iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Franklin Skidder

Started by fudrockcity, October 19, 2013, 09:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fudrockcity

Hello,
I recently purchased a 1968 to 1970-ish Franklin 120 with a model 20 winch.  It has a 3 speed with High/Low and a Perkins diesel.  Any information you guys have on this particular machine I would greatly appreciate.  Where to get parts and specs, etc.  I am having trouble posting pictures. 
Thank you

mjeselskis

Don't know where you are, but any chance this is the one that was on craigslist in Brentwood, NH? If so, it looked like a steal. I thought about driving down to see it, but it sold while I was thinking...
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

thecfarm

fudrockcity,welcome to the forum.Going to be for your own use or have a logging business?
I suppose you have seen this thread about posting pictures?
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html
Follow EVERY step. Let us know what is giving you problems and we will help. Taking pictures with a phone?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fudrockcity

Yes, mj I bought the machine in Brentwood.  I got it home today and I was hoping to learn more about these skidders. I thought before I started digging in I'd like to develop a better understanding as to how these ol' Franklins tick , what to look for, a good parts resource, and anything else you guys have to offer.  Some parts/repair literature would be invaluable.  This is my first forum post but I've been reading these pages for years...great site! 

ga jones

There hard to get Franklin specific parts for. But on such an old machine not much is Franklin. The winch will be the biggest problem. Is it  cable operated. One lever engages the brake one engages the spool in .
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

ga jones

The last time I bought parts for my Franklin model 600 winch I bought from the Oliver stores.they only had half the stuff I needed. I had some parts machined.does it have 8 lug axles?
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

fudrockcity

Hi ga jones, you nailed it!  I have 8 lug axles and the two lever cable operated winch.  So who are the axle, differential and planetary manufacturers?  Also, who makes the trasmission and transfer case? One last thing, what are the Oliver stores and could they be a good source for my model 20 winch?  Sorry about all the questions I just want to learn as much as possible.  Internet information seems pretty scarce so I appreaciate your help.   

HiTech

Nice looking old skidder. I wouldn't be surprised but the parts can be interchanged with a C4 tree Farmer. They were 8 lug wheels. The planetary's and axles and stuff are probably the same.

loggah

Im pretty sure the axles are Rockwell, Oliver Stores were the first Franklin Dealers in the area and were in New Glouster(SP) Maine ,they had 4 stores ,one in Lancaster N.H.. They have been bought out by Anderson Equipment. If you need any parts  Eddie Nash and sons in Coldbrook N.H. had a bunch of them for spare parts.You did well buying that machine,decent price. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

There is a Oliver store in Farmington ME. If that helps.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ga jones

The axles are rockwell most likely pr52 need better pics of them.the transmission and transfer case I'm not sure. There different than tree farmer.

fudrockcity

Thanks everyone for your input.  The centers have up and down movement but not much lateral play.  Should the pins be shimmed, if so ho much? Also, how do I know if the boss is worn out?

loggah

If you mean the trunion where the rear pivots on , there is a large bronze bushing that even if its a bit loose i wouldn't worry about it. i think the transfer case is built by franklin. i may have so info on it ill try and find it.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Dave Shepard

The axles look like the Rockwells on the TJ208.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

fudrockcity

It's a 1968 skidder and the transfer case reads rockwell...but I could not read the nameplate on the 3spd transmission.  I got a chance to start tinkering today and in the process I realized the majority of the "up and down" play is behind the center pins in the carrier that allows the rear of the machine to ociliate indepently from the front.  I wonder if you guys have any experience with this phenomenon.
I am willing to take more pictures and upload if you think it will help in identifying various component manufactures...just let me know what you need to see.  You folks have already helped a bunch. 

Ford_man

I like the little Simplicity disc in the foreground , I bought one of them 58 yrs ago when I was 14. splitwood_smiley

loggah

1968 is pretty early, i have specs on a 1974 130a/xl.in the 74 rockwell pr64's were the standard axles, and a fuller 5a330 was the standard transmission, not sure on the earlier machines.

fudrockcity

Hi logga,
I hope to have an owners manual on order this week and a parts book for the winch and machine.  I was told today that they are probably pr61 and the transmission is a fuller 58330 four speed and a vickers hyd. pump.  The engine is a 436 Perkins.  I'm slowly learning more details by the day.  I am planning on taking apart that trunnion tomorrow. 
Thanks for the information

loggah

I think you will find the engine is a 4.236 Perkins ;D 4 cylinder ,236 cubic inch71 flywheel H.P.. Those perkins are good engines, i have two Massey tractors with a 4.203 ,and my brother has a 175 Massey Ferguson with the 4.236 engine in it.

fudrockcity

4.236  Funny, now that we're talking tractors.  I've got a Massey 65 with an AD4-203...good engine indeed I just recently rebuilt the infamous multi-power transmission on the old girl.  Now she runs like a top and I get engine braking to boot!  If you have a multi-power than I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

fudrockcity

Today I seperated the machine, removed the trunnion tube and the bronze bushings.  Made a nice puller and took some pictures incase anyone else out there decides to do same project on their Franklin.

Dave Shepard

Well, you're not bashful about getting into it. :D I took a skidder apart in my yard once. Got it back together too. Five years later. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

loggah

I did that once myself ,to a franklin forwarder  that rolled 10 times down a ski slope !!

Ed_K

Did that to my Taylor out in the woods, I'll NEVER do that again  :( :o.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!