iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need new saw husqvarna 555 of stihl ms362

Started by Timbertron, October 23, 2013, 11:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut4fun

Quote from: grweldon on October 24, 2013, 07:49:00 AM

When I was doing my research last year before buying a Husky 365 I came up with the same thing regarding the likeness with a 372XP. The case on the 365 is aluminum, not magnesium a

Where in the world do you do your research at.  :o  I would stay away from there from now on.  Your info is wrong.

grweldon

Quote from: Cut4fun on October 26, 2013, 04:24:55 PM

When I was doing my research last year before buying a Husky 365 I came up with the same thing regarding the likeness with a 372XP. The case on the 365 is aluminum, not magnesium a

Where in the world do you do your research at.  :o  I would stay away from there from now on.  Your info is wrong.

It is entirely possible that my info is wrong, can't remember where that information came from.  It may have been heresay.  Can you point me to a reputable place where I can see the crankcase material in print?  The 365 is heavier than the 372XP, regardless of what is specified.  At the Husky dealer I put both on a scale straight from the display.  The 365 is over a half pound heavier.  This weight has to come from somewhere.  Granted, it could be several different places.  I thought the difference in crankcase material was a plausible reason.  Since I haven't disassembled any of it yet, I can't say from personal experience.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

ladylake

Quote from: weimedog on October 25, 2013, 04:21:52 PM
I get a kick out of these theoretical comparisons...we need a YOUTUBE video to compare them!! I have run a 562xp and own a 555. As to the line of thought a 555 isn't a pro saw and therefore isn't at the same level as the MS362? BS. I would compare the two and the 555 won't embarass itself in that comparison. The difference between a 555 and a 562xp is minimal for most people. There is a different ignition to allow the 16000 rpm burst for limbing, and a slightly different top end. Also the 555 is a small mount bar while the 562xp is a large mount. Bottom line is the 555 can be had anywhere from $550 to $600 bucks and is on the performance level of both those saws. Thats $100 less than the 562xp. And about that much less than a MS362 as well...so I question the logic to dismiss the 555 as a viable alternative from both the Husqvarna & Stihl types. From the Husqvarna side I can understand the desire to do dollars to dollars and gain the extra little performance the 562xp has; and from the Stihl side, to keep folks thinking the 555 isn't a pro level saw like the MS362 for $100bucks less. Neither want that dirty little secret to get out your blowing a lot of change to buy a different strip, a gimick or a well marketed name!... :snowball: ;D

Fact is the 555 is a kick ass saw built on a pro level chassis for less money than both the 562XP and MS362....and it doesn't give up much if any to either one of those two more expensive saws, either in construction or performance! 8) I would buy another one if is wasn't for the......wait for it..

Jonsered 2260! :)

BTW: Husvqarna has been building these type of "sleeper" saws for years, the 353, 365, and now 555 come to mind. Pro level saws that compete price wise with home owner derived "mid level" saw offerings form other builders.

Right, seems like some think if one saw cuts 1/2 second faster in a 10 second cut it's WAY ahead.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

nmurph

Quote from: grweldon on October 28, 2013, 08:08:02 AM
Quote from: Cut4fun on October 26, 2013, 04:24:55 PM

It is entirely possible that my info is wrong, can't remember where that information came from.  It may have been heresay.  Can you point me to a reputable place where I can see the crankcase material in print?  The 365 is heavier than the 372XP, regardless of what is specified.  At the Husky dealer I put both on a scale straight from the display.  The 365 is over a half pound heavier.  This weight has to come from somewhere.  Granted, it could be several different places.  I thought the difference in crankcase material was a plausible reason.  Since I haven't disassembled any of it yet, I can't say from personal experience.

The only difference bw the two models is the piston/cylinder, and any differences in design would only account for an ounce or three. There have also been some slight changes in the intake tract, but those were made to both saws and wouldn't account but for an ounce or two at the very most. The bottom line is that there isn't enough difference bw any of the two models to account for +.5lb. 

mikey517

According to the manual, the 365 X-Torq and the 372XP X-Torq both weigh in at 14.1 lbs. PHO and no fluids. The 372XPG X-torq weighs in at 14.5 lbs.

nmurph

Don't believe any manufacturer's weight spec.

