iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stumpjumping

Started by luvmexfood, October 19, 2013, 07:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

I have searched to see if I could find what this means without asking. Curiosity has gotten the best of me. Can someone explain what stumpjumping is?
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

beenthere

I've asked too, but no one seems to have an explanation. So I gather that it means different things to different people.
Best I gather from the replies, is it is a method of cutting trees without purposely leaving a hinge, and making the backcut the same height as the notch formed with a humbolt design.

Could be wrong assumption.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Piston

Beenthere,
I bet your assumption is closer than mine. 

I had a mountain bike made by Specialized, called a Stumpjumper.  I figured the term Stumpjumping just meant riding the bike on some knarly singletrack  ;D

I'll be interested to see what it really means.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Al_Smith

To me it means cutting off near ground level without a wedge type face cut .Using maybe a wedge to lift it off the stump without any directional fall cut .

It might work okay in the middle of a big field but a person should be rather fleet of foot else the thing could chase you all over the place .It most likely will in fact .

Rocky_Ranger

Back in the days of the mid-70's and CB radios were the redneck kings, my "handle" was the stumpjumper.  Being a forester and skidding logs with a Cat 518, that seemed appropriate. However, Bushhog brand rotary cutters have/had a feature called the stumpjumper; it was a large round disc that sat above the blades and rotated with the blades, but protected the main vertical shaft from stumps.  It worked most of the time.  But the real definition is "one who jumps stumps"; make it what you want. ;D
RETIRED!

CCC4

I figure the reason there is a cloudy definition is due to how many people are against stump jumping. You can just mention it or show a vid and people are like...who cuts like that, where's your holding wood, where's your direction, stump jumping leaves a jack strawed mess....yadda yadda yadda. I think part of the dislike of stump jumping is how long you have to camp on the stump...while others head for the hills, a stump jumper needs to camp out and burn his hinge....YOU HAVE TO LEARN "IF" AND "WHEN" TO RUN.

All stump jumping is is basically cutting corners to get the most wood on the ground for your day. It can be used directionally for lay, and it is just an all around fast way to put timber on the ground.

OLD MAN GRINDER

Quote from: Rocky_Ranger on October 19, 2013, 09:48:22 AM
Back in the days of the mid-70's and CB radios were the redneck kings, my "handle" was the stumpjumper.  Being a forester and skidding logs with a Cat 518, that seemed appropriate. However, Bushhog brand rotary cutters have/had a feature called the stumpjumper; it was a large round disc that sat above the blades and rotated with the blades, but protected the main vertical shaft from stumps.  It worked most of the time.  But the real definition is "one who jumps stumps"; make it what you want. ;D

Me to, my handle was stumpjumper and my wife was lady stumpjumper...when i moved to ohio from pa, they called people from pa stumpjumpers thats why i took that handle, ironic isn't it, now live in texas for the last 32 years and i am a stumpgrinder LOL....

Bob..... 8)
If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything..

sawguy21

I have heard it used to describe a hick, hillbilly. According to Wikipedia, it comes from breeding within the family tree or 'stump jumping'.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

They used to call linesmen stump jumpers .

Then of course is the fabled stump broke cow but rather than elaborate I'll just stop at that . :-X

Oh say that stump jumper in the middle of a Woods mower works real good --for a stump .Not so good on a big rock .Fact I managed to strip the gears out of one on a big rock I didn't see once .I suppose it might have had something to with my using a grade 8 bolt for a shear pin . ::)

luvmexfood

Boy I know about those big rocks. Where I live (southwest Va.) we have these white rocks that are everywhere. My garden is probably 30' x 60' and I have raked and hauled probably 10 wheelbarrow loads of them out of it. Plow it and sometimes you will get one as big as a basketball out.

