iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Duerr 20 ton splitter

Started by homeyd, October 20, 2013, 03:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homeyd

does anyone know if there is a typical shaft size on the 5 hp engine?mine bit the dust i need to order a engine.. thanks guys

sawguy21

3/4" is the most common (and the cheapest). Change the coupling half if necessary.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

homeyd

thanks saw guy i noticed in the nort. tool they also had diff lengths. if needed should they have the coup? is it a reducing type coup/ all new to me. thamks for the reply

John Mc

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 20, 2013, 03:38:39 PM
3/4" is the most common (and the cheapest). Change the coupling half if necessary.

I've also seen them in 5/8" and 1" diameter on occasion.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

homeyd

Quotemine bit the dust i need to order a engine.
Is it not possible to measure what is on the old engine?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

homeyd

o yea can do  .that will be my safest bet ,for sure . seems like a few years ago the repairman tole me  1in. does that make it a bas#a*d size? didnt see that option in the n tool site,if so do they make some sorta adpter? thanks,, been there

sawguy21

That is the best way. It is likely 3/4" x 3 5/32" assuming it is a horizontal shaft engine, this is common and cheap for the equipment manufacturer. 1" is available but more expensive. If the dusted engine is this style, the new ohv will likely need to be shimmed to align the shafts. If a vertical shaft things get more involved, a standard mower  engine won't work.

homeyd

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 20, 2013, 04:16:27 PM
That is the best way. It is likely 3/4" x 3 5/32" assuming it is a horizontal shaft engine, this is common and cheap for the equipment manufacturer. 1" is available but more expensive. If the dusted engine is this style, the new ohv will likely need to be shimmed to align the shafts. If a vertical shaft things get more involved, a standard mower  engine won't work.
Quote from: sawguy21 on October 20, 2013, 04:16:27 PM
its a horizontal shaft.but can the 1"engine be replaced w/ a3/4 engine ? im not sure how the shaft marries up to the pump.

sawguy21

It likely has a lovejoy coupling, two metal drivers with a neoprene star between them. Change the engine side coupler if necessary and ensure the shafts are aligned. If they are not, the unit will vibrate and the coupling may fail.

beenthere

Quotedidnt see that option in the n tool site,

Graduate to a different site, and maybe look at Surplus Center (surpluscenter.com). IMO much more helpful.

But it is your nickel.   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Jacks Small Engines is a pretty good site for engines, if you are looking for new.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!