iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

7 weeks off the cigs. Why didn't I do this years ago!

Started by Delawhere Jack, October 20, 2013, 06:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

On August 30, 2013, at 11:50am est I decided that I'd had enough. Was down to 4-5 smokes and was thinking that I'd need to make a run to Exxon to get more. Instead I took what was left in the pack, soaked them under the faucet and slammed them in the trash!!! 

With the help of some Nicorette gum to get me few the first month, I'm a non smoker!!!  :) :) :)

The one down side. After 30 plus years of smoking, and not having much of a sense of smell, I've come to reallize that there are a lot of things in this world that STINK!!  :D

LeeB

Good for you, partner. I quit on July 27th, 4 years ago. It can be done.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roger2561

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on October 20, 2013, 06:27:36 PM
On August 30, 2013, at 11:50am est I decided that I'd had enough. Was down to 4-5 smokes and was thinking that I'd need to make a run to Exxon to get more. Instead I took what was left in the pack, soaked them under the faucet and slammed them in the trash!!! 

With the help of some Nicorette gum to get me few the first month, I'm a non smoker!!!  :) :) :)

The one down side. After 30 plus years of smoking, and not having much of a sense of smell, I've come to reallize that there are a lot of things in this world that STINK!!  :D

Delewhere Jack;  Congratulations!  That's a difficult (and costly) habit to break.  I know, I did it nearly 21 years ago.  I was a 2 1/2 pack/day smoker.  I quit cold turkey.  It was by far one of the hardest things I did for myself.  Although it's been nearly 21 years since I last had a drag on one, I still will experience the crave for one.  All I do to combat it is have a large glass of orange juice or water and if that doesn't do the trick I'll go for a power walk; get my heart rate up there.  By the time I return home I no longer crave it.  Good luck and keep up the good work.  Roger

PS;  I know what you mean about your sense of smell and not believing how bad things stink!   :)     
Roger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

That's great Jack!  Never was a smoker but tried to quit chewing tobacco many times, I know what you've accomplished and keep up the effort!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

NWP

Congrats. I quit chewing tobacco 1 1/2 years ago. It was tough but I'm glad I did.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

thecfarm

Wait until you are in a line and someone in line is a smoker. Now that STINKS. I quit maybe 15 years ago. Those things are expensive now. I could not afford to smoke now. Set that money aside and buy yourself something. Good job. I am very happy that I don't have that nasty habit. But I do know it would take only one to get me smoking.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ET

Good job Jack.  Their is life after smoking and chewing. Both my grandads smoked and chawed so I did it too. I was 45 when I quit both and have never regretted it.  Drinking that big glass of water everytime I had a craving like Roger previously posted worked for me too. Dont stop now!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

mrcaptainbob

Congrats on being a quitter!! I did it around 37 years ago. Thursday morning at 9:30. Haven't had one since. I always believed I could have one and not go back, but I'm not willing to take that chance. I lost many, many friends and family members to lung cancer. My two boys were growing at the time, too, and I wanted to be able to run with them when they were ten. Good for you on the effort.

Chuck White

You're doing good Jack, keep it up and after a while you'll be surprised at how easy it is to just say no when you get the urge!

smiley_thumbsup  smiley_thumbsup
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

r.man

Congratulations, that sense of smell might come in handy, gas leaks etc. One of the few things on me that hasn't been dulled by a bit of age. Unfortunately for you one of the common smells out in the open is cigarette smoke.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

DoubleD

Congratulation Jack  8) keep up with the good job, it will be hard but you can do it!!

I did quit 5 years ago september 9th
Wannabe a sawmiller

justallan1

WmFritz

Good on you DJ!   8) 8) 8)

I just had this discussion with my Dad the other day. I never smoked but, he quit in his mid-forties kinda the way you did. He decided one day he was done with them and told himself ''I won't smoke today but, I'll smoke tomorrow.'' The next day would repeat until eventually he didn't think about them anymore. That was around 35 years ago.

Coca Cola is my downfall. As hard as I've tried, I can't kick the sugar.  :D :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

DonT

Well done, it is one of the hardest things that you will ever do.

Warbird

Congrats.  Stick it out.  I quit 13 or 14 years ago.  It was so difficult but was one of the best things I've ever done.

Mooseherder

Congratulations!  8)
I had to go back and search how long ago it was when I quit. It was the end of January 2008.
You're going to feel a lot better.  :)

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,29699.0.html

Solomon

I started smoking Marlburo's at age 14 and quit cold turkey at 21. I'm almost 53 now.  Just think of all that money I was able to spend on saw blades planer knives , sharpening,  guide bearings and other vises like barley and hops!
But now a days my vises are tools and machinery.   I am such a tool addict that those who know me think I need help.  But I'm in denial!!!
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Sixacresand

I don't miss the smoking one bit.  I still crave a good chew every now and then.  I don't know if it is a craving for nicotine or sugar.  i heard they make a tobacco now that is artificially sweetened.   I guess it would be like a plug of Bull Of the Woods with a Sweet N Low.    ;D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Delawhere Jack

Thanks for all the support. I'm now off of the nicotine gum as well for about 2 weeks. Occasionally I'll reach for a smoke in my pocket after a meal, but I realize what I'm doing and stop. It's just habit, and it's getting getting less frequent. Can't say that I have any cravings, just the habit of reaching for one now and then.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Way to go Jack

I quit March 22nd of 2012. Have not regret that decision at all. Feel much better and I dont waste the money or ruin clothes with burn marks. Car smells a lot better too :)
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Thank You Sponsors!