iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Redwood log and my Lucas 618

Started by Peder McElroy, October 19, 2013, 07:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder McElroy

Using my Lucas 618 and a Redwood log I had I made this porch swing for my Grand Kids.

thecfarm

The mill looks nice,the wood looks nice,the swing looks nice and the Grandkids look nice. As you say,what more could you ask for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mikeb1079

peder i like your posts.  i just know i'm gonna see some really nice redwood logs.   :) :)
i can't remember, did you say that you live on an acre or 2?  mostly redwood i thought.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Nomad

Nice looking swing, and really cute kids too!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

JohnM

A swing made with a swing mill...NICE! ;) ;D  Looks great all the way around Peder!
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Seaman

Peder, great post and great kids!
I have been thinking about how to brace the post and still allow for lean as I crank the winches. Thanks for the pics, I see you have it figgered out already! Nice setup, I love to see post from other swingmillers.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

wormy

I saw  that first pic and thought man that's one heavy bench ;D. That's a nice looking mill you got.  sweet looking grandchildren and bench swing congrats.

Peder McElroy

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

It is always nice to see logs that I will never be able to saw.   :)  Nice craftsmanship on the swing.  Love the kids. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sigidi

Great little story Peder, good looking pics  ;D what do you use to get your logs into the mill?
Always willing to help - Allan

Left Coast Chris

VERY good looking Peder!  Great work.   

I do notice though that it is for the kids but the seat is full adult size.  Only a matter of time until a 300 lb adult sits in it?  Maybe consider your chain strength and connections for safety.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Jemclimber

A very nice swing/bench. Thanks for the pictures.
lt15

Peder McElroy

Left Coast , I'm 225 and my wife @ 125 with kids so far so good. I move the logs with my Toyota fork lift and log arch that I made.

logboy

Nice mill and nice log.  How does that stuff cut? Have you slabbed any of it into tables?
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

forestrunner

Nice setup and pictures!  I think we're neighbors.  I have a Lucas 830 and am cutting similar logs over near the coast from you.

brianb88

30 acres of redwood??  WOW! :o  Nice looking swing.
Measure twice, cut once

Darrel

Grand kids are the best!  You also did a great job of turning a log into something beautiful.  It's been more than 20 years since I've cut any redwood but seeing that pic brought back the olfactory memories.  It amazes me how I can almost smell it just seeing a picture of a freshly cut redwood log. I'll be in California this fall and will get an opportunity to cut some redwood for my father-in-law. I'm really looking forward to it.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Peder McElroy

Yes Redwood is great and smells and feels good.

drobertson

Looks great Peder! I really would like a chance to saw redwood.  It looks great, and lasts for what  seems like forever,  we need to see some more of your adventures with the redwood, thanks for sharing,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Darrel

Quote from: Peder McElroy on June 14, 2014, 01:12:33 AM
Yes Redwood is great and smells and feels good.
H

Redwood slivers under the skin don't feel good though!  I think I must have an allergic reaction to them.  I swell up and get all festered within an hour, so I won't even touch the stuff without gloves on.  But redwood is still one of my favorite woods.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!