iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my eyes on a sweet new old saw. Gonna dyno it first.

Started by chadihman, October 17, 2013, 06:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadihman

I have my eyes on a Stihl 064 that's almost new. It has a 066 red light jug on it and a custom twin chrome piped muffler. I'm going to dyno it against my 660 that's stock except for a dual port muffler. What you guys think? Will it kill a new 660?

mastermind7864

I think it would run better with a 064 jug on it......  :new_year:

chainsaw dog

Don t know !!! Bring it up here i d love to try it on some big rock maples
New saws don't have personalities until they're old

Icehouse

Don't know what your dyno's going to say but you will love that old saw. It is some lighter than the 660, which means a lot to these old bones.     ::)
Favorite Stihl ms361 ms064 Favorite Husky 242xp 262xp

exSW

"well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison"

Al_Smith

Fred AKA Stihl Boy I think had an 064 with a bolt on big bore kit that ran very well .I can't remember exactly where it came from .As for that model I wouldn't mind having one myself .

HolmenTree

Quote from: mastermind7864 on October 17, 2013, 07:24:01 PM
I totally agree, also put a 084 carb on it. ;)
Here's my 1986 064 [14.1 lb powerhead] that I modified in 1988 with 084 carb, 4 finger ports etc.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

In the summer of 1988 I competed at a timbersport competition at Sayward on Vancouver Island with that 064 but with the stock carb.
Ron Hartill who was 7 time World lumberjack champion at Hayward Wisconson took 1st with his stock appearing 100cc Poulan Pro 655.
We were cutting 16" cottonwood, 3 cuts with cold start. I was 1.9 sec slower then Ron and I only came in 6 th place.
I did stall the chain at the bottom of the last cut briefly, not accustomed to their soft cottonwood I guess. But I was really happy with myself seeing the competition I was up against from all over the world.
Later that fall I installed the 084 carb and was very happy with the gains it gave to the 85cc 064, but I never did get to go back out to the coast to compete with the big boys again.

mastermind7864

Here's an old 064 I built a few years ago......I gave it to the guy in the video......he likes that sort of stuff more than me......I a worksaw sort of person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTWRLMj22iA

mad murdock

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 17, 2013, 11:49:25 PM
Quote from: mastermind7864 on October 17, 2013, 07:24:01 PM
I totally agree, also put a 084 carb on it. ;)
Here's my 1986 064 [14.1 lb powerhead] that I modified in 1988 with 084 carb, 4 finger ports etc.

That would make a nice daily driver!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HolmenTree

Yes she rips alright , but l'd have to put a air filter on it . I prime the carb with a little eye drop bottle filled with gas, easy to carry in my pocket.

Al_Smith

I've seen souped 064s' run in competition and they did well .How ever when matched with 3120s' and 084s' the displacement difference usually won . Fine work saw one cannot deny that .

HolmenTree

Yes the 3120, 084 is a different breed  of animal. In 16" and under wood they go neck and neck with my Yamaha YZ 125 bikesaw. Once I was beat fair and square in 10"X10" by a Stihl 090 with cutoff head, oversize transfer covers and kart carb on reed valve.
That was with hot start too.

Al_Smith

That wouldn't per chance have been Art Martin would it ?

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 19, 2013, 01:38:41 PM
That wouldn't per chance have been Art Martin would it ?
No it wasn't Art. This was back in 1990 and the owner/operator was Bob Braden from Regina, Saskatchewan.  Bob was a Stihl  dealer from what the reps informed me did  2 million $  in yearly sales for Stihl way back then.  Hee also had a 084 with the same mods at the 2 day  competition but fried it's piston on the 1st day.
These saws were built by a head Stihl Canada rep with some French Canadien influence from a builder in Quebec. I'll try and dig up some pics and post later.

Thank You Sponsors!