iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Next saw up from Husqvarna 353

Started by LeeK, October 18, 2013, 03:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeK

(First post)  I have one and only one saw: Husqvarna 353.  It had died and Andy from West Hill Saw House up here in Vermont resurrected it with an XP top and used his new lathe to open the port up a little.  Runs better than before, I have to say.  The only problem is the xp top exhaust has burned a little u-hole in the casing, right near my knuckle, I need to find something to redirect to cool off my knuckle. Any ideas?  Anyways, I would like to get a 2nd saw (at least), what is the next click up from what I have? 
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 353, ported, xp top
2-Way Honda-Powered Splitter
'94 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4, 8' bed, inspected

tolman_paul

celliott

Assuming he put a 346xp top end on it?
Next step up saw would be 357xp \562xp, a 372xp would complement the 50cc saw nicely though.

On the exhaust redirect, a husky 266xp muffler deflector might do the trick.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

outdoortype

What about metallic tape like muffler tape?

SawTroll

Quote from: outdoortype on October 18, 2013, 09:50:05 PM
What about metallic tape like muffler tape?

Could be a good idea - but I suspect the muffler mod isn't done right?  ???
Information collector.

John Mc

Hi, Lee.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

I have an aging 357 XP that you are welcome to try sometime.  (Maybe next time we're out cutting firewood at LHCF?)  It may be a bit close in size to your 353, but it would give you an idea.

In new saws, the 555 or 562xp might be a possibility.  The 562xp is certainly a step up from the 353 (the 555 is as well, but a smaller step).  You could go even larger, but whether it's worth it depends on what size wood you are cutting, and your tolerance for lugging around a heavier saw.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mikey517

I have a Husky 353, and am awaiting the arrival of a 365 X-TORQ (71cc, basically a de-tuned 372XP).

This seems to be the ideal 2 saw plan for home firewood cuttin'

SawTroll

The natural next step in size is the 562xp, but it depends on what you are going to use the larger saw for.
Information collector.

grweldon

Quote from: mikey517 on October 23, 2013, 05:54:15 PM
I have a Husky 353, and am awaiting the arrival of a 365 X-TORQ (71cc, basically a de-tuned 372XP).

This seems to be the ideal 2 saw plan for home firewood cuttin'

I would think the 365 X-Torq would be a great saw.  I have the basic 365 model and I like it.  I love the way the engine sounds like a dirt bike!  It cuts well too!  :)
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

LeeK

Well, I cut my own firewood, plus a little more, so I do 6+ cords/year.  I am a shareholder in a community forest and we have marked-out firewood lots that favor our crop trees, so I am cutting smaller stuff, typically, but sometimes a big'un is painted.  The 353 is just right for most of the cutting I'm doing, it will drop anything with the correct strategy, and it's light enough so I can wade through  the tops real easy.  I'm thinking, however, when that butt log is laying there, that I could just lay a bigger saw down on it and be like hot knife through butter.  I have a 20" bar on the 353, which is the longest spec, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have gone a little shorter.  It takes a delicate touch when I'm buried to the hilt to not bind.  However, the 20" means I don't have to bend over so much when limbing the dropped top and I can go higher, too.  Anyways, a 2nd saw means I don't have to knock off the session if something goes wrong.  No, I don't have CAD.  Honest.  Really. Not me.
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 353, ported, xp top
2-Way Honda-Powered Splitter
'94 Chevy Cheyenne 4x4, 8' bed, inspected

tlandrum

since you already have a 50cc saw i would venture into the 70cc class of saw for your next saw. you could also look into the jonsered line.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

mikey517

Quote from: LeeK on October 24, 2013, 09:10:46 AM
Well, I cut my own firewood, plus a little more, so I do 6+ cords/year.  I am a shareholder in a community forest and we have marked-out firewood lots that favor our crop trees, so I am cutting smaller stuff, typically, but sometimes a big'un is painted.  The 353 is just right for most of the cutting I'm doing, it will drop anything with the correct strategy, and it's light enough so I can wade through  the tops real easy.  I'm thinking, however, when that butt log is laying there, that I could just lay a bigger saw down on it and be like hot knife through butter.  I have a 20" bar on the 353, which is the longest spec, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have gone a little shorter.  It takes a delicate touch when I'm buried to the hilt to not bind.  However, the 20" means I don't have to bend over so much when limbing the dropped top and I can go higher, too.  Anyways, a 2nd saw means I don't have to knock off the session if something goes wrong.  No, I don't have CAD.  Honest.  Really. Not me.

Most of what I usually cut for firewood could be done with the 353. Last year I cut a truck load of logs with a 20". This year, my buddy hooked me up with a home owner with a large spread and a ton of ash trees down on the ground. It's all mine to cut at my pace, and into next summer if need be. I've been using a Carlton 18" and the saw runs much better. I've been cutting a bunch, then I'll pick up a truck load and split / stack it at my
house. I'm now into the large trunks, and even the wife remarked that a new saw seems necessary.
I was close to getting the Stihl 391, but my dealer was out of stock. I came close to picking up the MS362 until an off hand comment to the owner of the saw shop about how I thought I missed the boat on a 365 XT. With that, and a computer search, he found one on the system, and gave me a deal (same price as the MS362) with a 24" and financing.

So it goes....

Thank You Sponsors!