iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Upper Black Gumbo Milling Site

Started by backwoods sawyer, October 21, 2013, 01:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

The last 4" rain had postponed today's milling job earlier, several cool dry days opened up the opportunity to move the mill into the Upper Black Gumbo Milling Site, it was one of those if it don't get
done today it will be summer time before these logs get milled.

Being on a steep hillside that has not seen the warmth of sun in some time there was no way of pulling the mill straight up the freshly bladed road to the landing. So I took the mill up a steep old grass covered 4 wheel drive skid road to a little turn around on a side hill and brought the mill back down to a trail that connected up with the top side of the landing and Little Jo never even asked to get out and watch. We walked the rout and the black gumbo was sticking to our shoes and squishing out the sides. Only one shot at getting the mill in position. All went well and as I pulled into position the mill and truck took a nice three foot sideways slide. That is where the mill was set more or less, it was steadily walking down the hill all day.

While unhooking the mill I noticed the front wheel was settling down into the freshly filled in ditch running to the well. The truck pulled out and spent the day 4' in front of the mill.

The 35 mostly small logs were laid out like pickup sticks, the first few logs were the worst as they had 4" of thick gumbo mud sticking to them from being winched into place. Requiring hand scraping even with the debarker slinging mud.
On a recent job a young blacksmith disappeared for a bit and returned with a freshly made hand held scraper and insisted I keep it, It works good, 

As area was opened up tailings were laid down for the logs to roll on to keep the mud off and sawdust was spread all the way around the mill to walk in, like adding flour when rolling out real sticky dough. Takes a bit to get enough sawdust to make paths and the mud was heavy. 

Log handling was a four wheeler with winch for the first few then we had room to use a pair of Logrite pee-vee's and the ice tongs. It was slow going, we ended the day with the last handful of logs in position, and more logs at a lower landing. This stuff is so sticky driving on it 100' downhill it had built up a 3" layer on the tires squishing out 6" each side.

Little Jo was positioning those small logs faster than I could pack off the tailings. Sure saves a lot of steps having a second operator.

The plan is to take the truck in from the top, position so the mill can be hooked up with minimal movement, and then straight down the beaver slide and hope the Gumbo peels off the tires on the fresh packed course rock road. So can make the turn around will let you know how all that goes.

Product of the day was all 2x4 stacked and stickered. All in all a good day.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

thecfarm

That Gumbo sounds like some nasty stuff.
Who is Little Jo?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

backwoods sawyer

Little Jo has became my second sawyer over the summer, with a long back ground in potato harvesting and processing equipment she has picked up sawing with ease. I have kept a steady supply of logs in front of the mill all summer so she has had the opportunity to saw volume as well as a wide variety of both hardwood and softwood all custom all portable. Oh and she is little Jo

This was her first big batch of sugar pine.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

beenthere

She must be in that picture somewhere....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Strength comes in many forms.  Hopefully Jo will be your winner.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I see her,I see her.   ;D  Arms up in the air. I did it!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

backwoods sawyer

Yesterday morning we dropped onto the upper landing and got a good position with the truck, everything was ready and sawdust was made and spread till the last log was done. Hooked up and eased down the beaver slide but was unable to make the tight turn to the second landing, had to take the mill all the way down the driveway to the river road turn around, then 4 low all the way back up to the lower landing, Three nice 24" white Oak wanted 3x12-16-18 square edged slabs for work benches.

Jo Finished those up after lunch and we moved down to another job out in the field where there was an over sized 16' cedar with a hollow butt, shortened it up to 12' and finished it up. All 1x8-6, another cedar was hooked up to the D-8 on the other side of the mountain at the active logging site.

This morning the 30' log was parked in front of the mill. Quick phone call, had a full cut list. Bucked the three 10' logs and Little Jo started with the middle one, cat bumped the other two into place. More 1x8-6 made for a short day at a nice easy pace.

Some of the mud on the log-rites was drying enough to break it off but that mud seems to have good wear time.

Off to the other side of the county in the morning, more small to midsized Doug fir.

I got to make 2 cuts today!!! The first two cuts on the butt log were too high for her to see, other than that Jo has the controls and I get the other end.

Thank You Sponsors!