The XP weighs about 14lb 2 oz and the XT weighs about 14lb 7oz.

SawTroll

...... The 365 is heavier than the 372XP, regardless of what is specified.  At the Husky dealer I put both on a scale straight from the display.  The 365 is over a half pound heavier.  This weight has to come from somewhere. .....

No, that isn't the case, unless the 365 was an XT and the 372xp not - or there was some mistake made, like fluids in the 365 or a heavier bar on it....
Information collector.

7sleeper

If you don't need a saw tomorrow, I would wait for the new M Tronic 362 to come out in your area. Will be a whole new game then!

martyinmi

Quote from: 6sunset6 on October 23, 2013, 03:41:45 PM
All right  I have this exact same problem myself.  A 30 year old Stihl 026 that quits when it get hot   about 60 sec and then will not start.  I had it into the shop and they said they fixed it but not. 
My 024 AVS did basically the same thing. I took it to my local dealer who determined that it was the coil. I told him if it was the coil that he was not to fix it, as he said the coil purchased from him and installed by him would be in access of $100. He did some research and discovered that Stihl had a lifetime warranty on the coil on my year and model saw. You might have your dealer check on a warranty for yours.
The Stihl gurus will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the 026 came out at about the same time as the 024 AVS.
Seems like I bought mine around '84, '85, '86???
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

grweldon

Quote from: SawTroll on October 28, 2013, 03:47:18 PM
...... The 365 is heavier than the 372XP, regardless of what is specified.  At the Husky dealer I put both on a scale straight from the display.  The 365 is over a half pound heavier.  This weight has to come from somewhere. .....

No, that isn't the case, unless the 365 was an XT and the 372xp not - or there was some mistake made, like fluids in the 365 or a heavier bar on it....

SawTroll...

I can read English.  One saw was a 365 (I bought it) the other was a 372xp, both straight off the shelf, never been run before.  I know what I experienced and saw with my eyes.  You can continue to tell me I'm wrong if you wish.  It really doesn't matter, as I said, I bought the 365.  I like it very much.  I've already registered my opinion for the OP that if the 555 would have been available when I was buying, I would have bought it.  Over. Out.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

grweldon

Quote from: martyinmi on October 29, 2013, 07:51:37 PM
My 024 AVS did basically the same thing. I took it to my local dealer who determined that it was the coil. I told him if it was the coil that he was not to fix it, as he said the coil purchased from him and installed by him would be in access of $100. He did some research and discovered that Stihl had a lifetime warranty on the coil on my year and model saw. You might have your dealer check on a warranty for yours.

Marty,  what is the difference between the AV and the AVS?  I have an 024 AV.  It's a good little saw!

nmurph

The Super is essentially an 026. The AV is has less displacement and HP.

Not to beat a dead horse, but there is not .5lb difference bw a 365/372. I have owned multiples of both and have weighed both, and a review of the IPL's will confirm the differences bw the models. Perhaps the error was in the scale or how the saws were placed on the scale.

There is a little difference bw the weights in these two pics which may be nothing more than the residual fuel/oil/debris (this 372 was split and rebuilt so it was very clean) though I try to get saws as clean as possible before I weigh them. I also have verified my scales against the Pitney-Bowes postal scale at work and it is consistantly within a couple tenths of an ounce with a 10lb dumbbell.

grweldon

I noticed that your 365 is a "special".  I don't know what that means.  Mine is a plain old 365...

SawTroll

Quote from: grweldon on November 01, 2013, 08:07:44 AM
I noticed that your 365 is a "special".  I don't know what that means.  Mine is a plain old 365...

I believe the main difference is that the "Special" has the side chain adjuster of the 372xp, while the plain 365 had the front one of the 371xp.

There has of course been other changes trough the years, but I don't think any of them correspond exactly to the change of model designation.
Information collector.

Spike60

This is another case of giving too much weight to that dang XP decal. The 555 is a pro saw regardless of whatever people think they must call something lacking an XP sticker. It will cut with the MS362, weights less and costs less. Like Weimedog said earlier, all of the saws that share a common chassis with an XP model are great deals. Husky is ahead of Stihl in that middle ground between the true homeowner stuff and the top end pro items. Husky offers a slightly detuned pro saw at a great price. Saws like the 555, 545, and 365 are bargains that won't be found in the Stihl catalog. (The exception to this argument IMO is the 570 which is thankfully NLA).

