iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Licensing a homemade sawmill trailer. (specifically MI)

Started by Timberline, October 20, 2013, 02:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberline

I read through all of the steps to licensing a homemade trailer here in MI.  Apparently it must be inspected by a police officer, get it weighed, take everything down to the DMV and then they will have another department call you.  That is the department that re-inspects it and then affixes the vin.  I guess it can be a month or more before that department can come do the inspection. 

Here's the problem, I was originally going to get it registered prior to putting the saw on the trailer to avoid any trouble.  I was just going to consider that its load.  But I really need to get this assembled on there before   the second inspection would likely be.  My question is, have any of you had any trouble registering a trailer with the saw on it?

sawguy21

Can you not register it a a home built utility trailer?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

If you are using this to create a permanently mobile sawmill, and that is all it is used for, you don't need a plate.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Is it this assembly that you are asking about registering?

Appears it really is not a trailer, but a portable sawmill including the wheels.

Take a pic to a police officer and ask, likely the answer will be just what Jeff said.  ;)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redprospector

This isn't in MI, but similar situation.
I got the run around from DMV when I built mine (very similar to the one posted above).
State Trooper pulled me over and told me that I needed a registration.
Went to DMV. They told me that they didn't have a classification for a "portable sawmill". No registration needed.
Got pulled over by the same Trooper (not happy). I told him what DMV said, he wrote me a citation.
Went back to DMV, same story. But they wouldn't put it in writing.
Went to court, the judge said that I shouldn't need a registration for a piece of equipment.
I lost at least a full day's work messing with all this, and $38.00 court cost.  ???
Wonder why even if you're not wrong you still have to pay court cost? Maybe if the officer writing the citation had to pay the court cost out of his pocket this wouldn't happen very often.  :D

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Delawhere Jack

What Jeff said. In many states portable mills are considered farm equipment and do not require registration or tags. Look into that angle.

I'd tell the story of trying to register my Turner mill here in the Peoples Republic of Stupid, but I'm in a good mood now, and I'd like to stay that way.  ;)

Timberline

WOW, thats cool!!!  8)   That makes things a lot easier and cheaper  ;D  I've got some new pictures of it after paint that I will upload later.  Thanks for the help!

jmouton

hey  timberline   , all you have to do is take the trailer and get it weighed  and get the weight slip and take it to sec of state  tell them  it a homemade trailer  and they will ask you about how much its worth  and then they will  give you a permenant plate for 75 $  plus tax and misc  not sure exactly ,  there are 3  trailer plates  they go by weight progressively going up in price  75  to  300 i think  for heavy trailer like semi  ,  most scrap yards have drive on scales , it s very easy to get a mich  perm plate ,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

jmouton

oh  i forgot to tell  you too ,,   you dont have to have it inspected  by anybody no dot or police or  nobody ,,  i know  , i buy ,sell  and build trailers as my 3  job ,in my spare time i dont have 

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

SPIKER

Not in Mich myself but I believe what a few are saying is correct for there as it is for Ohio.   On a "Specific Built Equipment Trailer" I.E. (trailer that is part of a piece of equipment to move it from one location to another does not require a tag/plates.)   We bought one of the small HF trailers and welded it up for a Portable Welder Trailer.   It does not require Tags because the "welder" is attached to the "Trailer" just as if the "Saw-Head" is attached to YOUR trailer.  Things like a Boat Trailer however the boat is detachable and other boats or materials can be added so it (boat trailer) is not covered like equipment that is only used for one item that remains on the trailer.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Jemclimber

In NY it is considered farm equipment and doesn't need to be registered. Same thing applies to wood chippers and other farm equipment. It does need running lights though. Many police officers do not know the law and cannot be relied on for accurate information. I've known police try to write a ticket for no license plate on a wood chipper.  A friend of mine recently got a ticket for no license plate light on his wood chipper which doesn't require a registration in NY, no license plate to be illuminated. He has to go to court to get it dismissed and it will cost him time and money.
This DOT cop just pulled him over and said his lights on the chipper weren't working. He checks them every morning at hook up. When asking the cop to verify, the lights were working fine and the cop said the problem must have self corrected. 
Ok, rant over.
lt15

Al_Smith

As already been mentioned  in Ohio it's just a piece of equipment like a welder ,morter mixer etc .

