iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm curious

Started by r.man, October 20, 2013, 08:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

I know most of you talk about starting your furnaces when it gets cool but what temperature do you let your houses get to before the heat gets turned on. My wife and I are comfortable in the low sixties, she in a sweater and parka and me in a T shirt so I don't bother lighting it unless we have company or one of us is under the weather and feeling the cold. She actually does say don't bother when I mention getting it lit if the house is 61 ish for a day or two. Most of the time the sun comes out and it warms the house up into the mid sixties by the afternoon for a reasonable evening temperature. I think though that I will light it today because the house has been hovering around 55 inside for a day with no end in sight with the rainy cool weather. I would have put a long sleeve shirt on last night if there had been one near me so I think it is time for the first fire of the year.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Hilltop366

I start to get complaints around 65° to 67°, then if there is no sun in the forecast I will light the boiler and dump the heat in the floor by the next morning I will get complaints that it is too warm.

Sometimes I get it right.

Have made 2 fires so far this year.

chevytaHOE5674

The wife starts complaining when the morning temps in the house are in the low 60's or high 50's. I look at the weather to see if the forecast is going to stay chilly and if so I get a fire going.

thecfarm

I keep mine going for the hot water and I'm not saying that is a good way to heat the water. So for me to keep the wife happy is quite easy. Just turn a couple valves in the basement and she turns the thermostat on and she is good to go. Than most times in the morning I turn it back off and then back on at night. If we was dependant on the sun,we would be cold. Our house does not face the sun. We had it built for the view,not the sun. But we don't have to run the air conditioner so much either. There has been a few summers that I did not put it in.This has been a warm fall,so far.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

upsnake

Same as Thecfarm.
The boiler was already on, so turn a couple valves.
I opened the valves mid sept, that was enough just through convection in the furnace. Then around Oct 1st my wife took over the thermostat :)

We keep it 69-71.

talldog

We still have a woodstove in the kitchen from pre-boiler days. The odds and ends of wood at the wood yard have been collected and are in the woodbox. They are just perfect for small fires to take off the chill. I will probably have to get the boiler fired up maybe next weekend Its supposed to get cooler here in the Northeast. Have to keep Momma happy

LAZERDAN

Well I was doin ok until friday, the temp on the thermostat hit 60 and the ladies were not happy, but I like to make it until Nov. just for principal of course.    This really makes em fiesty        Lazerdan     

giant splinter

The best way to determine when its time to turn up the heat is when they stop wearing your t-shirts and your drawer is full of them again because they switched to their sweaters to stay warm. :) :D ;D.
If you recognize this pattern you can get the temperature where they like it without having to deal with complaints, and you will notice your t-shirts are missing again.
roll with it

beenthere

I leave the thermostats in the living area at 72 deg, and back up the circulator pumps with either the gas or the wood systems.
Never hear complaints.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!