iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 new pine vids (skidder in action vid #2)

Started by CCC4, October 19, 2013, 09:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Here are a couple videos I shot finishing up a 300 acre tract of timber. The 2nd video is the last 3 trees I fell on this property.

CFarm....you been asking...here's the skidder  popcorn_smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV-XPd47Q6g&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxxXV_8BJdc&feature=c4-overview&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CCC4

I must be posting too many videos on here...my apologies fellas, just figured maybe you guys would like them. Thanks for viewing...I will tone the # of videos down.  ;D

nmurph

The face cuts look too deep and you cut through the holding wood. The helmet cam makes you dizzy. The constant blipping of the throttle is annoying. Otherwise, great vid!!!!

Seriously, I can't see any holding wood on the stump which means you have very little steering ability and the tree is more likely to jump back as it commits.

beenthere

nmurph
You've been missing out on the more complete versions of what CCC4 is showing in his vids. The vids are great IMO, and the helmet cam shows just where CCC4 is looking to clear brush, determine drop zone, look up for limbs that might fall, his routine getting the wedge out, the backcut, and etc.
What CCC4 has been showing is his technique for dropping trees that involves a deep notch and a backcut with no hinge. There is holding wood there until he saws through it  ;D
Seems to work quite well for him and he gets wood on the ground in a hurry.
He is doing it to show his method, and not doing it to make a pleasing video like non-blipping throttle for the listener. So much better to hear the sounds that are happening rather than some music playing, IMO.

I appreciate CCC4 making the vids and tolerating the critiques from us who wouldn't video our felling habits for all to take pot shots at here. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terry f

RayMO

It would sure be nice if a few of the more outspoken critics would post a couple of videos of themselves demonstrating their superior methods and techniques for putting trees on the ground  8)
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

WmFritz

I also appreciate your vids. Keep em coming.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WDH

Your technique might not be for everyone, but you are really good at it.  I have learned a few things from your videos.  You do a nice job with them. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Stephen Alford

CCC4 its great to see how others do things. Please do not mistake silence for lack of interest.  Thanks again.
logon

jwilly3879

Seems like everyone has their own way of doing things. The fellow that taught me used about the same as CCC4 but cut the notch down, not like a humbolt and once the tree committed he would saw off the hinge. My son uses an open face felling notch and bore cut on some, others he skips the bore cut but on hardwood he will bore in the center of the notch leaving hinge wood on either side. I've gotten to the point that I'll let the younger guys do the felling, I second guess myself too much.

g_man

I am also enjoying your videos - Thank you for taking the time to post them. A great demonstration of expert work.

I have another question. Why do you take the face cut wedge out in two separate pieces ( 3 cuts ) on that pine and on the nice oak you showed before you took the wedge out in one piece and two cuts ?

Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!