Previous topic - Next topic

Peacock

Speak for yourself!  ;)
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

mesquite buckeye

You just wait, whippersnapper! ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SPIKER

"Run away Run Away! !"  8)

There is a old hard maple along US30 close to SR60 in Ashland County on the north side (1 mile or so east of SR60) that has a REAL good Halloween look to it, if I could get a pic driving by it would be nice to post here.   It has a perfect Dorthy from OZ kind of evil tree look.   It is on cornet of field/woods probably a cornet post tree.   Two large branches off each side and remnants with hollows for eyes and face near top that has been missing a long time.   One of these days would be great to stick a couple of those LED solar Night Lights in the top to freak out people driving by lol.... :D :o

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

jwilly3879

This one was called the 3000 year old tree by the grandkids when they were little.

Left Coast Chris

Ponderosa Pine in Lassen County (somewhat arid environment)

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

grweldon

Quote from: jwilly3879 on November 04, 2013, 05:44:52 PM
This one was called the 3000 year old tree by the grandkids when they were little.

That is one strange looking tree!  If we had a contest, I think you should win!  What kind of tree is it?  Sweet gum?   :D
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

SwampDonkey

Those kind of white pine are commonly left behind on woodlots around here. Can't even put a value on them. Great future tree crop to be left behind they figure. :D

I kid you not, the new 4-lane highway had to be relocated to save a couple knarly pine just about like that, one was even bigger in girth. Great fortunes to be had. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Clark

There is something very Suess-esque about that white pine.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

jwilly3879

I'll get a foto from the road where you can see how it dwarfs the trees around it. My neighbor has threatened to cut it down as it blocks his view. He stupidly said this to several of my friends who gave him some good advice, "STAY AWAY!"

It is about 100 yards from where we are building our house and doesn't block our view.

The previous forester on the job we are cutting marked several trees like this and was upset when they weren't cut. We had showed them to the LO and there was no way he wanted them gone.

NWP

There are a few of these at the place we're cutting now. The surrounding trees are a lot smaller as you can see. Most of what we are cutting is around 50 ish years old by my count on rings. I would guess this was pasture once upon a time with a few white oaks scattered about.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Magicman

"Pasture" trees that are allowed to grow without any competition that forces them to grow tall and self prune.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Small Slick

If I were managing my forest, 160 acres almost all oak and maple, for mainly wildlife with financial gain a secondary goal. Would I want to leave the wolf trees?

John

mesquite buckeye

Good question. I used to think kill them all, as they won't ever produce much in the way of high quality timber. I think there is another purpose beyond things like den trees. When the big winds come, these big old veterans can take a lot more straight line wind than the tall thin forest trees, thereby offering some protection as embedded windbreaks in the forest. If they aren't everywhere, just here and there, I'd leave them. They will go away eventually and contribute to forest soil fertility when they finally expire. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

I have many and they will stay.  They produce acorns for wildlife and also some acorns helps to seed/reseed as they are carried and dropped by birds. 

This is my second largest.  These old veterans have earned their place on Earth.  Above fishpharmer makes a visit.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ancjr

Not prime examples, but I have a few here

Old maple near the back corner

Tulip poplar near the middle of the lot

Black cherry, no longer with us, but man, was it a monster!

thecfarm

Them trees really take some room up around them. But than if you fall them,they need some room to fall.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

Well put. If felled they take out more than what growth you are losing to the space. Of course if they tip over on their own you have the same problem. When I do take one out I usually kill it in place and let it break up. Most of the branches fall straight down and don't hurt the rest of the stand. ;D

ancjr

Quote from: thecfarm on January 27, 2014, 10:14:26 AM
Them trees really take some room up around them. But than if you fall them,they need some room to fall.

Purdue Forestry recommends girdling them and letting nature take its course.  Makes sense.. they become nesting trees for bats, woodpecker and insect fodder for a time before they become forrest floor habitat and finally mulch and fertilizer.  :)

mesquite buckeye

There was an old, huge white ash tree in Ohio in a little triangle of land that nobody ever bothered between a railroad track, Muddy Creek and the dirt mountain stripped off the limestone at the J. E. Baker plant near Helena. The ground around it was covered with knee high poison ivy. Checked it out closely in 1997. The trunk was about 9 feet in diameter, a real monster. Only had maybe an 8-12 ft long trunk, then split up into a bunch of very spreading branches. Wolf tree. It was quite decadent at the time and we wanted to get it measured to submit it as a possible national champion white ash. Very cool. I'm sure it is long dead now between the EAB and bad drought. Maybe the trunk or part of it is still standing. 8)

SwampDonkey

There is one of them ash on an old farm, that I assume was there before it was cleared 130 years ago, now the woods is all grown back up and the ash still stands. That thing has seeded the whole pasture around it in ash. Ash will produce a pile of seed at times. It's along a wet run that goes dry in summer, but lots of moisture in this country. It has a couple massive trunks near the ground that are over 4' wide each I never measured it, could be a lot wider. But 4' for sure. I've seen enough 4' sugar maple on crown land to gauge the size. It's gotta be real old. Anything that big is real old up here especially a hardwood.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

g_man

I have one less now. Standing that is. This big maple blew over.  It was still producing lots of foliage even though it was hollow. My neighbor used to stand inside it and use it for a deer blind. I can walk right under it the way it is now.

g_man

Here is a White Birch 37"  dbh. I didn't girdle it but it is dead. You can see the pieces are starting to come down and litter the ground.

thecfarm

I got a yellow birch like that. I know I'm safe to say 3 feet across.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

The biggest tree I have on the woodlot is a yellow birch. It grew with the white cedar. It has a really huge wide crown, not a dead limb on it. But, the last time I measured it about 7 or 8 years ago it was around 26" I think. The yellow is all gone from the bark on the but log. The bark has turned all platy. I got a picture of a white birch and yellow birch around 40 inches in diameter from "up Tobique" (as we used to say) on a hardwood ridge. Don't see much for big wood on woodlots, most people around here can't stand to let one get bigger than 10". :D

Small Slick

So I gather that sheer interest is why we keep the big fun to look at trees. I like them too I suppose the chances are decent that there will be rot anyway.  Do you guys think the lumber would be good. Could you even get these trees on the mill?  I will have to get a pic of the one at the old farm and post it.

John

Thank You Sponsors!