iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Better carb for Lucas Kohler?

Started by Seaman, October 23, 2013, 08:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

I have a lot of problems with the carb on my Kohler 27 V-Twin. It is 10 or 12 yrs old .
It runs rich, won't idle, and floods at inopportune times. I thought I read on here about replacing the Cali approved carb but can not find it  .
Any help?
Thanks, Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

hamish

Whens the last time the carb was serviced/rebuilt?
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

logboy

Ive had issues with mine a couple times on my 827 over the years. Take the carb apart, clean the jets, change ALL the fuel lines, and replace the filter. You might as well completely drain the fuel tank and clean it out while you're at it, since 10 years of sawing has undoubtedly left some gunk in there. Do that and you shouldn't have any issues.  Mine has only done what you described when it was dirty. Thats a good carb, it shouldn't need replacing.

The carb on the 16 HP B&S on my slabber was another story. That was a miserably poor California carb that was always refusing to idle because it was starved for fuel. Since I replaced it I've had a lot fewer problems. And it doesnt use any more fuel despite a lot more time idling.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Seaman

Thanks Logboy, yours must be the post I remember about the Cali carb. Got a travel job today, if we make it thru that I will clean everything this weekend.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Magicman

After you have serviced and cleaned it up, you might consider non-ethanol gas if it is available to you.  Just a thought.

That is all that I ever run in my lawn mower, chain saws, generators, and other small engines.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sigidi

Always willing to help - Allan

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Seaman

Thank you LOGBOY !
I disassembled the carb and found one of the brass tubes filled with gunk. The tubes with all the cross drilled holes. Cleaned and cleaned, she purrs now and even IDLES !
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

sigidi

Attaboy Frank!!!! good onya, now you are getting into it  ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

Seaman

Yep, and got the new bar from LCS yesterday. Going to try it today, hope it helps solve the climb. I will keep you posted.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

logboy

Seaman

Logboy,I'll try it today and see if I still have climb. Loafed the whole weekend camping with friends.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

tjhammer

Frank I can't buy no-ethanol gas here anymore I use lucas safeguard at the wall-mart  16oz makes 80gal 1oz to 5gals the ethanol is hard on carb gaskets and causes the gunk.
tj
hammer

logboy

It is important for everyone to know about the harmful effects of ethanol as it is applicable to all small engines. This of course includes all makes and models of mills running gas engines. If you can help it, you do not want to run ethanol through a small engine, especially one that has plastic components (fuel tank).  Ethanol is corrosive and will actually degrade the plastic inside of the tank, gradually gumming up the works. Even though the fuel you're getting from the gas station might say ethanol free, because it is all shipped in the same trucks, lines, and pumps, there is always a bit of cross contamination.  I once spoke with a chemist who told me that they tested all of their local gas pumps labeled ethanol free and found that all of them had at least 2% ethanol, versus the 10% at the ethanol pumps. So even if you are buying ethanol free gas, it isn't.  Either way you're going to end up needing some sort of additive.  There are a lot of different products out there claiming to fix the problem, and they range widely in price.  One of the best ones I have found is called Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment. It comes in a blue bottle, costs only a few dollars, and treats up to 48 gallons of gas. Since I started putting it in every tank I have not had any more issues with gumming up. Sawdust can be an issue if I don't stay on top of my fuel filters, but that's another subject entirely.

logboy

If it is climbing on your slabber, it could be a number of issues.  What are you cutting, how wide is it, what is angle on your teeth (10-15), and how did you sharpen the chain? I have found 90% of my climbing issues could be fixed by a good sharpening.

Tee

Hey Frank,
      It was good to talk with you earlier. I meant to tell you I'd seen this post and tell you I agree with folks that say ethanol is bad on small engine fuel systems. More so on ones that sit for extended periods of time. Below is a link to a site that list e-free stations. Click on NC and see if there is one around you if you don't know where one is already.
     Tee

http://pure-gas.org/

Seaman

I try to burn e-free in the mill. When I cannot, I add Seafoam.
Started another link about the bar issue cause I was so excited.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Thank You Sponsors!