iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

5.9 cummins BTA rebuild

Started by brent373, October 19, 2013, 11:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brent373

Im hoping for a cummins expert out there to stumble across this one.. Im overhauling my early model 12 valve 5.9 BTA cummins from my clark 667F skidder. Ive owned it for 3 years and the engine ID plate was missing so I have no info to know the year of manufacture. The trouble ive run into with the overhaul is in the upper connecting rod bushing. Its the early style with the oil hole in the top of the rod. The bushings i was sent have an ID that is .020" smaller than the wrist pin. The OD will make for a .001 - .002" press fit into the rod which is perfect.
My question is, am I expected to bore these bushings after installing, or did they simply send the wrong size bushings ? No mechanic ive spoken to seems 100% sure one way or the other. Thankyou for any help.

Brent

Red Good

I have never done a cummins deisel but that is pretty standard procedure for rebuilding a motor . Heat the rods and freeze the bushings and press into place then hone to fit the piston pin . Hope this helps . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

kiko

Those are not the wrong bushings , they must be fitted after they are installed in connecting rod. As Red Good said you could hone them you self to a slip fit. I would suggest taking them to a machine shop to be installed and fitted. A good diesel machine shop will have the tolerance specs and would the be able to fit to spec rather than to feel. If you hone them yourself, make sure the hone is even all the way across.  don't  skip replacing the plastic piston cooling nozzles while it is down.

snowstorm

back when i went to diesel tech school[a long time ago] i remember fitting wrist pin bushings. seems like it was a sunnen honing machine.    like the others said take it to a machine shop

brent373

I had considered an engine shop, however I live in a remote area and and am somewhat of a time constraint. I am a machinist myself, just dont have any experience with these engines :)
These cummins bushings are a floating wrist pin design, so there should be no heating required to get the pins in.
As far as the bushings go, i would have expected to have to lap maybe a few thousandths out of the bushing for a close fit, but .020" seemed excessive.

I guess it seemed to me that if i were to remove .020" material from the ID of the bushing, it would remove all the babbit ?

brent373

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice.  Are these plastic piston cooling nozzles located in the block ?

Dave Shepard

It may be .020 on your pins, but it might only be .002 on a different engine. The machine for this is a Sunnen bushing hone. I'm about ten feet from one right now.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

kiko

Cooling nozzles are located in block, crank shaft must be removed.

Thank You Sponsors!