Cleared my skid path out and three days later it is full of anywhere from softball size rocks to football size rocks. Just don't like to run overthem with trailer tires or truck tires.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

thecfarm

Basketballsize??? ::)  Try as big as a small car,and that's the part that can be seen.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Well you don't have to worry about somebody stealing it for a landscaping rock .

thecfarm

I have many that could be stolen. I would turn my back on them thiefs.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nemologger

Around here stumpjumping refers to a tree that comes off of the stump and plows a hole in the ground. Like if it fell west and the tree would slide off of the stump going east.
Clean and Sober

shortlogger

I'm guilty of stump jumping ..... maybe it's a arky thing ?
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Piston

Quote from: shortlogger on October 20, 2013, 02:25:49 AM

By which definition?   :D
Quote from: sawguy21 on October 19, 2013, 12:23:06 PM
According to Wikipedia, it comes from breeding within the family tree or 'stump jumping'.

Quote from: Nemologger on October 19, 2013, 08:54:56 PM
Around here stumpjumping refers to a tree that comes off of the stump and plows a hole in the ground. Like if it fell west and the tree would slide off of the stump going east.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

treeslayer2003

Quote from: shortlogger on October 20, 2013, 02:25:49 AM
I think it a south thing lol. I guilty to. that's how I was tought at first. 20 plus years later I have my own ways, depending on what i'm cutting where.

exSW

Quote from: Nemologger on October 19, 2013, 08:54:56 PM
Yep,I notched it ,wedged it,put a line on it and it still"jumped the stump"
"well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison"

RayMO

Stump Jumping is just that , jumping the tree off the stump when felling. No hinge ( tree cut off clean,low and level )  and little if any notch and it can be directional in nature if you know what you are doing. I have had trees jump several feet with the but being back over the stump.
Very fast high production method for the very seasoned faller. It can be directional if the tree has at least a slight lean as you side fall/pull the tree by cuting the last bit of wood to one side of the natural lean pulling the tree off to one side.
  This method should only be used with a very powerfull saw with very sharp chain with the drags filed on the short side for extra fast cutting and bare minium on bar length.
Most of the time the under cut is made very deeply to the verge of bar pinching with the bar being pushed in and out of the cut to keep the cut open as long as possible before going to the side/back cut.This is to help prevent splitting on the leaners.
At least that is the definition of stump jumping here in the midwest and makes for nice low stumps and clean log buts.
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

Paul_H

It would get you fired and blackballed out west.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

tlandrum

we also call it walking it off the stump.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

treeslayer2003

Quote from: tlandrum on October 20, 2013, 02:18:13 PM
we also call it walking it off the stump.
yea, i'v herd that here too.
hey Terry, is that yer ranger?

tlandrum

it was . i sold it about 3 months ago when i got completely out of the woods. between lymes disease and the terrible weather we have had in this area over the past 3 years it was time for change. i miss being in the woods terribly but i just cant physically do it anymore. im suppose to have my ankle fused to my leg this winter making getting around in the woods even more difficult.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

treeslayer2003

jeez Terry, i'm sorry to hear that. I knew ya had sumthin goin on but I hadn't followed it. we have a couple of older rangers, I like um. shame Whaley's went out, they were a good dealer. i'd loved to had yer skidder, day late dollar short.

CCC4

Quote from: RayMO on October 20, 2013, 11:52:26 AM
Stump Jumping is just that , jumping the tree off the stump when felling. No hinge ( tree cut off clean,low and level )  and little if any notch and it can be directional in nature if you know what you are doing. I have had trees jump several feet with the but being back over the stump.
Very fast high production method for the very seasoned faller. It can be directional if the tree has at least a slight lean as you side fall/pull the tree by cuting the last bit of wood to one side of the natural lean pulling the tree off to one side.
  This method should only be used with a very powerfull saw with very sharp chain with the drags filed on the short side for extra fast cutting and bare minium on bar length.
Most of the time the under cut is made very deeply to the verge of bar pinching with the bar being pushed in and out of the cut to keep the cut open as long as possible before going to the side/back cut.This is to help prevent splitting on the leaners.
At least that is the definition of stump jumping here in the midwest and makes for nice low stumps and clean log buts.

Spot on definition there RayMo

Thank You Sponsors!