I sell the 555 for $550. It's one of the best buys in store, but of course 10 times as many guys go for the 562.  ::) Compare them with a stop watch, and the 562 will come out on top. But just work with them and any difference is hard to perceive.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

rattler

Quote from: SawTroll on November 01, 2013, 09:40:25 AM

I believe the main difference is that the "Special" has the side chain adjuster of the 372xp, while the plain 365 had the front one of the 371xp.

There has of course been other changes trough the years, but I don't think any of them correspond exactly to the change of model designation.
ST I did some work on a early model 365 that was a open port I think it was a 98 model.

mikey517

Quote from: Spike60 on November 01, 2013, 04:58:03 PM
This is another case of giving too much weight to that dang XP decal. The 555 is a pro saw regardless of whatever people think they must call something lacking an XP sticker. It will cut with the MS362, weights less and costs less. Like Weimedog said earlier, all of the saws that share a common chassis with an XP model are great deals. Husky is ahead of Stihl in that middle ground between the true homeowner stuff and the top end pro items. Husky offers a slightly detuned pro saw at a great price. Saws like the 555, 545, and 365 are bargains that won't be found in the Stihl catalog. (The exception to this argument IMO is the 570 which is thankfully NLA)

Amen!!
I'm just a wood burner, far far from a saw expert, but I learned on these forums that the XP is a marketing term. I have the 353 (thanks to some members here) and could not be more pleased. Same as the 346XP w/o the pretty gold XP decal, but a longer warranty.

I just got my hands on a new 365X-Torq with 24" bar. Got it for the same price as a Stihl 362 with a 20" bar. A week ago I spent 3 hours cutting logs for my buddy using his 372XP. Yesterday, I used my 365. Hard for me to tell the difference... hard for my buddy as well.

I wanted to pull the trigger on the 555, but - being an old fart - I'm leery with the auto-tune.

For my level of cutting, I like this "semi-pro" line up. The saws will probably outlive me!
Regards / Mike

Woodpulp

Quote from: Spike60 on November 01, 2013, 04:58:03 PM
This is another case of giving too much weight to that dang XP decal. The 555 is a pro saw regardless of whatever people think they must call something lacking an XP sticker. It will cut with the MS362, weights less and costs less. Like Weimedog said earlier, all of the saws that share a common chassis with an XP model are great deals. Husky is ahead of Stihl in that middle ground between the true homeowner stuff and the top end pro items. Husky offers a slightly detuned pro saw at a great price. Saws like the 555, 545, and 365 are bargains that won't be found in the Stihl catalog. (The exception to this argument IMO is the 570 which is thankfully NLA).

I sell the 555 for $550. It's one of the best buys in store, but of course 10 times as many guys go for the 562.  ::) Compare them with a stop watch, and the 562 will come out on top. But just work with them and any difference is hard to perceive.

That's what I thought too when I bought my 555 a year ago.  Compared the spec's closely and just couldn't justify the extra coin for the 562xp, not that I didn't lust after it some.  But for me, like the OP, cutting 5-8 cords a year for heating my home, the 555 fit the bill at a value price.  Been very happy with it so far - no issues with the AT.  Starts good hot or cold.  The only issue I had was the oiler, which wasn't working when I got it, but was replaced under warranty by the dealer. 
Chris

Stihl 012AVQ, MS261; Husky 555; Kubota BX25, Airens 27-ton splitter.

SawTroll

Quote from: rattler on November 01, 2013, 05:04:54 PM

ST I did some work on a early model 365 that was a open port I think it was a 98 model.

The change from open port to closed port is one of those I don't think is directly connected to the designation change - I suspect it originally was an EPA related change, but I don't know for sure....
Information collector.

grweldon

My 365 has the chain adjuster on the side.  I purchased it in 2012.

SawTroll

Quote from: grweldon on November 04, 2013, 02:13:14 PM

My 365 has the chain adjuster on the side.  I purchased it in 2012.

I assume it is an X-torq then. That changes "the game" again, as it means it is a 71cc "strato" saw....... ;)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!