It it were a trailer all that's needed is a weight slip ,no title .

manoverboard

W. Virginia DMV asked me if my mill has a VIN, it does not, so no need (or way) to register my mill. It is a piece of equipment, not a trailer...
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

Stephen1

In the great white north, Ontario. The WM did not need registering because if the sawhead/equipment is removed and it cannot be turned into a trailer no registration needed.  A generator bolted to a flat trailer would need a registration as it can be used as such when the generstor is removed.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Joe Lallande

I agree with Jim.  I have built several utility trailers here in MI.  Take a picture, get it weighted and go to the Sect of State. They charge you for the tag on its weight.  Good luck.

eric3793

Does anyone know about hauling a Woodmizer in the state of Maine?  I move the LT30 mill once a year from my home to a woodlot about 20 miles away.  I like the sound of the farm equipment exemption for registration.  I also noticed that WM does not provide a place to hang a license plate but the single rear brake light does function.
84 LT30 and lots of Stihl saws.

thecfarm

GDinMaine has one on the road. Send him a pm,he might not see this.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

eric3793

Quote from: thecfarm on November 01, 2013, 07:57:46 PM
GDinMaine has one on the road. Send him a pm,he might not see this.

Thanks...I'll do that.
84 LT30 and lots of Stihl saws.

chance33

In Pa. it is my understanding that you can put an SMV plackard on the back and travel 35 mph and you are legal. I do however use stop and turn signals on my mill.
Mahindra 4025 4wd, FEL, Farm351P, Turner portable mill w/ 25 hp Honda, Wood Beaver 16 Processor.

rimshot

in Michigan, sawmills arel like Well drilling rigs.  They are primarily machines that have to go places.   They can't fly so they can have the convenience of having wheels attached.  My WoodMizer LT10 has been retrofitted to a an old steel boat trailer.  I called Lansing Secretary Of State to confirm these facts that I ALREADY  knew.  BTW, If you do the same by asking someone from Lansing SOS they are going to hate to agree to these facts.  I think they are afraid to verify this information due to the lack of income for the state.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Brian_Rhoad

Unless they changed the law in PA, you can get a ticket for going over 25 mph with a SMV triangle.

Here is the regulation:  All farm machinery and implements of husbandry including all road construction and maintenance machinery designed to operate at 25 miles per hour or less, traveling on a public highway day or night shall display, on the rear of the vehicle, a slow-moving vehicle reflective emblem as specified in subsection (a) of the act. The emblem shall be positioned as near as practicable to the center of the machinery.

GDinMaine

Quote from: eric3793 on November 01, 2013, 07:50:10 PM
Does anyone know about hauling a Woodmizer in the state of Maine?  I move the LT30 mill once a year from my home to a woodlot about 20 miles away.  I like the sound of the farm equipment exemption for registration.  I also noticed that WM does not provide a place to hang a license plate but the single rear brake light does function.

When I registered my mill I was given an EQUIPMENT plate.  As far as I know if the break/turn signal lights of the tow vehicle are visible while towing, the trailer does not have to have functional lights in Maine. I do like to have lights tho.  If you only move the mill once a year I understand your hesitation.  To me, it was the first thing I did, so I can roll down the road in a legal and safe fashion.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

pineywoods

This all varies from state to state, but there are some gottcha's. I got caught by one. When I retired, the first major project was to build me a 16 ft 2 axle dump bed trailer. two cut down mobile home axles and a bunch of steel later it was all done. visit DMV, assigned serial number,registration and tag, and I'm all set. Except no title. Mississippi does not title home-made trailers.  Not a problem until I move to Louisiana. Can't register trailer in Louisiana without a valid title. Went round and round between the two DMVs to no avail. Finally a savy old state trooper solved the problem. Tell Mississippi the trailer has been scrapped, then dis-assemble it. RE-assemble with a few minor changes that I needed anyway, then jump through all the Louisiana hoops to register a home made trailer, complete with title, registration, and a permanent tag.  $40...
DanG bureaucrats are the same the world over...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

diesel pap

i met the driver at 7:30 about 1 hour away to get my new ezboardwalk 40 tuesday morning. the driver drove all night from mo. they was no lights except a blinking light on the rear. he pulled that off and i asked him if i needed lights. he said no. i pulled it home about a hour away at highway speed.

manoverboard

TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

Thank You Sponsors!