. I didn't know GOL was this far South. Are the classes worth a crap? Do you actually go to the bush and cut? What about faces...do you have to use the "GOL way" in order to pass certification? I think I can pretend long enough to grab a piece of paper. Just curious but are you headed out somewhere to go logging or is this just a learning tool or actual requirement?

timberlinetree

Learned something and made New friends. Well worth it and congratulations! :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

CX3

CCC4 yes I am a production logger. There were everyone from landowners to skidder operators to mill owners in class. The instructor taught us the open face bore cut. You must use that cut to pass. We each cut 4 trees during the course.
I live in sw mo. The class was in lebanon mo taught by joe glenn
You Better Believe It!

CX3

You do not need any type of certification to log in Missouri. I am working on my master logger certificate so I needed the course. Very useful information for me to learn the conservation side of logging
You Better Believe It!

dboyt

As I understand it, you need the certification to bid on state land.  I've taken courses under both Soren & Joe.  Both top notch, but with very different approaches.  Joe is a lot more laid back, and familiar with cutting the local species.  As a land owner in SW MO, taking the classes has helped a lot for the limited cutting I do, and also helps me recognize a good job when I see it.  Every logger we've had was someone who has taken the class.  Much less damage to the woods.  Hope you can get some classes going in Arkansas.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

CX3

Dboyt, yes you must have the class to bid on state owned timber. I agree on the woods looking much better after directionally falling the timber.  I have never been happier than I am right now with how my jobs are looking.
You Better Believe It!

CX3

You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!