iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Could someone point me to the Sweetgum forum?

Started by ChrisM, October 22, 2013, 09:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisM

I took me about 5 minutes as a reading guest to realize Sweetgums make for a lot of conversations.   :D  So it leaves me to wonder if there's a hidden forum dedicated to them.  This seems to be the emotionalicon for them. teeter_totter

Anyhow, I found this forum during my search and destroy mission.  I was searching for answers in my quest to destroy Sweetgums.   While reading some of the threads about them, I saw people using big words and using complete sentences so I figure they're smart and know what they're talking about.  I look forward to reading some more and learning from you guys so I can best care for the new property I just bought. 

Just a quick run down, it's only a 6 acre tract but the trees are very pleasingly diverse.  So far I have identified White Oak, Red Oak, Water Oak, Birch, Poplar, Maple, Pear, Pine, Willow and of course the ever endearing Sweetgum.

Thanks for having me.

Sweetgum Slayer

thecfarm

ChrisM,welcome to the forum. The man to ask about that is Magicman. He likes that stuff.  :D  About as much as I like grits.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Welcome ChrisM.  I have seen a sweetgum or two.  Lumber is pretty, hard to dry straight, spiral grain.  Suckers from the roots bad.  The sweetgum balls (fruit) are bad news in a yard.  Prolific and competitive.  Will take over if you blink.  Has very little wildlife value.  Garlon will kill it stone-cold-dead.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ChrisM

Quote from: WDH on October 22, 2013, 09:53:05 PMGarlon will kill it stone-cold-dead.

Sounds like a wonderful product.  I have saplings about as big around as your thumb and 6 feet tall or less.  Hundreds of them cover the dam and have to go before the root balls make it start leaking.  After having a track loader stopped dead by one of the stumps, I know how much wood they can have under the ground.  And they trick you.  It's just a bunch of little ones that you think, "awe that ain't no big deal" until you dig the bucket in and nearly flip your machine over when you hit that Volkswagen Beetle sized stump. 

But enough about Sweetgums here.  I can express my love for them in that elusive forum I am in search of.   ;D
Sweetgum Slayer

WDH

Looks like that we are gonna have to turn over a few big rocks and look deep into a few stump holes to find that Forum.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ChrisM

That's fine.  I can wait for Admin to remember what they did with it.  Probly put it somewhere smart like my wife does when I hand her something I will need again soon.

In the meantime, however, I am going to order me some Garlon and keep reading through the forum.  I have no doubt that eventually I will find some new hobby that I can't afford to take up. 
Sweetgum Slayer

WDH

Get the generic version, Element 4.  It will save you some $.  You might need a lot of it as sweetgum is ubiquitous and expansive down here.

mesquite buckeye

If you guys stop bad mouthing it and start managing and promoting it, maybe it would be expensive instead of expansive. ;D I am funny.

WDH

There was a place in Louisiana that made chop-sticks out of sweetgum.  However, they did not make it and went out of business  :). They might have fared better with hackberry, but I am not so sure. :-\.

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

I hear you can make some really pretty yellow toothpicks from poison ivy wood. I think we have the natl' champ of that one. Cut a 6" d once out in the woods. Now they seem to die before they get 4" thick. ;D I am very funny.

Magicman

I hates Sweetgum, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ChrisM.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

:D :D.           Welcome Chris... keep digging!
There's plenty of treasure here to uncover.   ;) ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

scgargoyle

The Sweetgum Forum is one of those limited access forums, where you have to have a certain number of posts before you can access it. So far, no one has reached enough posts to gain access...... :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

WDH

I cracked the door and looked in there once.  It was very hot and humid  :).  That is the way the Chainsaw Forum started out, too.

ron barnes

Sweetgum makes some beautiful bowls.  I have done several but have ran out of my stock.  Welcome to the forum.

Claybraker

I've also had good success with a generic version of Chopper, but it's soil active and persistent. Probably not the best choice for a dam if you want some vegetation. The nice thing about Garlon is it won't harm grass, usually.

Interesting trivia about Sweetgum. If you cut one down, it will send up 9 new shoots on average. Just like Medusa. It is truly evil.

beenthere

WDH
You mean it may open on Halloween night... just for a good scare?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!